Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,694 times

Advertisements

Can I answer if I'm from Hutto? Good question. Haven't found the place yet. Somewhere where there is never a threat of tornado, hurricane, or earthquakes, or tsunamis, or volcano's. lol Looking for a small town from about 100 years ago, lot's of trees, no big box stores, quaint, out in the middle of no-where. Perhaps, considering renovating an old missile silo. I'm partially serious in this post. Most of all looking for a much slower pace. Hutto, Austin, surrounding areas are too fast for my taste. I wish people would SLOW DOWN. But, that's my controlling nature, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,691 times
My husband's family is from PA and I keep having this vision of a rambling stone house outside of Philly where it is super green with moderate summer temps and a "close" proximity to the shore, cape, NYC, DC, etc. I do love Austin, however, and plan to stay for some time.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellavampirella View Post
I moved to Kansas City for my husbands job, and I love my old midtown neighborhood with it's vigorous four seasons. We live in a 100yr old house and can walk to everything. BUT we chose that location for those reasons. The real estate is cheaper but it balances out with the taxes. If we moved back to Austin not sure where I'd like to live, possibly Mueller.

But I DO miss the food .... KC's BBQ is not my taste, but I keep it to myself hehehhe. I do think there is a vibrancy in Austin that I can't pinpoint. But for as Artsy as Austin has a reputation, it's mostly the private underground scene that's bubbling. The Salon/Coffee/Restaurant art scene is more vibrant. I DO like the public ART in Kansas City and volunteer with the Nelson Atkins Museum. That FAIL under the railroad bridge on Lamar still makes me laugh. Hopefully with the new high rises with come better public art.

So far I'm OK with Kansas City, we have a new Mayor and that could be good. They've had a rough time with the Economy. I like snow and tree-lined streets and the quaintness of Westport. They have plenty of live music and things Austin has it's just not as spontaneous and it's spread out all over the sprawl. The weather wouldn't support a year round Lunch Cart environment.

Former KC area resident, I found your comments interesting. The Westport area is so small, with little music selection, and got old for me after 2 years. Same with the Plaza, there's only so many times you can go to the Christmas lighting festival or walk around and shop at overpriced boutique shops or eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

Midtown is nice for sure, if it's the part that I'm thinking (right south on Ward Parkway from the Plaza?) but I heard the schools are horrible there and the crime is questionable anywhere in KC proper. I personally hated the four seasons, winter is bitter cold, too cold to do anything, summer is blistering hot, as hot as Texas but doesn't last as long, and spring is full of thunderstorms and tornadoes where you rarely get two days of uninterrupted sunshine. The only season that's nice in KC is early fall, from September to late October. That was just not enough of a timeframe to enjoy the city.

About the food, you mean you don't like molassses on everything from baked beans to barbeque sauce?? Actually, I found some of the KC barbeque to be quite good. I never really liked KC Masterpiece, the sauce is way too thick and caramel like, too much molasses. However, Jack Stack was always good, loved the onion rings there (best I've ever had) and they had delicious baked beans with beef in them, albeit sweet. That was different than the baked beans here which are spicy and robust with pork in them. Another thing I liked was the burnt ends, now that is some "good eats" and I've found no other place besides KC where you can get that. I also like the cole slaw up there, it was less creamy up there, just cabbage with a dab of vinegar and possibly a little mayo. KC steaks were to die for though, and arguably better than TX steaks. Hereford House never did disappoint. Overall I think the hat is tipped to Austin though as nothing beats our brisket here.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Can I answer if I'm from Hutto? Good question. Haven't found the place yet. Somewhere where there is never a threat of tornado, hurricane, or earthquakes, or tsunamis, or volcano's. lol Looking for a small town from about 100 years ago, lot's of trees, no big box stores, quaint, out in the middle of no-where. Perhaps, considering renovating an old missile silo. I'm partially serious in this post. Most of all looking for a much slower pace. Hutto, Austin, surrounding areas are too fast for my taste. I wish people would SLOW DOWN. But, that's my controlling nature, eh?
Sounds like a New England town would fit the bill. No earthquakes rule out the West Coast, no hurricanes rule out the Gulf coast, no tornadoes rule out the Midwest, so all that is left is New England. Also, they tend to have less big boxes up there, especially in the small towns.

I'd think a town like Burlington, VT may suit your needs, if you can bear the winter.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Quote:
Smithville? Breham? Marathon? Marfa?

Otherwise, try rural Nebraska, eastern Oklahoma along Hwy 69?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM

52 posts, read 112,134 times
[quote=cBach;19358716]Former KC area resident, I found your comments interesting. The Westport area is so small, with little music selection, and got old for me after 2 years. Same with the Plaza, there's only so many times you can go to the Christmas lighting festival or walk around and shop at overpriced boutique shops or eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

Well I actually live in Volker and mostly walk to the 39th St district... LOVE Blue Koi and Aladdins and Record Bar or West Siders have all walks of music. I don't really go to the plaza except for happy hour.

But I do spend a lot of time outside walking my dogs except the 3 months of winter. I just got tired of the constant 100 degree heat and need for water. But in Austin I did like everyone else and did early morning or after dark things in the yard.

And the schools are horrible everywhere here as far as I can tell, both KS and MO are having troubles. If I had school aged kids I'd stay in Austin, in fact I did move back to Austin from Chicago when I had a kid to raise her there, because I didn't want to deal with unknown school systems.

She went to Griffin School btw which is a great school.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,813 times
Quote:
You didn't mention anything about not wanting cold weather so I would say the towns in the Berkshires of western MA would be perfect. Amherst/Northampton if you want to be a little closer to major highways and cities.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
My husband's family is from PA and I keep having this vision of a rambling stone house outside of Philly where it is super green with moderate summer temps and a "close" proximity to the shore, cape, NYC, DC, etc. I do love Austin, however, and plan to stay for some time.
That's too funny! Your vision sounds just like our house....and we're trying to move to Austin! Maybe we should trade places?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:52 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I think every city will always hold a validity of "specialness" no matter how big it grows. I will say that Austin will be the only city in Texas to boast a character thats entirely its own even after 20 years from now. I would even go as far to say that in 30 or 40 years Austin, along with "maybe" Dallas or Fort Worth, will be the only true urban city in Texas.
Fort Worth and San Antonio have character and will continue to. And Houston is already more "urban" than both and Austin.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
That's too funny! Your vision sounds just like our house....and we're trying to move to Austin! Maybe we should trade places?
That is! What brings you to Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin