Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM

95 posts, read 181,910 times

Advertisements

Hi,
as I'm new to Austin and to the locale temperatures I've some doubts in the way I'm using the sprinkler system in the house I'm renting.

The garden is broken in 7-8 zones, with different durations of nightly watering, from 8 to 15 minutes, twice a week (recurrence limited by HOA). Even do the front garden is turning yellow now... and even if this is the zone with the longer setup (15min).

Honestly I've inherited the sprinkler setup from the owner, so I thought it could be right, but while sides and back garden are ok (they've a lot of shade) the front garden is giving me some concerns.

I know every area of the town can be different, and maybe the gras quality as well...but anyone can share experiences? Should I increase again my water bill :-( , or this is just the way it is in summer time (I've got some opinion like..there's nothing I can do)?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,502 times
Best thing to do is to put out several tuna cans (or something else with straight sides) in one zone and turn that zone on for 10 min. The measure the amount of water in each can with a ruler and average. That will tell you how long to run each zone. Do this for each zone because they will all be different due to the differences in pressure and different types of spray heads.

You want to water at least 1 inch per week in each zone. One inch should be fine in shady areas but water more in sunny areas. I'm doing 1 1/4 inch since temps are staying around 100.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,655,378 times
Also due to the ground not soaking up water I water in 2 cycles about 15 min each time(about 1.5 hours apart) to help get things soaked but brown is a good summer color here which appeared early this year!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Also due to the ground not soaking up water I water in 2 cycles about 15 min each time(about 1.5 hours apart) to help get things soaked but brown is a good summer color here which appeared early this year!
I second this.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Two years ago, nearly every house in our neighborhood got a new roof--thanks to the hail storms. The official color suggested by the HOA is commonly called 'Weathered Wood'. If this drought keeps up, that will also be the 'official color' for the lawns around here!

BTW, the tuna cans can actually overflow if the sprinkler rate is very high...would be hard to get an accurate measurement if that happens.

I run the three most 'critical' zones of our yard(out of nine) a couple of hours before the full cycle runs. That gives time for the water to soak in before it gets a second dousing.(At least that's what I think is happening at 5AM...can't say I'm up checking at that time!)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
BTW, the tuna cans can actually overflow if the sprinkler rate is very high...would be hard to get an accurate measurement if that happens.
Wow! I don't have any zones that can fill up a tuna can in 10 min. That would be over 1 1/2 inches in 10 min - impressive! Maybe I have different spray heads or lower pressure.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Wow! I don't have any zones that can fill up a tuna can in 10 min. That would be over 1 1/2 inches in 10 min - impressive! Maybe I have different spray heads or lower pressure.
I doubt you would want that. That's the scenario where most of that water will run off. It's better to water an inch an hour if you can regulate it. The water will soak in much deeper resulting in deeper roots that will then need less watering eventually.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
That would be a pretty fast sprinkler rate. I was thinking more of the old recommendation of allowing the full cycle to run and then checking the 'tuna can' gauge. I actually prefer the foil packs for tuna ; but some of our doggie's food comes in a similar sized can...those usually hit the recycling bin.

One of our neighbors just installed the 'underground' system for their 'nuisance strip'...talk about hard to measure! Guess the flow rate is pre-set and you just keep an eye on things. Heck, with these 20+ mph winds every watering day, we end up watering our neighbors' yards anyway! Those 'misting' heads are particularly annoying. Gimme a decent spray of water any time, not some eau de cologne atomizer spray that's going to waft down the street in the breeze!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Heck, with these 20+ mph winds every watering day, we end up watering our neighbors' yards anyway! Those 'misting' heads are particularly annoying. Gimme a decent spray of water any time, not some eau de cologne atomizer spray that's going to waft down the street in the breeze!
I agree! I try to change my watering days to match the forecast of calm wind days but that's proving to be difficult. They are either wrong about the wind forecast - like this morning or it's just windy all the time.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,655,378 times
set the sprinkler system to go off about 3-4 am when the winds are low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin