Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm not sure why some Austinites get so defensive when you mention something it doesn't have.
What, you never figured out that's just how it is? Of course we're not all like that, some of us are more realistic.... but collectively it is very common for Austinites. Either that, or start bringing up the other cities that supposedly have it "worse" rather than admit a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
What, you never figured out that's just how it is? Of course we're not all like that, some of us are more realistic.... but collectively it is very common for Austinites. Either that, or start bringing up the other cities that supposedly have it "worse" rather than admit a problem.
You'll find that in every city forum. Any time anyone in any City Data forum detracts from a place, you have the city boosters jump in and argue. I think it just has to do with people being people.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
During the time I have lived in Austin I observed that the City of Austin was under continual lobbying pressure from the AA community to invest money in improving the neighborhoods and City services in East Austin which had the highest concentrations of AA citizens. The City did as they asked, spending millions on a broad variety of programs and improvements. As a result, the area became a more desirable place to live, and gentrification has been increasing East of IH-35.

As a result property values rose, and those who owned property there were able to sell it at attractive prices. This probably eliminated some of the cheap housing that was available there. Property values increased, and so did taxes, rents and the cost of living there. As a result many long time residents sold their property and/or moved out to the suburbs. Especially places like NW Travis County, Hutto, etc. where property and rents are less expensive.

This PDF map file from the CoA demographic map illustrate those changes.

This one shows the concentrations of low income home owners in 2005:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/demograph.../owners50p.pdf

This one shows the change in outlying counties, 2000 to 2010:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/demograph...afam_whole.pdf

African American landscape 1990 to 2000 http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/demograph...ck90_00_ea.pdf

African American landscape 2000 to 2010 http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/demograph...afam_zoom2.pdf

I do think another factor is the large number of highly educated college students who are competing for many of the jobs that are available in Austin, including many of the low income service industry jobs that would normally go to low education level employees. This makes it hard for anyone with a low education level to compete for those same jobs. As this map shows, the areas of town which had the highest concentrations of African Americans, also had the lowest numbers of people with bachelors degrees.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/demograph...hplus_core.pdf

Old 07-24-2011, 05:29 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I've explained that post in subsequent posts already. Perhaps "critical" was the wrong term. But it's one of the things that Austin lacks for someone who might be interested in it. I'm not sure why some Austinites get so defensive when you mention something it doesn't have. I simply pointed out one reason why Austin might not be for everyone.
In my opinion, it appears that this is very difficult for people (non black) to understand. I've expressed my opinion about this for as long as I can remember, and it has yet to change. Austin will always be Austin. I've come to realize that I have to accept the status quo or move elsewhere. Once our two older children are off to college, we might consider moving with our last little one in tow. My husband is from Austin, so it might not be the easiest thing to do, but change can often be a good thing.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
top 5% income in the nation or your nothing and typically not secure. If not you got debt and problems.

BTW their are tons of hipsters who live here who have no money who love it, and im sure all the people in the "hood love it"

Id say the people who dont like austin are the ones who have seen better places. I like austin but id only like to live in the 03, or lake travis and some parts of 78733 or 78735,78746, are only areas that interest me.
You are cutting your options way short with those limitations. You have picked some of the areas with the highest incomes in the area, but there are still many great places to live beyond those few. If you can't be content living anywhere else, then you have some problems.

I moved to Austin from Colorado to go to college in 1977, with my wife, a cat, a U-haul trailer full of stuff, a used Pontiac Tempest automobile and less then $1,000 in pocket to make a new start. My wife got a teaching job, I got my degree and after graduating got an OK job. We always said we would move somewhere else if we found one that was a nicer place to live, and we could make a decent living there. For 33 years we have traveled to a new place every year for our "annual" vacation, and never found one that we thought was a better place to live and work. We have seen nicer places, where one can't afford to live, or can't find decent work, but for us Austin has been a great combination for both criteria.

We live in 78749, and are very happy and content with it. And can still afford to travel every year.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM

327 posts, read 767,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicImageLtd. View Post
That the diehard Pro-Austin people( Ones that cant ever shut up about how Austin is right up there with Heaven as the place to be)

are usually very financially secure, wealthy people? I rarely see any non-college student who's finances are tight be pro-austin.

You know, I guess I would love Austin too if I worked in the software, advertising, marketing industries making a new chunk of change.

I've lived here in Austin since 1987. Austin used to be a really cool, quiet underground place. Till about say 1991-92 when Dell, and other corporations started majorly getting big or established. Then the cost of living kept going up and up.

Why would I want to live in a wannabe version of LA if its going to be the same cost of living-wise, and lack of decent job market? LA may be spread out. But at least you're getting better job opportunity and more things to do that can almost justify the cost of living there.

Dont get me started on the dating scene here. Its great if you want to date 21 year olds the rest of your life. Not so good if you happen to be early 30's. Cause every one in that age bracket here is either married, or single with kids.

For all it's drawbacks, LA, New York, Arizona have better availability of single 30 somethings with no kids. Nothing against single parents. But my line of work barely covers the cost of living here. There's no way I can support a potential family.

I mean San Antonio for all its questionability living-wise, at least is cheaper to live. And the job market is somewhat better. I have a feeling Austin is going to have the same situation as what happened to californians who moved down here.

The cost of living is going to keep going up, add in metro raising their fares higher and higher. I guarantee you'll see a huge amount of people flee from here to San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, or even out of state.

Im trying to pull money together myself for me and my father who I take care of to move to San Antonio. Cause I make more money there than here. All the companies in my industry moved up there 2 years ago. That was the only thing keeping me here. Now there is no reason, so I plan to move me and my dad out of here by next year.

See the rest of you guys there in a few years
Cool story, bro...

Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Cool story, bro...
The "cool story, bro..." meme is the most annoying thing on the internet. If you don't have anything to add, why not just avoid posting??? You only make yourself look foolish and the OP look smart.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The "cool story, bro..." meme is the most annoying thing on the internet. If you don't have anything to add, why not just avoid posting??? You only make yourself look foolish and the OP look smart.
Ok...?

Anyways, I'm about 3 years out of college now and I have a weak salary around $60K, but I still love Austin. I can't get out and experience as much as the other more opulent Austinites. But what I can do, I do it to the fullest. You don't necessarily need to be sitting on a mountain of money to enjoy yourself.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Ok...?

Anyways, I'm about 3 years out of college now and I have a weak salary around $60K, but I still love Austin. I can't get out and experience as much as the other more opulent Austinites. But what I can do, I do it to the fullest. You don't necessarily need to be sitting on a mountain of money to enjoy yourself.
Cool story bro! No, I mean it. Cool story!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Cool story bro! No, I mean it. Cool story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin