Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Okay, another fun thing. What are the worst and best outside jobs in Austin? Let's limit it to outside jobs because otherwise somebody could just say "a job in A/C" for the best jobs and that's no fun. This way we all have to be more creative. Here goes my list:

Worst jobs in this heat:
* roofer (just thinking about this makes me hot)
* asphalt layer (heat from above and below)
* mail carrier (the old fashion ones that walk in the older neighborhoods not only have to deal with aggressive dogs but also this heat)

Best jobs in this heat:
* lifeguard at Schlitterbahn (refreshing and always a steady supply of people watching to keep you busy)
* lifeguard at Barton Springs
* park ranger at Hippie Hollow
* party barge driver on Lake Travis (can you imagine the stories?)

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Another bad job - working at a sewage treatment plant and/or dump, can you imagine the smells in this heat?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I felt bad for the COA inspector that came to inspect our new water heater in the attic....

Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Best: Water ski instructor

Worst: Attic insulation installer

Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Best: Lifeguard at a waterpark, probably Schlitterbahn

Worst: Road Construction, especially the ones re paving.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
One of those sign holders for Little Caesar's Pizza or a mattress store. How can these businesses make people do that in this heat?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
One of those sign holders for Little Caesar's Pizza or a mattress store. How can these businesses make people do that in this heat?
If you were unemployed and they offered you $8 to $10 an hour to do that, it may not seem like a bad job. They do make sure they are hydrated and are given breaks, there are laws to ensure that.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
I'll just say that after three decades of making a living as a tennis bum, I'm happy NOT to be out there anymore. I can't imagine 'summer tennis camp' in central Texas. I could maybe teach from 7AM - 10AM and call it a day!

Believe me, there were plenty of summer days back in Atlanta when I was VERY happy to string rackets MUCH more than teach in the heat! Still, not a bad gig IF you can teach in the early morning and then head inside! Here in Austin, that would be the only option(from May to Sept).

Imagine if we had experienced one of those killer hail storms in May or early June--with roofs needing immediate attention. Would NOT want to be on a road crew or roofing job ANY of the past four summers! Dang it's HOT!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you were unemployed and they offered you $8 to $10 an hour to do that, it may not seem like a bad job. They do make sure they are hydrated and are given breaks, there are laws to ensure that.
Personally, I consider the 'sign twirlers' approach to 'bandit' signs as a feeble attempt to skirt the law. I'll actively avoid places who use such distracting 'promotional' stunts the same way I avoid businesses who litter the side of the road with tacky 'spam on a stick'.

Give the twirler a real job and let them improve the quality of your business--NOT a 'job' distracting motorists.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Personally, I consider the 'sign twirlers' approach to 'bandit' signs as a feeble attempt to skirt the law. I'll actively avoid places who use such distracting 'promotional' stunts the same way I avoid businesses who litter the side of the road with tacky 'spam on a stick'.

Give the twirler a real job and let them improve the quality of your business--NOT a 'job' distracting motorists.
I agree, I purposely don't eat at restaurants that employ this practice. However, I guess since they are employing someone that may not otherwise have a job in this broken economy it ain't all bad. I see many of the sign twirlers texting and doing other things. Still it would suck to be out there in 107 degrees sun all day.

I wonder if businesses that have hired a sign twirler have actually increased their business or not? That would be an interesting thing to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin