Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else find the heat unbearable here? We've lived here awhile, not our first summer, but somehow I'm finding this summer to be unbearable.

Due to the "economy" we keep our ac set as high as we can stand it--79 when home, 82 when not, not on a set schedule, our days vary. But we're used to that.

Its outside temps that are draining me. Just driving to the grocery store, taking the kids to the park, I come back in a bad mood.

They talk about SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) usually in rainy, dreary climates, like Washington, Oregon, and during winters in snowbelt states, wonder if there's any link between heat, too much sun and SAD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,286 times
Default I want to be hibernating bear, in reverse

Marylee, I feel your pain. Big time.

I feel like such a freak, a whiny baby when I complain about the heat and how it utterly zaps the life out of me... because I find most folks tolerate it quite well. Some don't just tolerate it, they positively thrive in weeks upon weeks of the 95+ temps. My stepdad jogs 8-10 miles a day, usually in the heat of mid-day, but arrives home feeling awesome. Blows my mind!! I am miserable in these temps, hate hate hate sweating from even the most leisurely of activities, and am prone to heat-induced headaches which drain me to my core.... not to mention I turn into a total beatch from May to Sept.

Every time I groan about the heat to a grocery store clerk or some random stranger the first thing out of their mouth is, "Oh you're not from here." And the sad fact is I am a Dallas native and this is my 33rd TX summer. Each year I tolerate it just a little less, rather than adapting. Another thing I hear a lot is I'd appreciate our summers a little more if I served a few years in a harsh winter climate like Green Bay or Minneapolis. To which I say, Bring It On!! What's a few frozen eyelashes? Cold weather invigorates me and I can always put on more clothes. But last I checked it wasn't legal to do my shopping naked. I've also spent quite a bit of time in Vancouver, WA and would trade those gray dreary skies any day over suffocating my butt off in this heat. See how negative and grumpy I am? That's because I'm hot and sticky. And it's 8 AM!

I totally buy into seasonal disorders, even if the sun haters are in the vast minority of those cases. I met my husband in December and it's a good thing I hooked him then because he was truly shocked when he was introduced to me, the summertime version.

Hope it gets better for you. Pray for 2009 to be a milder summer. Though this one is not nearly as bad as it can get.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I love the heat, love to power walk in the middle of the afternoon! Some suggestions for those who don't love it.
-go out in the early morning, late afternoon (it was 70* this morning!)
-dress for the heat...natural fibers
-find water to cool off in. Deep Eddy is coooold
-drink lots of water...it may be dehydration that's making you feel bad
-turn your backyard into a shady spot...roof deck, fountain with running water, deck cover
-if you need to drop a few pounds (don't we all, not being holier than thou here) do so, it really makes a difference

Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,952 times
For me, it is getting slightly better with each summer. I arrived here in June 2006 after being a lifelong New Englander, and that summer just happened to be one of the driest/hottest on record, with something like 23 days straight of 100+ heat.

I literally thought I moved to Hades. I was ready to return to New England!

Last summer was delightful for me - while many Texans complained about all the rain, I was loving the rainy, "cooler" (relatively) summer.

This summer I feel like I am "used" the heat more - it's not that I like it at all, but I feel like I have a resigned acceptance of the summer. Check back in October, though - THAT'S when I'm absolutely miserable with the 95 degree heat when it *should* be crisp, cool, with changing colors and pumpkins and apple cider. Ah, New England.

Anyway, hang in there. I think for many transplants, you do sort of grow to tolerate it better.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I'm not one who hates the hot weather, I'm pretty used to it as this will be pretty much my 30th something summer. Although, I will admit I'm not one to go jogging or power walking at high noon. I'm good outside as long as there is shade, water or something else to drink, and a breeze. I think with age it gets a little bit harder to be out in it if it's really hot, or I should say recovering from it or something. It didn't bother me at all up until my mid twenties to be out all day irregardless of shade or a breeze.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Another thing I hear a lot is I'd appreciate our summers a little more if I served a few years in a harsh winter climate like Green Bay or Minneapolis. To which I say, Bring It On!! What's a few frozen eyelashes? Cold weather invigorates me and I can always put on more clothes. But last I checked it wasn't legal to do my shopping naked. I've also spent quite a bit of time in Vancouver, WA and would trade those gray dreary skies any day over suffocating my butt off in this heat.
LOL. I'm up in Chicago and I'm planning to move to Austin. A big reason why is because I'm absolutely fed up with the weather here. Sure you can just throw on extra layers, but it isn't just that. The snow and the cold really do limit what you can do and where you can go. So you spend months stuck indoors. And having long stretches of no sun really depresses you after a while. It's no wonder people in Chicago are fat. When you have to hibernate for months, what else can you do besides eat? Plus, when you wear all those extra clothes, it's easier to get fat cause you can hide it. I'm hoping that the warmer weather of Austin will make me more inclined to stay fit. I hate the heat too and I know that I will find Austin summers unbearable. But it comes down to tradeoffs and asking what you can put up with and what you can't.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
I've lived in Central Texas most of my life and this summer has been one of the worst in my memory. Probably because the 100 degree days started in May and haven't let up. That and no rain so most of my plants are barely hanging on. The thought that it won't let up until October is making me very depressed.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
This summer doesn't seem so bad to me. I really hated the gray rainy days last summer.

Another tip to survive summer is to tint your car windows! It really does make a difference. The car stays cooler and you stay cooler too.

s

Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 AM

13 posts, read 39,101 times
I grew up in Dallas, have been living in Seattle for the last 5 years, and am now considering a move back, this time to Austin. My one driving concern has been the heat. Growing up in Dallas, I always found it woefully unbearable. I'm somone who likes to be outdoors, which is nearly impossible in the sweltering heat.

Here in Seattle, we enjoy pretty cold weather for the better part of the year, which I absolutely love. However, our summers can get surprisingly hot (high 80's, sometimes low to mid-90's), which doesn't sound too terrible, but it's important to remember that most of us don't have air conditioning up here, so if it's 80 outside, it's much worse inside. So I've had to adjust. I've learned that the thing that makes the biggest difference for me is water. Lots and lots of water. I always have it with me, I'm always well-hydrated, and as a result, I'm much happier. Still uncomfortable to a degree, but I feel better. I function better and feel happier, and that can make a huge difference.

You should also consider a change in your wardrobe. Lighter clothes both in fabric and color should help offer you a more "breathable" feel. I also find that brief meditation can make a difference (focus on a big ice pack - that's what I do). And do yourself a favor - make some adjustments in your budget and turn that A/C down - you deserve it!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
For those considering a move, be sure to find a house with a high energy efficiency rating if you're buying new. If you're buying a resale, look for lots of trees- they keep things cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin