Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Maybe.
But everyone I've ever heard spew that crap always seems to be on the Jesus train.
You must not have much experience with other religions, some of which (I won't name but you can probably guess) are even worse about it to the point of outright violent punishment for it.

Quote:
There might be atheist/agnostic homophobes, but I have yet to meet them.
I wouldn't say I personally know any of what I'd call homophobes, but I know plenty of agnostics who are against gay marriage, don't appreciate Hollywood glorifying that lifestyle, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
What bothers me about this ^ post (not sure if it's meant to be exaggerated for effect?) is the poster calling homosexuality a "choice" and a "lifestyle". I have heard comments like that (and worse) far too often in this "liberal" area.

Granted, I no longer live in Austin proper, but this kind of ignorant homophobia is a very real part of life in the suburbs (where most of us can afford to live) and I do NOT want it infecting my children. This is one of the many reasons we will be leaving the state. It's far too pervasive here. That and my kids now call an HEB plastic bag a "sack". LOL

People who don't live here do not understand that central Austin is surrounded by suburbs populated by Bible believing folks.

Homosexuality is not a "lifestyle" or a choice.
what the hell is going on with this thread?

while i agree about your sentiments on homosexuality. i find it ironic that you make this "blanketed" statement on bible believing folks.

listen, i know this isn't the general consensus but its quite possible to be a "bible believing folk" and be as liberal as you are. let's just keep homophobia and racism to just that.... and not blame these "bible believing folks" because you might offend an innocent party.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
don't appreciate Hollywood glorifying that lifestyle, etc.
not sure I ever noticed it glorified in my experience.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 5,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Maybe I ought to move to Boston where there is no racism.
HAHA! I live in RI and trust me there is racism all over the New England area. As liberal as Boston is, it still has its fair share of racism.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 AM

22 posts, read 59,694 times
I'm, 32, black and straight...you all will LOVE Austin, TX

Old 09-17-2011, 05:26 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
unless austin miraculously progressed away from this (wouldnt surprise me though) in the last 5 years, yeah, these werent isolated incidents. ive seen it happen in the downtown area on 6th street (there used to be a white supremacist that worked at one of the bars that would scream 'white power' on the way to his redneck'd out truck after work around 2am on weekends), on the drag/campus (mostly the homeless kids yelling out racial and homosexual slurs), seen it happen a lot on the west side in the westlake areas (fits the typical whitey is racist against anyone not white mentality to a key).

sure, austin might seem more liberal than most cities, but it has a very ugly side to it as well that gets little attention. its like that dust you keep sweeping under the rug. eventually, its going to come out.

you remember lesie? the downtown drag queen in a thong/bikini? that dude gets all kinds of hate screamed at him on a daily basis.

but yeah austin tolerance love peace blah blah blah
How is Leslie doing? I believe he got rolled and beaten up real bad last year.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notswedish View Post
Thanks for the info!!!! I don't think I compared Texas to a third-world country. I've been to several developing countries for different reasons and thought nothing about Texas while there.

If you get past the fact that people are sensitive (believe me, I'm from CA and get razzed daily in Seattle), what are people's opinons on how a middle-aged Black lesbian could do in Austin is really my question.

I guess I'm getting my answer!

Thannks for responding!!!!

ia

Why would being a lesbian and Black be an issue? Maybe you out to visit Austin before you make the leap as you will never get a definitive answer to your question here.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
How is Leslie doing? I believe he got rolled and beaten up real bad last year.
thats terrible. might not like his way of life but he doesnt deserve that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin