Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

The SA TV market is pretty small for a city that size, which is what makes other teams there less likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Austinites are so negative toward SA, or maybe they are jealous. The two cities should work together to attract a MLB team

Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austinites are so negative toward SA, or maybe they are jealous. The two cities should work together to attract a MLB team
I don't think that is true. I am a regular here as are many. SA is a nice city and I recommend it to many. I graduated from high school in SA.

I think instead you have some people in SA who don't like hearing how obese the people are and how different the economies are.

As for MLB, I am just not interested in taxpayers paying for more stadiums, whether in SA or Austin or somewhere in between.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Well, I'm looking at my options for the future, I've posted couple times on here about my thoughts between Dallas and Austin, and that is one thing that keeps coming up for me, that and the lack of any museum or botanical gardens or top quality zoos in Austin. I really love everything about Austin besides that. It just seems odd to me How such a top quality city lacks top quality attractions you might even find in lesser cities. But, I've spent a lot of time in San Antonio in the last few years and am in love with the whole central Texas area.

It's just one of those things that would be nice to have in an area, I guess. Feeling like you have a team that belongs to a city that you can call your own. How is the minor league and UT culture in Austin, is it something people follow religiously, or is it something that people just do on a friday night? It would probably be silly to let something like the cultural attractions of a city keep me from wanting to be there if everything else is perfect for me, when all the cultural attractions I would ever want are only 3 hours away, right?

But how many times can you realistically go to a museum or a zoo before you get bored out of your mind? I went to the TX History Museum a couple times, thought "OK, been there done that". Did the same for the Wildflower Center. Nice place, went a couple times, but saw all I needed to see.

There are at least a couple dozen more important things I'm going to be considering about a city, than if they have a zoo. Jobs, rental rates, commutes, grocery stores, single men (), politics, just to name a few. Whether or not there's an elephant in town isn't something on my radar.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
But how many times can you realistically go to a museum or a zoo before you get bored out of your mind? I went to the TX History Museum a couple times, thought "OK, been there done that". Did the same for the Wildflower Center. Nice place, went a couple times, but saw all I needed to see.

There are at least a couple dozen more important things I'm going to be considering about a city, than if they have a zoo. Jobs, rental rates, commutes, grocery stores, single men (), politics, just to name a few. Whether or not there's an elephant in town isn't something on my radar.
Very well understood, as I know everyones priorities in life are different and no one likes all the same things as the next. Just with my background growing up 30 min from both Baltimore and DC, cultural attractions are always something that I've loved visiting.

I could visit a nice zoo once a month, I wouldnt get tired of it, the animals are always doing something different. Thats one reason Dallas appeals to me in that regard due to the world class facilities they have not only there, but also a few minutes away in Ft Worth.

There are other important things to me, and thats why I am still strongly considering Austin. If it came down purely to cultural attractions, I dont think I would have ever even looked at Austin to begin with.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:06 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
The Austin area will never have a professional sports team. The area as a whole is simply too small, and too insignificant with regards to the entire state to warrent a pro team of any kind. Besides, everyone in Austin wears orange and follows them pee wee longhorns. Do you really need anything more than that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Sorry if I'm overstepping any boundaries by constantly asking questions about Austin, even though I don't live there, but I do have one more for now if you would humor me.

Pretty much like the title says, anyone think ere is any chance in Austin getting a pro team? I have a feeling there are three trains of thought here, one would likely be about UT being so well established and so popular that a pro team might not do so well in the area. The second one, which I would like any input on, is the culture of the city kind of spurns the status quo, and is such a unique "weird" city that the population wouldn't even want a pro team in town. The third maybe about San Antonio being so close and they already have a pro bball team and they would likely get a pro team before Austin.

I think the last one would be a more likely scenario, due to the proximity, Austin would definitely have to compete with SA for any pro team spots. As for UT being so big and established, I see hope there when you compare Columbus, OH. I know, two completely different cultures in two completly different parts of the country, but there are very big similarities there with the size of the cities and the universities they each hold, and while hockey hasn't done too well there, soccer was really able to take off.

So what do my CD Austinites think about this?

Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM

285 posts, read 568,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
The Austin area will never have a professional sports team. The area as a whole is simply too small, and too insignificant with regards to the entire state to warrent a pro team of any kind. Besides, everyone in Austin wears orange and follows them pee wee longhorns. Do you really need anything more than that??
You don't know anything. The greater Austin area has a larger population and economy than several "major league" metro areas (Nashville, Salt Lake City, Memphis, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Buffalo...) and is very similar in size/economy to several others. Amongst mid-sized cities Austin is one of the wealthiest in the country. These two factors combined mean Austin could, on paper, easily support at least one major league team. The issues with getting a team have absolutely nothing to do with demographic factors and everything to do with proximity to other major league teams.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Austin is not a major league city but if it team with San Antonio it might have a chance to share one

Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM

285 posts, read 568,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin is not a major league city but if it team with San Antonio it might have a chance to share one
wrong, to see why read my post above.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Austin has charted its course and it is sans professional teams. Austin is aiming for international sports, ala F1 and the like. An NFL team in Austin could never rival the popularity of the Cowboys statewide for instance, and the Astros and the Rangers have a big following. The Texans have a large local following and the Spurs are just too close to Austin which means Austin is shutout for NBA.

As for cultural offerings. It's about time that some big CEO of a tech company puts in a big amount of money for a world class zoo and the like. That's how Houston has all its cultural offerings, how Atlanta has a world class aquarium, etc...

Somebody that has made tons of money in Austin needs to step up to the plate and thank the city that made him/her who he/she is. But it seems that the bigwigs in Austin don't know philanthropy if it bit them in the you know what.

We're a great city on our own, but it's a shame nobody has stepped up and done what the elite are supposed to do. They did it in Houston and that's why Houston has a world class symphony.

The other way to do that is to raise taxes for an attraction (i.e. the Aquarium in the Americas was paid for by taxes in New Orleans) but everyone opposes any new taxes here. So the ONLY way that we'll ever get top notch cultural offerings is for somebody with a philanthropic heart to want to have Austin compete with the world class cities.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin