Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 991 times

Advertisements

You cannot buy a BMW at a Ford price. Yes they are very traditional in style but you can select other styles as well. If you don't mind assembling your own furniture then go to rooms-to-go, Penny's etc. etc.... Once you experience quality furniture, it's hard to settle for the junk that come's from China. A few names above the rest in traditional styles are Jeffco, Marge Carson, Casa Bauque, Baker, to name a few. Contemporary lines are Ello, Century, Bernhardt, American Drew. I have shopped around for different items for my home recently and I was disappointed in the junk that's out there. Good luck to all of you....PS My traditional furniture never goes out of style, and it's well put together. Hand crafted and hand rubbed and assembled at the plant. Yes I can lean back in my chairs without the fear of breaking it. If the fabric is worn, I don't mind having it recovered.

Last edited by Nojunk; 01-30-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 AM

152 posts, read 196,367 times
As nojunk said there is lots of cheap crap out there. I recently furnished our whole house after not buying furniture for 15 years. I learned a lot about how the furniture business has changed. About 15-20 years ago we had 600+ fine furniture makers in the USA. Louis Shanks was one of them. Around 1998 they made a mass exodus for China. Now nearly all furniture in the big stores Shank, Ashley , hemispheres etc.. is particle board overlay junk. Anyone that's seen overlay stuff that's 10 years old knows what I am talking about. There are a few people who import from south America, Thailand, India, Mexico etc. where people still make solid wood hand carved stuff. Primitives is one of them. We bought some really nice stuff from them that I can pass down to my kids and grand kids. It was no more than Shanks prices but it's the real deal. Cierra interiors is another. Accents of Salado is nearby. Brumbaughs in fort worth is amazing. It's serious high quality stuffthatcosts a good bit but it will last a lifetime.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,645 times
Don't be misled by the above post. Louis Shanks still sells quality furniture. And, to my knowledge, they have never been a furniture maker as stated. It's a furniture store, with many fine brands from which to choose, paired with excellent customer service. If you know how and when to shop, you'll get competitive prices. And, you have to take the time to understand all that they offer.

Bernhardt is my preferred brand of furniture, for its durability, price, design and construction. We, too, replaced all of our furniture years ago, and it has stood up perfectly in an environment with numerous pets and children. I've no doubt several of these pieces will be passed down. I know they're wanted.

Nothing against stores that sell rustic/imported hand-carved furniture for those who like it and for the few pieces I might be interested in, but I haven't been a fan of that style since the 70's or so when the market seemed flooded with it. Western/Fort Worth style furniture can be fun, if done correctly.

Some sources for handcrafted, solid wood furniture, made in America, still exist. One in the Pacific Northwest comes to mind immediately.

Last edited by capcat; 02-01-2014 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin