Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Making a sauce is so much easier than cooking meet properly. It is no wonder that many places don't work too hard on the sauce.

I like a bit of sauce with my barbecue. But when I take Rudy's moist brisket home - it is so good I take a crusty black piece and eat it with my fingers. Doesn't need a thing.
I beg to differ about the sauce. Good sauces are time honored and secret recipes that take months, if not years to perfect.

I guess that's why we all have our favorites, because we all are seeking different things.

A plate of perfect brisket but with no sauce or sides just wouldn't cut it for me (no pun intended). I'd probably get sick or indigestion from eating all that meat with nothing to absorb all the fat (which potato salad does a wonderful job of doing).

But then again, when I go to Popeye's fried chicken I like the buttermilk biscuits as much as the chicken and the red beans and rice better than the chicken! Church's chicken actually has better chicken, but their sides are lacking, so Popeye's wins out every time.

It's the "tout ensemble" that makes a great meal for me, not specialization in one particular thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
I enjoyed reading all the advice on BBQ. I have very little experience or expertise in this area, and what I am going to say probably sounds very un-Texan, but the sides do matter a lot to me. Of course, one would want great meat, too, but I have two favorite places that are not in Texas. Both have great, tender ribs, etc., but one has wonderful creamed corn, cornbread, and garlic mashed potatoes. The other has an abundance of possible sides, including boiled new potatoes, garlic mashed, sweet potato fries, garlic fries, grilled mixes vegetables, fried okra, etc. Now if you can get some great sides like that with your meat, that is a good meal. For my taste, if all you get is meat and sauce and a hunk of white bread, I would rather not go.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I enjoyed reading all the advice on BBQ. I have very little experience or expertise in this area, and what I am going to say probably sounds very un-Texan, but the sides do matter a lot to me. Of course, one would want great meat, too, but I have two favorite places that are not in Texas. Both have great, tender ribs, etc., but one has wonderful creamed corn, cornbread, and garlic mashed potatoes. The other has an abundance of possible sides, including boiled new potatoes, garlic mashed, sweet potato fries, garlic fries, grilled mixes vegetables, fried okra, etc. Now if you can get some great sides like that with your meat, that is a good meal. For my taste, if all you get is meat and sauce and a hunk of white bread, I would rather not go.
The Salt Lick has wonderful German Potato salad, coleslaw made with vinegar and celery seed rather than mayo, and its beans are more like Barracho beans rather than baked beans. I love their sides and feel like the absence of mayo is actually a nice contrast to the rich/fatty meat.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,586 times
Cooper's has pretty decent sides but Rudy's has the best sides. I'm a Mueller guy but apparently I'm in the minority.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:02 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I like Mueller too and it's still a very busy place.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I can't ever remember not being asked, in a true BBQ joint, for an individual (not family style) order: "Do you want it lean or do you want flavor?" If I wasn't asked, I'd certainly speak up! Rudy's didn't invent this, not by a long shot, because I've been eating BBQ a lot longer then they've been in existence. My take on Rudy's is, it's good consistent BBQ, if that's what you're looking for, and sometimes I am. But it doesn't belong up there with the greats.

Salt Lick used to be better - I agree that sometimes the magic doesn't pass down the generations like it should. The one in Round Rock doesn't even seem like Salt Lick to me.

Have tried Franklin's. My reaction (and my husband's) to their brisket (and we walked in with high hopes because of all the hype - guess that'll teach us!) was, "What the heck is all the fuss about? Have none of these people actually had good BBQ?" Nothing to write home about, in other words. This was when they were still in the wagon on I35 and you had to wait in line if you got there half an hour before they opened. The coffee-based sauce was good, though, and it was definitely needed.

My favorites (and, yes, it is a very personal thing) are City Market in Luling (when you get to Lockhart, just keep on driving if you want really outstanding brisket), Perez in Bartlett, Coopers in Llano, a new place in Jarrell called O.D.'s (but O.D. was cooking BBQ in Fort Worth for 35 years before he moved down here), House Park in Austin.

I still think with longing of Jerry Jacobs of sainted memory in Austin, located in the building where the original Green Mesquite is on Barton Springs Road. He'd get up early early early early, cook as much BBQ as he wanted to sell that day, and when it was all gone (no later than 1:00 p.m., usually much earlier), he'd close up and go fishing. Jerry's now smoking brisket for the angels, lo these many years, but his 'cue is still missed.

Most of the best BBQ is in little roadside places that most no one here has ever heard of, and that many wouldn't go in if they saw them.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:55 PM

152 posts, read 281,029 times
have to give big props to rudys round rock - had perfect xtra moist brisket, sauce, pickles, onions, white bread, and service with big smiles today - damn i love this town!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times
Had Rudy's tonight too -- so full. Time for some banana pudding!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I beg to differ about the sauce. Good sauces are time honored and secret recipes that take months, if not years to perfect.

I guess that's why we all have our favorites, because we all are seeking different things.

A plate of perfect brisket but with no sauce or sides just wouldn't cut it for me (no pun intended). I'd probably get sick or indigestion from eating all that meat with nothing to absorb all the fat (which potato salad does a wonderful job of doing).

But then again, when I go to Popeye's fried chicken I like the buttermilk biscuits as much as the chicken and the red beans and rice better than the chicken! Church's chicken actually has better chicken, but their sides are lacking, so Popeye's wins out every time.

It's the "tout ensemble" that makes a great meal for me, not specialization in one particular thing.
Singin' to the choir here. And regarding sauce.......mop sauce as we always called it......you are right......it varies, well-kept secrets, on a whim I will change / add / delete something from the family recipe!

I do hope everyone knows that the flavor is in the fat. However, I have a great recipe for flank steak...........low fat......family favorite!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I know. It's just a texture thing with me. I don't mind a bit of marbling, but just fat all around a piece of meat turns me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin