Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I mainly eat Texas grown rice! You might be surprised to learn that you do too! As mentioned, this is not a new innovation. But 2012 does not look like a good year for it. (Rice is also grown further east in Texas which is a more natural fit for rice.)
Yes! Texmati....hello! Why is it that I am always writing about food on here?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:31 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
"Texas produces about 7 percent of the nation's rice supply, but the crop is by its nature far more water-intensive than just about any other agricultural endeavor. For about 60 days, a farmer will keep a field flooded at 3 or 4 inches deep. This chokes off the weeds and allows the rice stalks to continue to mature."

Texas Rice Farmers' Livelihoods at Stake in Water Talks — Water Supply | The Texas Tribune

So most of the water used for rice farming is just for killing the weeds?

The rice I buy is from Thailand, parts of which get up to 150 inches of rain per year. I'm guessing they do not have to manipulate their water supply as much as we do here in order to grow many times more rice. Throw in the ag exemptions which shift the property tax burden to non-famers and you have in the rice farmers possibly the most heavily subsidized industry in Texas.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Or buy your rice from another State, keep it in the USA

Old 09-25-2011, 09:59 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,724 times
I eat Texmati as much s the next person I do think that the farmers that are crying about being cut off (not till March and then only 170 farmers out of 250 from what I read) should have a plan and not put all the eggs in one basket. What I don't understand is that LCRA said this is emergency action to cut off..doesn't that mean immediate action is needed not 6 months down the line? I think LCRA and Austin water dropped the ball not imposing mandatory rules earlier in the summer...I am not supplied by Lake Travis but Edwards Aquifer and we have had some sort of rules since last April and even on stage 4 ,no outside watering at all. The hoa had to close the pool early due to it, no refilling pools etc now we can water shrubs and trees outside once a week but that is about it. I think the city of Austin in this case needs to look at SAWS in SA because I think they do a much better job with water there.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
a) The farmers that I have seen interviewed were not crying...they were all insured anyway, and understood the priority system.

b) LCRA has a plan for when to cut the farmers off and has been following the plan. The intent was to give warning and is based on historical data. The LCRA has asked for a variance based on the fact that the long range forecast is drought.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 PM

150 posts, read 393,069 times
Heard that Austin is going to Stage 3 in November. Means no watering at all.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazbigdog View Post
Not good news at all. I can already hear a whole lot of houses cracking open like walnuts due to foundations not getting watered...especially if we get another summer next year like this one and there is no watering.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 8,996 times
Is it possible or even feasable to truck in desalinated water from the ocean or flood waters from the East coast? It may sound stupid but it is an idea that might need to be explored.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazbigdog View Post
Where did you hear that Stage 3 would go into effect in November?

Your description of the Stage 3 restrictions is not correct. You can read the ordinance below. Hand watering on your watering day is still allowed in Stage 3.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/con.../ordinance.pdf

Quote:
§ 6-4-66 WATER CONSERVATION STAGE THREE REGULATIONS.
(A) This section prescribes stage three water use management regulations.
(B) This section applies during a time period ordered by the city manager in accordance with
Section 6-4-62 (Effective Dates of Conservation Stages). During stage three, stage two water use
management regulations in Section 6-4-65 (Water Conservation Stage Two Regulations) also apply.
(C) This section does not apply to a person who uses treated wastewater effluent or raw water.
(D) A person may not irrigate vegetation outdoors, except:
(1) with a hand-held hose or hand-held watering can from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
to 10:00 p.m. on a designated outdoor water use day; or

(2) at a commercial plant nursery with a hand-held hose, hand-held watering can, or drip
irrigation system.
(E) A person may not wash an automobile, truck, trailer, boat, airplane, or other mobile
equipment. This prohibition does not apply if the washing is necessary to alleviate an immediate threat
to public health, safety, or welfare, but a person may use a commercial car wash or commercial service
station for this purpose only between 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Not good news at all. I can already hear a whole lot of houses cracking open like walnuts due to foundations not getting watered...especially if we get another summer next year like this one and there is no watering.
Foundation watering is currently allowed under Stage 2 restrictions at any time.

Quote:
Do the Stage 2 restrictions prevent me from watering the ground around my foundation to
prevent foundation cracking?

No. Watering the ground around a foundation is allowed at any time, but only as necessary to
prevent the foundation from cracking. A soaker hose may be used as long as it is applying water
only to the foundation and not the landscape.
And would still be allowed on your watering day in Stage 3.

Quote:
(1) A person may not water the ground around a foundation to prevent foundation cracking
except on a designated outdoor water use day from 12:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-25-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin