Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'll limit my traffic observations to my experience. It takes me 20-25 minutes in rush hour, on mopac to go from Far West to 35st and Lamar in rush hour. 30-35 minutes in rain or if there is an accident. That's a distance, according to mapquest, door to door, of 5.69 miles. I might save time on the back roads, but never less than 15 minutes.
Interesting. I'd say it always took me about 15 minutes or less when I lived there (near Mesa/Far West)... that was about 2 years ago. I wonder what route(s) you take? Was this to Seton Main?

I would of course not enter Mopac at Far West, but stay on the access road if Mopac were busy. There would be one light at 2222 and then the stop sign at 45th street, but that's it and you are at 35th without ever getting on the mopac parking lot.

Alternative route (this might be your back roads route) would be to take a left on 2222, right on Burnet then straight across 45th to Medical Pkwy.

It's also easy on a bike, I think even that took me no more that 20-25 minutes. Far West over the expressway along the bike path, then right on Shoal Creek, get on Shoal Creek greenbelt and you can ride under 38th street to the Seton Main area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Interesting. I'd say it always took me about 15 minutes or less when I lived there (near Mesa/Far West)... that was about 2 years ago. I wonder what route(s) you take? Was this to Seton Main?

I would of course not enter Mopac at Far West, but stay on the access road if Mopac were busy. There would be one light at 2222 and then the stop sign at 45th street, but that's it and you are at 35th without ever getting on the mopac parking lot.

Alternative route (this might be your back roads route) would be to take a left on 2222, right on Burnet then straight across 45th to Medical Pkwy.

It's also easy on a bike, I think even that took me no more that 20-25 minutes. Far West over the expressway along the bike path, then right on Shoal Creek, get on Shoal Creek greenbelt and you can ride under 38th street to the Seton Main area.
I was referring to the mopac route. I said that I can get to Lamar/35th from Far West door to door in about 15 minutes using back roads, but never less. I'm trying to explain the rate of flow for mopac during rush hour. As for the bike, my husband bikes to work every day (~8 miles), but with three kids, biking for transportation is um, impractical. And the back roads? Well, those are secret.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
I don't know what's considered "commute time" in the morning here, but I went from RR (near Dell's main campus) to the Dell Children's Hospital in 12-15 minutes this morning, at 9am.

To the OP : If you are working hospital shifts - perhaps some of your time will not be during peak rush hour.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 PM

17 posts, read 55,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psant View Post
so everyone thinks that the commute will be 45-60 mins on an average to downtown?if so where else in and around austin can i get near new house (4 bedroom)within 30 mins to brackenridge that has as good schools as Eanes or RR/Cedar Park?I dont want my husband to have too bad of a commute either--he may geta job in dell or such like since he is a software consultant..by the way thanks for all the help..i really appreciate it...
Northwest Austin may be an option for you, the schools are better there, too. Mopac is not pleasant during rush hour, but a real estate rep can really help you out when you start looking for a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin