Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 44,077 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm a mid-twenties single professional in the tech industry (yes, another one of those :P) in Silicon Valley, CA, and I am thinking of moving to the Austin area in about a year. The reason, which is probably so common to many CA'ers moving out of state is that the house is no longer affordable for even people with good paying jobs. I make almost in the six figure range, and it's hard to even afford a tiny condo here with that (what is wrong with this picture?). If I had bought a house here, I would probably only get the garage--or even worse--the half bathroom lol.

Anyways, I have been perusing around the web sites and came across Pflugerville as a potential candidate for my next "hometown". I am sure a lot of information has already been posted all over the Austin forum, but I couldn't find a centralized location for it. What do you guys think about Pflugerville? Is it too far from Austin downtown? Pros and cons of living in Pflugerville (above and beyond the usual cons in Austin area like hotness and bugs). Any alternative towns I should look at? Oh and since I am completely new to the area, if you could point out the areas around Austin to avoid living that would be great also. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,472 times
I live in Pflugerville. It is a nice enough town, small and pretty fast growing. You mention you work in the tech field. If work for Dell, the Pflugerville is a dream commute. Very short commute and traffic will be no problem whatsoever. The commute to downtown is about an hour for me in rush hour. When 130 is finished, that should improve too.

If you make six figures, you will easily be able to buy a home here. Pflugerville is (in my opinion) primarily starter homes, most of them newly built. Property taxes are high, as they are in all of TX, but since there aren't a lot of businesses in Pflugerville, the taxes are a little higher still.

Areas to avoid? East central Austin would be the prime one.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Pflugerville is kind of rural. Not really a happening place. It's mostly starter homes with families and more strip malls. It isn't that close to Austin so you will have to drive quite a ways to enjoy the city. If a rural town is what you are looking for, then Pflugerville would be it. It is east of I35. I pretty much prefer Austin or anything west of I35.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Pflugerville Rural? New Corn Hill or Coupland or Wahlburg...Now that is rural.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Yeah, Plugerville is closer to downtown than any of the northern suburbs -- closer than Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, etc. Not really rural anymore. It's even inside Travis county. Lots of starter homes, yes, and not as pretty as the hill country. But if the OP is looking for a nice house for the money and a relatively convenient area, that might be it.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks for all your advice guys (and gals)! That'd be great if I could get a job with Dell, but I'm not sure how well they're doing now...heard they're not as hot as before (but I could be wrong--what do I know).

Though I make near 6 figures here, I expect a pay cut when I move. So, I guess perhaps houses at price range from 150k-200k is ideal. I am very boring also, so I don't need to be near night clubs and what not. As long as I have good internet connection and cable tv :P Though as you might have seen from the other thread (critter pics), I hate snakes. I hope there aren't too many around Pflugerville (but if so then perhaps it's time I start liking them?).

Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
You are likely to run into a snake anywhere in the central Texas area. We live in neighboring Round Rock and have found 2 so far, in our yard, this summer. Check out Bugs In The news for snake reports, encounters and types for this area - it helped me to deal with the reality that there are LOTS of snakes in Texas... what to look for, be concerned about etc

As for Pflugerville, it's a nice enough suburb - but really lacking in amenities you may be wanting in a town, and shopping will almost definitely take place elsewhere. There is just not a ton of business there. I can't imagine being a single twenty-something and living in Pflugerville - but if you are the quiet, stay at home time, it may be ok for you. I would also expand your search to Round Rock, considering that's where Dell is, and that's where you will likely travel for shopping etc.

I would NOT recommend Cedar Park if you know you will work at Dell - as the commute won't be good.

Definitely prepare for a paycut. Dell doesn't pay BAD - but it doesn't pay on par with other major tech employers either. My husband was making a decent six figure salary in the Seattle area, and now we are about $30k below that. Dell likes to dangle the "performance bonus" carrot along with the job offer - but know that no one got bonuses in 2006 and who knows what will happen this year - Dell is not a stable company right now.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 AM

So I take it that Round Rock is where the stores are (like Best Buy, Border's, BN, Circuit City etc)? Thanks! I'll look into that city, too. Even though it's farther from Austin, but if it's more convenient in terms of shopping etc. then I might pick that one over Pflugerville (unless maybe I decide to get married and have kids this year lol).

Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Just went out the Pflugerville to pick up an eBay purchase my wife made. Took 90 minutes leaving downtown at 5:45 on Tuesday. I don't know how you people do it. Once there, it appeared you have to drive another 10-15 minutes to get gas, groceries, or anything at all. Nothing but acres of residential rooftops.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Just went out the Pflugerville to pick up an eBay purchase my wife made. Took 90 minutes leaving downtown at 5:45 on Tuesday. I don't know how you people do it. Once there, it appeared you have to drive another 10-15 minutes to get gas, groceries, or anything at all. Nothing but acres of residential rooftops.
This was probably an exception - not the rule.
But, without agruing over minutes, I'll say that your experience is normal.
Driving between downtown and any of the northern suburbs takes FOREVER.
It feels that way whether it takes 45 minutes or an hour and forty-five minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin