Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM

58 posts, read 256,357 times

Advertisements

I personally prefer homeschooling, even over private schools. I worked as a substitute teacher in several (excellent) public elementary schools for a while, and noticed how much education time seemed to be spent on other things, like waiting for everyone to catch up on work before moving on, and lining up for restroom and recess. There seemed to be SO much wasted time to me in a day. I would go through and complete everything the teachers left for me to do, but it didn't seem like all that much, considering we were there for 7 hours or so. I realize they may work through more material than they leave for substitutes to do, but the time wasted outside the classroom was a part of the regular class schedule.

I looked into homeschooling, and I wasn't surprised to read the statistics on how how much faster the kids are learning in a homeschooling environment, and how much ahead they generally are of their peers. It makes sense that one on one tutoring works much more effectively. When adults take up something new to learn, like an instrument, sewing etc. they usually don't sit in a room with 25-30 other adults and try to learn it. Can you imagine trying to learn how to play the piano for example, with a couple of dozen other people and pianos around you? A pretty chaotic and challenging way to learn for most, I would think. Eichlerfan, I would love to ask you some questions, if I can, about your homeschooling experience..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 PM

471 posts, read 1,608,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
You are right, it sounds very arrogant.
Part of the motivation for writing what I wrote is the constant parade of veiled insults and outright accusations of how all modern teachers are bumbling buffoons, or they have an agenda they wish to carry out using the school system, or want to "indoctrinate" their students in some way. I have several relatives and friends who are teachers and unless they are really talented at hiding such things, none of them doing any of that. I probably shouldn't have wrote that anyway, but.......hearing such ugliness has really become tiresome.

Quote:
You don't tell your doctor/repair person "what to do", but you do make sure they are doing what you are expecting them to do and providing feedback and if necessary, guidance. Now imagine that you have that doctors visit/repair visit 5 days a week.
I am aware of the programs, teaching systems etc being used at many schools that have been proven to not work well or not work at all, yet they are still in use. So I also would not allow myself to live in a dream world thinking everything was all rainbows-n-sunshine and never bother to check in periodically to see what's happening in there. It's so frustrating that American schools (in general) are getting hammered by the systems used in many other countries, including several third world nations, who seem to be using "old fashioned" methods many educators here turn their nose up at.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM

648 posts, read 1,966,544 times
My kids are at Highland Park Elementary in AISD. We are happy with the education for now. Second grade and higher the classes are divided somewhat based upon ability. The content is good. But, I'm also lucky to have kids who are strong independent learners. A couple of teachers, are only okay, but we have gotten some pretty fabulous ones.

Each school is different.

Folks I know like Casis - strong programs for advanced kids. I know of two parents at Bryker Woods who are truly frustrated with teaching to the lowest common denominator curriculum.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,912,755 times
Choose to live where you want your kids to go to school. There are three great public elementary schools in AISD: Hill, Doss, and Casis. We moved to a house close to Hill when my daughter turned four. She attended Hill K-5, what a great school.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,274,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Choose to live where you want your kids to go to school. There are three great public elementary schools in AISD: Hill, Doss, and Casis. We moved to a house close to Hill when my daughter turned four. She attended Hill K-5, what a great school.
Not bad advice, but one should always make the school _one_ of the factors on deciding where to move, not the only factor. As anyone who has read this thread can see, opinions differ wildly on even the same schools (this can be at least partially attributed to the fact that many times when folks say great/lousy school, they often mean great/lousy teacher). You may decide to move next to Casis or Spicewood Elementary, but if you decide private/home schooling is better, or that the TAG program in RRISD would be better than AISD, etc then hopefully there are other aspects of where you decided to move that you enjoy, or accept the fact that you may move again.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,122,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
That list is pretty short! Definitely add Highland Park Elementary, I'd put them up against any school in Austin, public or private! As well as Barton Hills, Gullet, and Lee.

And then there are the AISD elementary schools that are getting great results (exemplary ranking) with challenging students (english language learners and lower income students): Pillow, Dawson, Becker, Zilker, Sims, and others.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM

87 posts, read 167,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Sounds like this might be your firstborn too? That firstborn always makes it hard because you are so worried you are going to screw up. After a few years, you realize, it's going to be okay and you relax a bit and start taking each kid for what they need.
Yes, he is my oldest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Also, there are lots of things they can do a in classroom for a kiddo that moves a lot. Chair cushions, exercise balls, therapy putty to hold so they don't fidget so much. Have a consult with an OT. You'd be amazed at the techniques you can teach your kids.
Will they do those things in a regular public school?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 PM

16 posts, read 53,691 times
The question is, what is right for your child. My son has been in a "good" public school for the second year now, and I'm finding that public school is just not a good fit. Having seen how things are now in 2 states, I can say it is the entire system that is broken. I have been involved at many levels--PTA Board member, substitute, Art Enrichment volunteer, library coordinator, field trip chaperone, copy helper, tutor, fundraising chair, and have had a very close eye on my son's education. He is now in 5th grade and I am seriously considering homeschooling.

I want to share with newcomers a few things that Austin ISD gets wrong: only 1 20-minute recess per day (my son goes out the last 30 mins of the day) and too many Special Needs children in the classroom without a second support teacher present at all times. Not that where we came from was at all near perfect, but these were very hard to adjust to. These factors alone make for a chaotic and rigid atmosphere.

We chose this neighborhood because of the good "vertical team" of schools--the elementary, middle and high school feeder pattern. There is no open enrollment in Austin, so you have to take this very seriously. But now that we are getting closer to middle school, I am taking a closer look. The overcrowding, tracking of students and rigid standardized test curriculum is just a turn off. The new STAAR exam will also be a part of your student's grade in high school and taken every year for the core subjects, not just as one exit exam. I'm am NOT convinced that those tests are even good at measuring what they say they do, let alone being a reflection of a grade during the year.

Overall, I have not been pleased and don't see it getting any better. I am not one of the "crazies" but just don't want to see my son unmotivated in a system that is clearly one size fits all. It may fit some and I'm sure most of those will do "fine," but is that the goal?

The so-called good schools here do toot their own horns, so just know that you will hear of a lot of great, wonderful, magnificent, good, awesome, schools that rock, are highly performing, superior or any other over exaggerated label they can use, but it boils down to how your child is doing. Not the PR campaign of the school and it's PTA members. Look into everything, do the footwork, read between the lines, and just know that if it's not working, there are other places for your child. I asked to observe a remedial Reading class that my son was placed in as a result of a benchmark test, and as soon as I called to schedule the date, he was re-tested and immediately sent back to his regular class, faster than I could hang up the phone.

I am trying to make the right decision for my family, and have found that there is a huge homeschool community in Austin. I just wanted to share my experience, because it is hard to get a different side to the public school story that is not all wonderful or not totally horrible--it just wasn't a good fit.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,073,223 times
Quote:
One really needs to ask themselves "what do I want in a school for my child"
My answer is simple: I want my child prepared to succeed in college and in life.

We did private through 8th grade, then Westlake High. Good combination for us. I've seen some parents do the opposite, which I don't understand, but that's their choice. Depends on the kid I guess. But Westlake definitely prepares kids to succeed in college, which is why I chose it for my children after quite a bit of investigation into other public and private High Schools options.

Steve

Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,654,757 times
As someone considering private schools, I don't think public is that bad either. My concerns are that they can be unpredictable. I went to school in a mid-to lower income area next to Dallas ('burb) and had so many teachers that shouldn't have been teaching for various reasons, but some that were great. My husband is from a small town in PA and had an excellent public school experience. I also have concerns about the mix in each classroom-- I remember that in my situation there were those that were performing at a high level mixed in with kids that could benefit from more individual attention and then there were those with more advanced special needs. There were also kids who were from a single parent household who had no supervision and no parental involvement (not saying all single parent households are bad at all so please don't take this the wrong way) who were focused on everything but their education and disrupted the classroom.

Parents have to take an interest in what their kid is doing, ask what they learned each day, keep communicating and listening to what you kid is telling you both verbally and non-verbally and it will help overcome some of these issues.

I like Steve's approach for our situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin