Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,272,209 times

Advertisements

You have figured me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I think eep secretly loves Austin!

Eep is one of those who loves Austin so much they don't want it to change. He will lie and lie till he is blue in the face to try to get anyone who ever thought of moving to Austin to move to Dallas, because he really hates Dallas. He wants all those Californians to move to and ruin Dallas rather than Austin.

Unfortunately for Mr. Eepsein, like those NIMBYs who figured if we didn't invest in infrastructure it would prevent people from moving to Austin which clearly failed to work. His many years campaigning to save his most beloved city, Austin, from all those evil people who may want to move to it also will fail.

In the end the lies are still lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM

293 posts, read 731,320 times
I don't know why I'm trying to even talk to you but this is what you're lying about.

Quote:
Although Travis County often votes democrat, realize that it's generally only by a few percentage and a good chunk of Travis country is republican and horrendously conservative.

I will quote it again so you can't rephrase what you said.

Quote:
Although Travis County often votes democrat, realize that it's generally only by a few percentage and a good chunk of Travis country is republican and horrendously conservative.

Now I get that you use vague terms such as "few percentage" and "a good chunk" but you are delusional.

Last edited by spelrod; 04-11-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 PM

44 posts, read 115,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Too Christian-y??

What is it about "Christian-y" that is so bad or threatening?

I can understand wanting to stay away from a place because of thug culture, gangbangers, crime, filth, zero morals, etc.... but we are worried here about it being too Christian-y, or God forbid, seeing the ten commandments somewhere? Or angel dress-up during the holiday? WOW....
What's so bad? We're Jewish, with a good dose of Buddhism mixed in. I would be seriously offended if my kids were dressed up in Christian garb and fed Christian quotes in school. I used to live near Lancaster PA, where there was an organization devoted to prosletyzing (sp?) children without their parents' consent or even knowledge. I was horrified, and this sounds like more of the same.

Don't get me wrong...I value safety, too. But I don't want my kids brought into another religion's practices without my 100% permission and consent. After all, how would those Christian parents feel if I started teaching their kids about the mistakes in the Christian version of a Messiah, mistranslations of Hebrew in the KJ Bible, etc? Now THAT would spark some fireworks!

It's all about respecting people's right to have a different religion from someone else, and not crossing that line.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM

44 posts, read 115,290 times
Default Hotter than ^%&$!

I am from South Florida, lived 5 minutes from the beach. So I am used to SOME heat. But it is almost NEVER, EVER 100 (maybe once every 10 years for a day) and is usually in the 80's with a breeze in summer. The dry, horrible heat here is unbearable.

Also having a hard time making friends here...people are kind of fake friendly...like they say welcome with a big smile, but never follow up with real connection. I've lived all over the country, and have to sadly say this is the least friendly city for a newcomer once you go past that sugar-y first conversation.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,290,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
This area is made up of a 5 or 6 country area correct? Besides Travis county which generally is only a LIGHT shade of blue, please let me know which other counties in metro Austin are considered democratic?
If all five counties had the same sized electorate, that would be a valid point. They aren't, and it isn't.

For example, the 2010 governor's race. Travis went 60-40 democrat (not my definition of LIGHT blue, but YMMV). Williamson went 60-40 Republican -- but Travis had almost 30,000 more voters. The other three counties? Bastrop and Caldwell split almost evenly, and Hays went 52-44 Republican.

But because of the significantly larger turnout in Travis, Bill White, the democrat, carried the metro. The heavily democrat electorate in Travis means this metro will consistently buck the statewide trends. In a state where there are NO statewide democrat office holders, the Austin metro is an anomaly, consistently selecting democrats in statewide races.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:54 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,369,652 times
I-35 and the smothering Liberalism.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

105 posts, read 127,478 times
I'm just saying.... I think Austin is trying too hard to be a liberal town... but unfortunately, its in the middle of a red state. Nothing wrong with that but it can't have its cake and eat it too. Plus it has too many transplants and transients who try tooo hard to fit in but I don't think they know what they are trying to fit in to. Then theres the snooty crowd, the baristas and cashiers with attitudes. It also seems to be comprised of many folks who are too concious of what others do and so they try to do the same.

It would be nice if Austin brings back the real Texans, Southerners and Hispanics in order to maintain its authenticity and be truly a friendly and welcoming community.

I think that the only real and stable identity of Austin right now are its original residents. The Hispanics. Which the non-Hispanic transplants seem to ignore. I'm just saying.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,470,165 times
goodman3, how long have you lived in Austin? Or how long did you visit when you visited?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,833,052 times
Quote:
Then theres the snooty crowd, the baristas and cashiers with attitudes.
You are just as likely to encounter this stereotype in Seattle, Portland, New York, LA, and San Francisco. With the possible exception of Portland, I wouldn't even begin to describe the whole area based off of it.

Quote:
It would be nice if Austin brings back the real Texans, Southerners and Hispanics in order to maintain its authenticity
I'm going to assume that you are one of these things and that you want more people like yourself around to be "friendly and welcoming." If so, I agree that Austin is a poor choice for you. There is no shortage of towns that fit the bill.

You are trying to make your very limited experience fit a sweeping generalization. Austin is not the two streets you hung out on for a weekend. If you go to hipster town, you will encounter hipsters. If you don't ever want to do that, there is almost every other city in Texas for you to enjoy.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,406,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
I'm just saying.... I think Austin is trying too hard to be a liberal town... but unfortunately, its in the middle of a red state. Nothing wrong with that but it can't have its cake and eat it too. Plus it has too many transplants and transients who try tooo hard to fit in but I don't think they know what they are trying to fit in to. Then theres the snooty crowd, the baristas and cashiers with attitudes. It also seems to be comprised of many folks who are too concious of what others do and so they try to do the same.

It would be nice if Austin brings back the real Texans, Southerners and Hispanics in order to maintain its authenticity and be truly a friendly and welcoming community.

I think that the only real and stable identity of Austin right now are its original residents. The Hispanics. Which the non-Hispanic transplants seem to ignore. I'm just saying.
I'm trying to figure out what the motivation is here? You claim to live in the "great lakes area", which could be construed as roughly 10% of the contiguous US - or even Canada for that matter, yet you troll an Austin relocation/info board with sweeping insults, generalizations and misinformation.

Please accept the fact that you know absolutely nothing about Austin, its culture, people, climate, politics or history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin