Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM

116 posts, read 213,048 times

Advertisements

I live in Circle C right now but I always keep my eye on the market in the neighborhood to see what's available, in case I can get something with greenbelt. I think it depends on the home (over $500k, less than, less than $300k) but I wouldn't change out the countertops to sell unless they are horrific. Well priced homes in Circle C seem to be selling briskly. Our next door neighbor's house sold in four days, and down the street in nine days in recent months. The house down the street had Corian in a part of Circle C that has almost all granite. Our house has Corian and I'm confident it would sell quickly though a broker has counseled us to replace it. It seems like there are a lot of people that really want to be in Circle C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM

239 posts, read 518,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmatbert View Post
I live in Circle C right now but I always keep my eye on the market in the neighborhood to see what's available, in case I can get something with greenbelt. I think it depends on the home (over $500k, less than, less than $300k) but I wouldn't change out the countertops to sell unless they are horrific. Well priced homes in Circle C seem to be selling briskly. Our next door neighbor's house sold in four days, and down the street in nine days in recent months. The house down the street had Corian in a part of Circle C that has almost all granite. Our house has Corian and I'm confident it would sell quickly though a broker has counseled us to replace it. It seems like there are a lot of people that really want to be in Circle C.
Well, if I may be so bold, your broker even advised to REPLACE CORIAN (which can be considered a step up from the OPs Formica). Now, no doubt that CC is a desirable area...however when selling a house, one that is somewhat outdated as compared to like properties will 1) take longer to sell, and 2) command a lower price. That's a choice the seller needs to make.

You want your house to be a "must have" at first viewing. (Unless it is the buyers intention to buy a distressed property) buyers will hesitate and weigh their options if there is (especially) remodeling involved. And since plenty of updated homes exist on the market...the outdated house will usually be passed on. MHO

Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times
IMO, only upgrade if it's really, really bad or if it would be a hassle to do after someone moved in. Countertops are not hard to replace and can be done anytime. Carpet is a pain so I would want that done before I moved in.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmatbert View Post
Our house has Corian and I'm confident it would sell quickly though a broker has counseled us to replace it. It seems like there are a lot of people that really want to be in Circle C.
And just for the record, I'd agree with you about not replacing Corian (if in good condition and neutral in color)...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
IMO, only upgrade if it's really, really bad or if it would be a hassle to do after someone moved in. Countertops are not hard to replace and can be done anytime. Carpet is a pain so I would want that done before I moved in.
Not quite following you....
I'm not quite sure how the seller, at this point in time could determine whether replacing countertops would be a "hassle"... or not... for any future buyer....

And you make the seller buy you carpet? Good for you!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:46 PM

40 posts, read 85,308 times
Thank you for all of the input. I'm now thinking that I should price out a standard, neutral granite and decide if the cost is worth it. We just bought 2 years ago, so we need to sell at decent price per sqft to break even or profit a little. I just saw a virtual tour of our identical floorplan and the upgraded granite kitchen was gorgeous, even though granite is not my first pick. That house is just a block away and sold in days. THAT would be great.

On that note, I know that the big box stores hire out contractors to do their granite work so it's cheaper to just go directly to a granite place. Any cheap granite recommendations for places that will sell the granite and do installation?

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funicorn View Post
Thank you for all of the input. I'm now thinking that I should price out a standard, neutral granite and decide if the cost is worth it. We just bought 2 years ago, so we need to sell at decent price per sqft to break even or profit a little. I just saw a virtual tour of our identical floorplan and the upgraded granite kitchen was gorgeous, even though granite is not my first pick. That house is just a block away and sold in days. THAT would be great.

On that note, I know that the big box stores hire out contractors to do their granite work so it's cheaper to just go directly to a granite place. Any cheap granite recommendations for places that will sell the granite and do installation?

Yeah, it's tough when you have to sell after a couple of years, but good luck to you!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
I have a teensy bit of trouble with the "all the homes in this area have xxxx" as a 'requirement' to conform or risk not selling your house. A) Not everybody wants what everybody else has; and 2) Replacing the counters to 'match' the neighborhood doesn't take into account the style of the kitchen or, more importantly, the condition/style of the cabinets(as G G mentioned).

There are some pretty nifty Formica cleaners/restorers out there for the DIY-er. I'd take a shot at that and see if the appearance improves. It won't fool anybody into thinking it's their 'dream' countertop; but, it might remove some of the negative associated with a non-solid surface.

After all, YOU bought the house just two years ago with the existing counters. IF CC is selling as fast as some have described, those countertops won't NOW prevent your home from selling.

And let me throw in a *snicker* for those who have pronounced granite on its 'death bed'. *snicker-snicker*

Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Not quite following you....
I'm not quite sure how the seller, at this point in time could determine whether replacing countertops would be a "hassle"... or not... for any future buyer....

And you make the seller buy you carpet? Good for you!
For example, the house I'm in had mint green formica countertops with mint green grout in the backsplash when I bought it. I thought it was just awful but it didn't keep me from buying the house which was otherwise perfect for me. A couple months after we moved in we replaced the countertops and backsplash and it was easy, painless.

The carpets - I so wish I had replaced before we moved in. They were worn out and I had planned on replacing them but the movers came an hour after closing instead of at the end of the week. Now I look at all the furniture and items that have to be moved just to replace the carpet in each room.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funicorn View Post
Any cheap granite recommendations for places that will sell the granite and do installation?

Yes, these guys are recommended A LOT (they get rave reviews on Yelp too) and though we've not had a reason to use them yet, I expect we will when we get into a new house.

Austin Granite Countertops Direct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin