Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:15 AM

21 posts, read 44,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking for suggestions for fun things to do in and around Austin for families with elementary-aged kids. I have searched all of the websites, but can't find any with actual reviews to tell if the activities are worth it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,896 times
It depends on what sort of stuff you are looking for. Outdoor stuff? Indoor entertainment? Do you want it to be Austin specific or are you okay with surrounding areas? Are you looking for male or female sort of entertainment? I have a 10 year old girl and we have done just about everything Austin and the surrounding area has to offer for kids so I can help if you can narrow it down for me.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
my boys love jumpstreet and also Main event for indoor things here on the NW side of town. Austin's Park is fun also.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Have you seen this? No reviews but descriptions (and written by a person not a bot)
Mr Johnnys Kid Events - daily calendar - Fri - February 10 - 2012 - of things to do with children and family activities in Austin Texas. List your event at www.kidevents.com/even-ad.htm

And this, Little Austinite | Austin Kid's Guide, Austin kids directory, Austin kids events, Austin kids eat free, for Austin area for families and visitors with kids It includes reviews!

8 year boys? Have you tried the UT Natural History Museum? The big UT Open House is coming. Rock climbing at the rock gym? Kayaking? Geocaching? Blazer Tag?

As Luksky says, it all depends on what you are interested in. In elementary school, my kids loved Central Market and Farmer's Markets too!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times
You could tour the Inner Space Caverns in Georgetown

Inner Space Cavern. One of the best preserved caves in Texas and one of the few places where remains of prehistoric animals were unearthed

Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,936 times
"Why Kids Need a Big Dose of Nature" (article)

And personally speaking, when they are out there, all forms of electronic entertainment stays at home i.e. no PSPs, no cellphones (unless needed for emergency communication), etc. But other gear like this would be cool (to this nerd anyway ): binoculars for birds and geologic sights; telescopes including astronomical types* since away from the city the skies are *so* much darker and in turn much easier to see the good stuff up there; bug books and bug containers, and if permitted and the land is suitable, an R.C. car or truck. Lots of things to do....outside!

* here's a neat beginner scope for only $60 - my own telescope was bought from this company - that may look toy-like, but quality is much better than most "department store" scopes with their cheezy optics (cause rainbows & other distortions) and shaky mounts, two of the main reasons such scopes can be so discouraging to use for beginners.

Last edited by Lije Baley; 02-11-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
My daughter absolutely loves Inner Space Caverns. Her school just went on a field trip there last week. She's been twice before that as well, and thinks she's an old pro now

Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy1323 View Post
Hello,
I am looking for suggestions for fun things to do in and around Austin for families with elementary-aged kids. I have searched all of the websites, but can't find any with actual reviews to tell if the activities are worth it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!
austin park and pizza. For $20 you can get all you can eat food (crappy pizza and pasta), go karts, bumper boats (crappy). They also have batting cages and video games for extra $. The go karts alone were worth the entry fee.

for $50/hour you can rent a boat and go wakeboarding/waterskiing or get jetskis

rock climbing indoors at first (austin rock gym) or outdoors later

mountain biking at walnut creek (good beginners trail)

paintball (really fun for boys)

tubing down the comal

Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 AM

313 posts, read 786,162 times
This makes for a good overnight trip, either camping or in the lodge

The Serengeti Resort, Event Center and Wine Tasting. Bergheim, Texas.

will definitely bring my son back when he's old enough. You can ride on golf carts among antelope, ostriches, giraffes, zebras and camels and feed them.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,875 times
There is a drive through petting zoo near Austin with exotic aniimals. If the kids are brave might be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: