Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:39 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,622 times

Advertisements

This is not exactly a new article, but still think it's relevant (man I wish we could post short excerpts from articles!):

"Why Kids Need a Big Dose of Nature"

Experts give their opinions on why they think kids need more time outdoors, unstructured time, and that some believe that staying indoors so much could be contributing to the alarming numbers of children diagnosed with depression and ADHD.

I'll admit I am biased in this matter since I love being outdoors (and do not expect to everyone to suddenly convert to my lifestyle) but even before this news was made public, for years now I've worried that so many kids don't even go outside in their own neighborhoods anymore & are allowed to just sit and vegetate in their home in front of a computer, their cell phone or a game console. Call me an old fart if you want, but spending so much time with those inanimate objects is not healthy IMO and I am not just referring to their users' physical conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 01:54 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
I'm not an outdoors person at all, but I want my daughter to grow up doing other things than watch TV or whatever. So we go out on a regular basis - she's just 11 months old, but I know she's happy when she's out there, and she needs to get used to the outdoors now, otherwise she may never enjoy it...

Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Outdoors Dairy Farm Boarding School ... Worked for me. No need to worry about attending sports and school events. 24x7 responsibilities. There are many still operating and have space (and work) for YOUR kid.

We homeschooled and lived in the boonies but our kids didn't enjoy the outdoors as I did at same eage. They still were out a lot, and they designed and built their own houses as Jr High kids (did college instead of High School). They liked the outdoor work until winter.... then you would find mom and dad helping with pouring concrete, roofing ... They each had 'recreational' outdoor jobs (ski / snowboard / climbing instructors / wildland firefighters / search and rescue...)

frequent 6-12 week homeschool field trips (almost always camping) and living on 3 different continents in several cultures was a big help to the kids.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 PM

101 posts, read 193,867 times
It also prevents nearsightedness or myopia in children.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:09 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
One of the best times when I took my Girl Scout troop camping was just letting them play near our camp. They made up games, created a fort, it was fantastic!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 PM

102 posts, read 171,398 times
I know I'm coming across as very negative in my posts today but....

I am a big outdoors person and a huge advocate of environmental education and free play. I moved recently from an asphalt jungle to a rain forest. I wanted SO MUCH for it to be the answer. Hasn't provento be so yet (in my tiny sample)! I lean more towards media as the culprit in kids' learning and behavior issues. Mind you, I still think exposure to nature is essential and great for everyone! But darnit, more ADHD etc than ever.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM

379 posts, read 813,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
for years now I've worried that so many kids don't even go outside in their own neighborhoods anymore .
I never stopped to wonder where all the kids are. You're right, they're not outside anymore! As kids, we were outside constantly! Playing football, tag, riding bikes, walking around the neighborhood. We interacted with each other. I guess today's kids interact with machines.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eling View Post
It also prevents nearsightedness or myopia in children.
So incorrect!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So incorrect!
It's an interesting question.
Medical Detectives Focus On Myopia : NPR

Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Yes, and it is being studied.
But stating that playing outdoors "prevents nearsightedness or myopia in children" is still incorrect.

I know plenty of kids (now adults!) who spent hours outside everyday who are nearsighted. Same with when I worked as an optician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education