Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM

44 posts, read 100,787 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have my mom and her husband visiting my fiancee and I end of the month for about 10 days. They've been here once before where we stayed close to Austin (shopping, visited Marble Falls, etc.), but as they're from Europe their only other trip to the US was the New England area. I've kicked the idea around of taking a trip out to west Texas to see the area out there (I've never been either) -- any ideas of where to head and a place to stay for a night? No real purpose except to see something. Her husband doesn't walk that great (he can walk maybe a mile) so hiking is out of the question...

Any thoughts appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobv84 View Post
Hi,

I have my mom and her husband visiting my fiancee and I end of the month for about 10 days. They've been here once before where we stayed close to Austin (shopping, visited Marble Falls, etc.), but as they're from Europe their only other trip to the US was the New England area. I've kicked the idea around of taking a trip out to west Texas to see the area out there (I've never been either) -- any ideas of where to head and a place to stay for a night? No real purpose except to see something. Her husband doesn't walk that great (he can walk maybe a mile) so hiking is out of the question...

Any thoughts appreciated!
There is not really anything out there. The coast is actually pretty nice, I would go to south padre, port aransas, or even mexico before I went west.

Going east could be good as well, new orleans is pretty close and is actually one of the great cities to visit in the US

Old 03-11-2012, 02:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Check out the Gage Hotel in Marathon (also Big Bend or Alpine/Marfa since you will be driving out there). Also could check out some dude ranches in Bandera, but I'm not sure what the options for someone with limited mobility would be.

A little closer to home, the LBJ Ranch at Johnson City is nice from a historical perspective, but it can get somewhat crowded this time of year (Wildflower season).

Of course, a quick fight to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/West Coast (SF or LA) should round out the USA experience for them. Then they'll have seen a bit of everything.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Big Bend National Park is awesome, truly like nothing they've ever seen, and the artsy town of Marfa nearby is fun, with a world class modern art museum, and a coupla good hotels and restaurants... BUT... it's a 7 hour drive to get there, and 7 hours back, and there is just nothing going on in between. So it's a weekender at least, not a day trip. But if you do it, you'll never forget it.

Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

The Official Marfa, Texas Chamber of Commerce Website

The Chinati Foundation | La Fundación Chinati

My other suggestion, stop by the Austin Visitor's Center on 6th Street... they have maps and guides for the entire state, and people to help you plan whatever kind of a getaway you want to have.

Austin, TX | Austin Hotels, Events, Attractions, Things To Do & More | AustinTexas.org

Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Many people have a lot of positive things to say about staying a the Indian Lodge in the Davis Mountain State Park. TPWD: Indian Lodge

Spring is probably a really nice time to visit the desert area. The lodge and rooms are adobe structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the depression. They have since been modernized and upgraded.

Davis Mountains State Park & Indian Lodge, Texas [Official] - YouTube

The MacDonald Observatory is a short distance away and does has guided tours. http://www.as.utexas.edu/mcdonald/

Old 03-11-2012, 04:14 PM

44 posts, read 100,787 times
Cool thanks everyone lots of great ideas! Am planning to go to Space Center in Houston (my 3rd time and I really think it's boring...) and might head on to the coast and spend the night there or just drive back -- time will tell.

And... what a gorgeous day today turned out to be! Looove living in Austin on days like today. Great run around Lady Bird Lake and a buzzing downtown with SXSW attendees.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
You could go to Corpus Christi for the weekend it's not as far as South Padre.

Corpus Christi Hotels, Attractions, Group Tours, Beaches & Texas Vacations in Corpus Christi

Welcome Aboard The USS LEXINGTON Museum On The Bay - USS LEXINGTON Museum On The Bay

Texas State Aquarium

North Padre Island

Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobv84 View Post
Cool thanks everyone lots of great ideas! Am planning to go to Space Center in Houston (my 3rd time and I really think it's boring...) and might head on to the coast and spend the night there or just drive back -- time will tell.
If you are going to NASA, just drive out to Galveston and spend the night there. Try to get the Hotel Galvez if you can, it's a gorgeous hotel with lots of history. They also have free bikes there to ride around Galveston (although driving is easy, too).

The best thing about Galveston is the historic nature of the city, the Strand, etc (not so much the beach). Great fresh seafood places all over town.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Also, if in Galveston, Visit the sailing ship The Elissa and maybe go to Moody Gardens
Galveston Historical Foundation
Moody Gardens Galveston Texas | Amusement Theme Parks | Houston Attractions | Family & Group Vacation Idea TX

I agree, NASA is not the most exciting, especially if you have been there before, but I can't tell you how many foreign tourists I saw in the area when I have stayed down there for work.

Oh, it has been a while since I have been down there, but for seafood, Guido's was still the standard for good reason:
http://www.gaidosofgalveston.com/

And for a good pub, go to O'Mally's (which is not sophisticated enough to have its own website):
http://www.galveston.com/omalleys/

Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
The problem with West Texas is that even if there is one or two cool things there, the drive is horrible. I would try to find something to do in San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas if you want to leave the Austin area. The fact that one of your guests can't walk very long further limits what you could do in Big Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin