Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM

16 posts, read 36,020 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about a huge relocation to the Austin area, in the areas of Cedar Park/Leander/Round Rock/Liberty Hill. Currently we live in the Chicago area, and we're so sick of the urban-ness, and the extremely high cost of living. We have 5 small children, 6 years and under, and want more rural, quiet, slower pace of life with a family-friendly community, and bye-bye to Midwest winters.
The Austin area seems too good to be true. The houses we looked at that were comparable to ours were 4x the size! We bought our house for $222K, it's barely 1000 sq. ft., on less than a 1/4 acre lot, no back yard, on a busy street. The same price seems to fetch a beautiful home in Austin. The schools seems nice. Everything we've heard (other than the extremely hot summers- which would be a welcome to us) is absolutely positive about Austin and the surrounding areas.
So this cynic, city-born Chicago girl wants to know...What's the catch? This all seems WAY TOO GOOD to be true? Are you all for real? Or we just pipe dreaming up here in the freezing Midwest?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 AM

355 posts, read 923,295 times
Obviously you haven't been here during the summer...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM

285 posts, read 568,174 times
It is far from a perfect place, but Austin will probably suit you well.

The schools in Round Rock and Leander ISDs are good, and for the cost of your home in Chicago you will probably be able to find a new home twice as large in Austin. That area of greater Austin is also very quiet and safe.

The "catches" of Austin include incredibly long and hot summers, horrible traffic for a mid-sized city, a very competitive job market, and a lack of big city civic amenities (sports teams, museums, and the like).

Overall, Austin is a great place to live. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 AM

No, I've never been further than Iowa, I'm embarrassed to say.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
It gets hot in the summer. Sometimes VERY hot, though last summer was a record-setter that some folks seem to think is "normal". It all depends on what you can cope with. Some folks have no problem and even go running in the heat; others hole up in AC and complain endlessly. Me, I rely on AC, but we have window units (1930 or so house) and high ceilings and normally don't turn even them on until late June/early July. But I've lived here all my life so I'm acclimated.

Otherwise, you should pretty much be able to find what you've described you're looking for here.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Have you looked at Peoria! It has much of what you want -- smaller, more rural atmosphere (especially in the towns around it), good schools, lower cost housing, etc. But you won't have to completely uproot yourself and your family. Don't underestimate how important nearby family can be. It is a LONG drive between Chicago and Austin, around 30 hours. And I guarantee that there are so many things that you are taking for granted right now -- that you think are generic America -- but that are actually regional-upperMidwest -- that you will miss in Texas.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks Texas Lady! So, it seems that it's not a fairy-tale, huh? It's all true. Wow!
How's the job market down there?

Round Rock VS. Pfluegerville? Thoughts?

Real estate agents have told me to stay away from areas East of I35. Why?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I guarantee that there are so many things that you are taking for granted right now -- that you think are generic America -- but that are actually regional-upperMidwest -- that you will miss in Texas.
I'm curious. Like what? (not being flippant! generally truly curious about what you mean)

Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
For what you're describing, I'd say Cedar Park, Leander, Liberty Hill, Pflugerville, Georgetown or, south, Dripping Springs.

East of I35 - as to why some agents are telling you that, I don't know without knowing which agents told you that. Could be that they are concerned about foundation issues (the soil east of I35 is Houston black, or black gumbo clay, and if the foundation isn't done correctly in the first place, that can cause issues, but it's not like every builder does it incorrectly, or that every home has foundation issues - and those that will, this last serious drought pretty much made obvious, it would seem). Could be that they have the perception that east of I35 is the "wrong side of the tracks" because in downtown Austin, it once was, and to some extent still is, though it's gentrifying fast and property east of I35, even near downtown, is becoming highly desirable. But if you're looking for small town living, that's not going to be an issue for you. It's also more small town/rural than urban, outside of Austin proper, and that scares some folks. Sounds like it wouldn't scare you, though.

What exactly are you looking for? If you love to garden, or want horses, you'll find better soil for that east of I35, though there are pockets west of I35 that will do - you just have to find them, and they have to be for sale (or your agent has to be able to talk the owners into selling).

What kind of price range are you looking at? Prices are likely to be lower closer in east, though you can still find good deals west, just more likely to be a bit further out. What size community do you have in mind?

As for employment, jobs are still hard to find but we're in better shape than a lot of places. A lot depends on your industry, of course.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie425 View Post
My family and I are thinking about a huge relocation to the Austin area, in the areas of Cedar Park/Leander/Round Rock/Liberty Hill. Currently we live in the Chicago area, and we're so sick of the urban-ness, and the extremely high cost of living. We have 5 small children, 6 years and under, and want more rural, quiet, slower pace of life with a family-friendly community, and bye-bye to Midwest winters.
The Austin area seems too good to be true. The houses we looked at that were comparable to ours were 4x the size! We bought our house for $222K, it's barely 1000 sq. ft., on less than a 1/4 acre lot, no back yard, on a busy street. The same price seems to fetch a beautiful home in Austin. The schools seems nice. Everything we've heard (other than the extremely hot summers- which would be a welcome to us) is absolutely positive about Austin and the surrounding areas.
So this cynic, city-born Chicago girl wants to know...What's the catch? This all seems WAY TOO GOOD to be true? Are you all for real? Or we just pipe dreaming up here in the freezing Midwest?
The reason our properties are cheaper is because we have a large property tax rate to offset our lack of state income tax. We also have a lot of wide open spaces, so it's generally cheaper to build new, then buy old (this is the opposite of Chicago where there is only so many places left to build, and it's cheaper to rehab). Add to that the appreciation you see on homes. Since it's usually cheaper to build, most people are not going to pay a premium for your house unless it is very well located. Where as in Chicago people can reasonably expect their house value to increase at a steady clip each year, in Austin, that is not always the case.

The trade off is no public transportation (at least in the areas you mention) so increased cost for having to buy 2 cars, and insurance on both of them. The weather can be oppressive. Also, while you may be tired of the "urban-ess" of Chicago, a lot of people are surprised at how old it gets having to drive 15 mins to get anything done. 15 mins to pick up your kids, 15 to the store, 15 to go mail a package, etc etc. Things are not centrally or conveniently located, and that can be a cultural shock to some..some don't care at all however.

I recommend you research property tax in Texas. You would be surprised how much your mortgage payment might be on a cheaper house. Maybe equal or close too what you pay in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin