Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,825 times

Advertisements

I'm very interested in buying an old 1940's home in Brentwood, south of Koenig. It's in relatively good condition, but the house next door appears to be in a state of disrepair--peeling paint and torn window screens. However, the yard seems to be tended to somewhat and is not in such bad shape as the house exterior. I know that this area has a mix of old houses needing work and updated remodels. This house next door looks particularly run-down so I am concerned both for my (future) property's value and for my safety.

My realtor can not give me much additional information and has said that this is how the neighborhood is. I've tried to research online but to little avail. I can find no information about who lives there. Based on the Travis County tax appraisal site and other internet searches, I'm fairly certain that the house is a rental. Why anyone would rent a dump like that is beyond me.

I hear that Brentwood is a great area to live. Should I be worried about buying this house that I otherwise love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Most likely that house was fully paid for 20 years ago and the owner is elderly or unwilling to keep it up and the rent (after property taxes) is pure profit.

That house could be bought by a developer tomorrow, razed and rebuilt! Then you might have to worry about your property values go up too high!

Brentwood has an active neighborhood association, I'd try to contact them and get some more information. Long-term, you are probably fine. Central city lots are valuable and re-development is picking up steam, investors and builders are out looking for homes just like that to raze or renovate.

Short-term, could be tougher. The transformation might not occur in time for you if you think you might sell in 2-3 years. A dumpy house next door is never a good thing but it is much less of a risk in central austin than it would be to buy next to a poorly maintained home in the suburbs (little chance of complete renovation or investor-driven redevelopment.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,014 times
Okay, I know I'll get a lot of flack for saying what I'm about to say, but what the hay. There are renovated houses in Brentwood, and there are run down houses in Brentwood. It's not my cup of tea. I wouldn't go with the whole "elderly people" notion. There are some crazies living in Brentwood. There are people doing drugs living in Brentwood. Of course there are families trying to gentrify the neighborhood but you'll never 100% get rid of some of the riff raff that lives over there. There are a lot of rental homes which brings in some undesirable element. I don't know why people think this is such a fabulous area to live. The schools are just okay. Just don't expect to buy and live in Mayberry. It is a very Keep Austin Weird neighborhood.

Okay, here comes the backlash....

Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Did you know that there are people doing drugs in very expensive homes in gated HOA neighborhoods? I realize that probably doesn't fit in with your world view, but, trust me, drugs, spousal abuse, child abuse, the whole nine yards, occurs in your preferred neighborhoods just like it does in every other one. The notion that it doesn't, in fact, is a big contributor to the difficulty in getting rid of the problem in those areas - nobody wants to believe the victims because "it can't happen here".

I seriously doubt Brentwood, from what I know of it, has a higher percentage of that kind of thing than most other neighborhoods. Now, "crazies", if by that you mean people who are a bit more creative and not quite as into ticky tacky as some, Brentwood does seemn to have more artistic and creative types, I believe, than some neighborhoods. VERY active neighborhood association and its own little paper, too; it's a pretty neighborly area.

The houses, of course, fit in with that, They vary in style, you're not going to see the same five models alternating down the street, some are going to be better kept than others. The market doesn't seem to agree with you, llkltk, by the way.

Question. What's your personal experience of Brentwood?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,014 times
I lived near there years ago and knew plenty of people that lived there. Even knew some druggies. Oooh, can you believe it THL! You think I'm some suburbanite loser and you have no idea of who I am. The poster asked for people's thoughts, and I gave them. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I stand by what I said about Brentwood. I said there were gentrified homes but they were among other types of homes. Goodness, it amazes me how people take offense to the truth.

Why don't you offer the OP some advice instead of jumping on other people's posts.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I have friends who have lived there for quite some years (one couple's daughter who was born after they moved there and attended Brentwood Elementary now has a three year old of her own and is approaching 30, as an example of how long - she chose to live there, by the way). It being a pretty hot neighborhood, I've kept a finger on its pulse professionally, as well.

You're right, I don't know you, llkltk. All I have to go by is what you consistently post on C-D. That's what I respond to.

You said you were expecting "backlash", which I guess you define as "disagreeing with you based on what you post". So why do you have a problem receiving it?

OP, Brentwood is a neighborhood that people want to move into. As I said, it's a neighborhood with a variety of homes, many of whom are occupied by long-term residents who've seen no reason to move out even if the neighbors are a bit (but only a bit, really) "Austin weird". (My friends referenced above just chose to do a major remodel of their home, keeping the house consistent with the feel of the neighborhood they love but giving themselves a bit more room, rather than moving elsewhere to get that extra room.)

The question becomes, how long are you anticipating living there? Are you planning on doing any renovations to the house you're looking at buying? Are you looking at it as a long term home or as a two or three year pit stop?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
[quote=SaraSoda;23864693

...Should I be worried about buying this house that I otherwise love?[/QUOTE]

You're already worried, else you wouldn't have posted. What you're asking, essentially, is if you should stop worrying and ignore the rundown house next door and buy the house you love anyway.

I'm more worried about you proclaiming love over a house than I am the rundown house. It's never a good idea to fall in love with a house you're considering. You lose negotiating power and perspective when you let that happen.

That said, assume the rundown house will remain as-is or get worse over the next 25 years. Assume it will always be this bad, or worse, for the full duration of your ownership next door. If, assuming that, you still want to buy the house, then go ahead. If you can't live with that potential scenario, then don't buy it. Move on.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM

RE: TexasHorseLady's questions -- I'm hoping to live there for at least five to ten years, if not longer. However, I have to be realistic and don't want to rule out the short term either--I could meet someone I'd like to move in with (if not vice versa), or my job could require relocation, or I may need to care for an aging parent. If a situation like that arose, I would probably consider renting out the house before selling it.

The house is a 2/1 which is really all that I need. I've never been a proponent of "bigger is better" and I suppose that's why I find these tiny mid-century homes so charming. I'm not planning to do extensive renovations, although I expect to do some updates as my budget allows.

Also, as a single woman, I am concerned about safety and want to be able to sleep soundly--scary things always seem scarier at night. I've driven around the neighborhood a number of times to see if I can find anything odd or concerning about the house next door. I have yet to see someone enter or exit the house, but I can tell that it is inhabited. I haven't been able to catch any of the neighbors outside to see if they can offer input, although I'm not really sure how to ask the question without putting them on their guard.

If this "crazy" house were a few doors down, I really wouldn't be so worried. But unfortunately, the house is right next door.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM

austin-steve,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Good advice from AustinSteve. Also llkltk.... though the review isn't what some want to hear, there is truth in it from what I've observed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin