Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I moved from South Florida where soil was mostly sand with a bit of clay underneath. I was able to hand dig big holes in no time using just shovels.

I am getting ready to build a barn out of wood and for that I need to dig some large lumber into the ground. Since I am in the Hill country (Wimberley), what do folks here use to dig holes large/deep enough to hold large posts with concrete? I am aware that the soil is largely limestone and clay but what tools are used locally? Where do I find them? Are they rentable?

Thanks!
OD
What you would need is an auger which you can rent from Home Depot (if they have a rental desk) or check the Yellow Pages for equipment rental places such as United Rental, as well as others. If you do not need to dig deep, and will not encounter the limestone, then you can rent a gas powered hand auger. This would be the less expensive option. Otherwise you can rent a Bobcat with a blade and an auger attached to the rear, with the appropriate bit for breaching the limestone. The Bobcat blade can be very useful to prepare the area and perform final grading as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yep, that is what I call a breaker bar, used one for many hours as a kid :P. The on thing that grows really well around here is rocks.....
Plus cactus, cedars & fireants.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
What you would need is an auger which you can rent from Home Depot (if they have a rental desk) or check the Yellow Pages for equipment rental places such as United Rental, as well as others. If you do not need to dig deep, and will not encounter the limestone, then you can rent a gas powered hand auger. This would be the less expensive option. Otherwise you can rent a Bobcat with a blade and an auger attached to the rear, with the appropriate bit for breaching the limestone. The Bobcat blade can be very useful to prepare the area and perform final grading as well.
Thanks! I am guessing the bobcat is not something you just get into and drive, it needs someone who knows how to run it properly?

OD

Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Thanks! I am guessing the bobcat is not something you just get into and drive, it needs someone who knows how to run it properly?

OD
Bobcat is a brand name that is a generally used term for skid steer loaders. Here is a picture of one from the manufacturer of that brand name Skid-Steer Loaders - Bobcat Company. Some loaders have three point attachment points other than on the front that you can attach the auger to and some require removing the blade and adding the auger.

A Bobcat is one of the easiest pieces of light construction equipment you can learn to use. They're also loads of fun to work with!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...xbL4oeIN5RkIX2

Old 05-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Thank you, that was informative. I am building a pole barn of sorts so I need to burry the carrying posts into the ground to a certain depth. I am fairly sure I will run into rock at some point so I think the best idea is to find someone that can operate a bobcat with an auger attachment, like you say.

Thank you,
OD

Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
If you do not need to dig deep, and will not encounter the limestone
He did say Wimberely area, right? Anyway, I expect he can get 1-2" before he hits limestone.....

Old 05-18-2012, 07:05 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Thank you, that was informative. I am building a pole barn of sorts so I need to burry the carrying posts into the ground to a certain depth. I am fairly sure I will run into rock at some point so I think the best idea is to find someone that can operate a bobcat with an auger attachment, like you say.

Thank you,
OD
Just take a shovel and see how deep you can go. Chances are you wont be able to go more than 6 inches. I dont think an auger will be effective in austin limestone.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
He did say Wimberely area, right? Anyway, I expect he can get 1-2" before he hits limestone.....
Yup, I tried with a shovel in a few places I hit limestone pretty quick...
OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin