Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM

207 posts, read 464,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
You can buy your own Tivo and get a cable card from Time Warner if you'd rather use a Tivo. That's what I do, but my Tivo isn't that great either.
This. However I love my Tivo premier with lifetime service and it is worlds better than any cable box I have ever used. As someone who has moved around a good bit I love not losing all of my shows when I switch providers. Being able to schedule recordings remotely is pretty great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM

326 posts, read 825,336 times
it's terrible - i have had three boxes now, all Scientific American. i have also had the cable wires replaced and it's still slow and crappy. my ability to record went out suddenly and i've dreaded actually getting on the phone with them and have just been living with it for a week now. sigh.

if only netflix had decent content. i'd leave twc in a heartbeat.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM

547 posts, read 1,436,635 times
They are horrible. The funny part is when you go to cancel, they won't tell you where to return the box and then they will send you a bill that claims that 1980s piece of crap is worth $550; one final middle finger from Time Warner to me before I left and will never be back.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM

73 posts, read 191,620 times
Our first one sucked they sent out a Tech he sucked seemed upset we were his last call at 430 on a friday. He spent about 5 minutes flipping channels and said well nothing wrong here and took off and was on his cell the whole time. Called back 2 days later and a new tech came he installed a new box and haven't had any issues. The thing I noticed first tech I think was a contractor and the second an employee big difference. Coming from Comcast living back east to Time Warner, I would chose Time Warner any day over Comcast.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 AM

27 posts, read 44,914 times
Can I buy equipment to access the higher channels of TW and ditch their SA equipment and get rid of those monthly payments?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 PM

207 posts, read 464,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maustintx View Post
Can I buy equipment to access the higher channels of TW and ditch their SA equipment and get rid of those monthly payments?
Yes, kinda. A Tivo DVR with lifetime service will fit the bill rather nicely, although it will run you about $550 ($50 for a refurbished Tivo Premier and $500 for lifetime service). To get the higher channels you will need to get a Cablecard from TWC; this slots into the back of the Tivo and TWC will charge you $2 per month for it.

The downside is that you will not be able to order on-demand stuff via the Tivo. On the upside the Tivo has built in support for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and youtube. You can also attach an external harddrive to the Tivo to increase the recording capacity. The interface on the Tivo is worlds better than on any SA DVR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: