Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM

27 posts, read 54,537 times

Advertisements

Ahhh! I am SO confused. I am here in Austin and we looked in Circle C and Uplands yesterday. Realtor is taking us to more today but I am completely overwhelmed. You guys are are all great - thank you so much for all the great advice and information about driving different roads, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Good luck and enjoy your day! Ask any questions and we can give ya a 1000 different answers but at least most of us are trying to be helpful!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 AM

64 posts, read 131,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
And USN&WR says it is Westlake, Westwood, Lake Travis, McNeil, Anderson, Bowie, and McCallum. Also note that Bowie is the only AISD HS to be ranked "Recognized" by the state. Poh-tayto, Poh-tahto. At that level, they are all what you and your kid make it. They have the teachers and offerings you need to go anywhere.
I have no idea where you get the fact that Bowie is the only high school "Recognized" by the state in ranking. When you just listed Anderson above it and McCallum below it and both are AISD high school campuses. I can assure you that Anderson, Austin, Bowie, and McCallum (and maybe Akins but I would check on that) are all ranked "Recognized".

Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl1994 View Post
I have no idea where you get the fact that Bowie is the only high school "Recognized" by the state in ranking. When you just listed Anderson above it and McCallum below it and both are AISD high school campuses. I can assure you that Anderson, Austin, Bowie, and McCallum (and maybe Akins but I would check on that) are all ranked "Recognized".
I suggest you actually look at the TEA ratings for those campuses.

For 2010-2011 (the "2011" rankings), only Bowie is rated Recognized. The others in the list above are Academically Acceptable. LASA is rated Exemplary.

Austin Independent School District : Schools

Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 AM

27 posts, read 54,537 times
Default Update and input, please.

Hi everyone,
First off, thank you all SO much. Here is where we are at:
1) Really love Barton Creek West - house came on market, day 1 got in asap but someone clearly beat us to it. we saw it, had agent call b/c we loved it and wanted it, and it was already gone.
2) Looked at one in Polo in Dripping Springs. Loved the home but felt like it may be too isolated for us in the lifestyle we enjoy.

3) Saw a new David Weekly build in Meridian that was interesting. Commute would be good for hubby. I am nervous about schools - Baldwin, Gorzcyki and Bowie. Thoughts? Also they are still doing construction in there and with four children, I am a little worried about that.

Any input, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM

326 posts, read 685,158 times
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Bowie feeder schools. IMO, those are the best in AISD and one of the best in the area. I would have no issues with sending my children there. If your kids are into music, the music programs at Bowie are out of this world!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM

101 posts, read 218,989 times
we have friends at lake pointe and in steiner. both are happy. lake pointe has a great community feel and friendly neighbors. I prefer lake pointe as it feels closer knit. lake travis has good schools and if you want private there is a good montessori in steiner and a good private school in lakeway Abercorn International. eanes has good schools also.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 14,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Tarrytown is an old money neighborhood and is pretty pricey. You won't get much house for your money there, but it is prime location in Austin. It goes to AISD and is zoned to O'Henry MS and Austin HS. Austin HS gets mixed reviews, but I personally believe Anderson HS and Bowie HS are better in AISD.
You can but anything you want in Tarrytown with $600K. Man, no wonder it's getting so pricey in Austin! $600K! Sheesh. The average household income in Austin is $43K/year!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM

46 posts, read 66,704 times
@123MA, I think you are on the right track looking in the Circle C / Meridian area. The commute to SA will be about as good as you get while (1) still being in Austin AND (2) feeding into highly rated schools. (Perhaps you could share what has you worried about Baldwin, Goryzcki, & Bowie ... all are excellent schools. Both of the other elementary schools that serve Circle C - Clayton and Kiker - are also superb and super close to the neighborhoods they serve. You really can't go wrong in this area.)

I also happen to agree with you about Dripping Springs. It is a nice place, is growing, and has good schools -- but it is just too far away from your workplaces. With Barton Creek West, the hills and scenery in that area are seductive, no doubt. But consider that Loop 360 rush hour traffic can be pretty awful, as can 2244. It would not be my top choice if I were in your shoes.

The other idea I saw suggested earlier - Forest Creek in Round Rock - is very ingenious and makes a lot of sense. Funny that two places on complete opposite sides of the Austin metro area would both make sense!

Last edited by cdelite; 06-07-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM

73 posts, read 242,037 times
Totally understand the frustration. Barton Creek West is truly a great neighborhood. Have you thought about the one newly to the market listed at 575K? It looks good too. BTW, do you like Senna Hills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MA View Post
Hi everyone,
First off, thank you all SO much. Here is where we are at:
1) Really love Barton Creek West - house came on market, day 1 got in asap but someone clearly beat us to it. we saw it, had agent call b/c we loved it and wanted it, and it was already gone.

Any input, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin