Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:23 PM

67 posts, read 164,396 times

Advertisements

Hello, like many others, we are strongly considering a move to Austin. We'd be moving from the Denton area. Does Austin get many crazy windstorms with hail, minor tornadoes, and downburst winds? Here I think we've had one almost every year that knocked down a fence or tore shingles off the roof. We're at the bottom tip of "tornado alley" so that explains some of it. Just wondering how similar or different it will be just a few hours away. It would be nice to not have to worry about damaging storms as much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,037,196 times
It's certainly not as bad as Denton. We have a few thunderstorms, but as far as damage it's not as bad by a long shot.

We do have wildfires here (look up Bastrop fires) and Northwest had one too last year. It could be related to the drought we're in.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:30 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,059,230 times
We do get that kind of weather at times but IMO the DFW area gets it a lot worse. In fact North Texas is probably the worst area of the state for that weather.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:21 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,499,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFamily View Post
Hello, like many others, we are strongly considering a move to Austin. We'd be moving from the Denton area. Does Austin get many crazy windstorms with hail, minor tornadoes, and downburst winds? Here I think we've had one almost every year that knocked down a fence or tore shingles off the roof. We're at the bottom tip of "tornado alley" so that explains some of it. Just wondering how similar or different it will be just a few hours away. It would be nice to not have to worry about damaging storms as much!
Yes. We had 2 new roofs in 10 years in Austin due to hail damage

Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 AM

46 posts, read 66,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Yes. We had 2 new roofs in 10 years in Austin due to hail damage
Where in town do you live? I've never had roof damage due to hail in my 21 years here.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,282,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFamily View Post
Hello, like many others, we are strongly considering a move to Austin. We'd be moving from the Denton area. Does Austin get many crazy windstorms with hail, minor tornadoes, and downburst winds?
Quite different climates between the two places, believe it or not. One dominate factor for both places is the moisture coming up from the Gulf. When that warm, moist air hits frontal activity, you get the convection that sets off the thunderstorms and tornadoes you see in Oklahoma and sometimes on into N. Texas. The cooler air is heavier, and slides under the warm moist air, lifting it and causing the instability that makes for storms. That's why your rainiest months are March, April, and May - the fronts still have some force behind them before they weaken as it gets warmer.

BUT, and it is a big but, many of the fronts that set off your storms run out of steam, typically just south of Waco and start sliding off to the east. Far fewer maintain enough power to reach Austin. That is also good news in that we don't get your winter weather - not nearly the days of snow and ice, for the same reason.

Austin is in sort of a triangle - we are too far inland to get e afternoon on-shore flow of thunderstorms you see along the coast and inland for about 100 miles - and too far south for the front triggered convective activity N. Texas gets. That's why we have about seven inches less of annual precip than N. Texas.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:37 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,122,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelite View Post
Where in town do you live? I've never had roof damage due to hail in my 21 years here.
The hail storm in 2009 pretty much tore up N/NW Austin. My house had its roof replaced about 3 years ago from that and my car had to have a lot of bodywork done to remove the dents.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,059,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelite View Post
You've been lucky then, because A LOT of us needed a new roof after the big hail storm in '09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
The hail storm in 2009 pretty much tore up N/NW Austin. My house had its roof replaced about 3 years ago from that and my car had to have a lot of bodywork done to remove the dents.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,037,196 times
We had hail in 09 but our roof survived (NW). Our cars are garaged so they didn't get hail damage. The last time I had a car get hail damage it was back in 2004. It was pretty minor.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,676 times
I had my roof replaced in 2009 from that big hailstorm. I got "stuck" driving down Greenlawn here in RR thru it all trying to get home, and ended up with a few little dings on top of my car - nothing major tho, thankfully. I saw one car driving thru town a day or so later with really bad hail damage - front window cracked, almost the whole car looking as if someone ran around it with a sledgehammer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin