Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,695 times

Advertisements

We are moving down to Austin from Maryland by August, and have 3 school-aged kids that need to be settled asap. So would appreciate all the help we can get in terms of schools.

Our upcoming 9th grader is on the Autism spectrum (Asperger), currently enrolled in a private program specialized in Asperger. He is very talented in mathematics, but also quite deficient in social / emotional developments and has lots of issues handling negativities and frustrations.

Our upcoming 5th grader is neurotypical and can probably do well in any school, but she always tries to stay under the radar and dislikes being put in spotlight. Right now she is in a gifted & talented center in public school system, which works perfectly for her (since she is sufficiently challenged without running the risk of being "#1"). Our youngest is upcoming 2nd grader, and she has a profile similar to the 5th grader.

My office would be a couple miles south of Arboretum. So we are researching Eanes, Round Rock or Leander ISDs, and some also mentioned the magnet programs in Austin ISD. What neighborhoods & public schools would be best, given our 3 kids' profiles? We are also willing to consider private schools. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,393 times
I have a 12 yr old Aspie and we are in Leander ISD and love it. They have a class called SCSS (Social Communication Support Service) that is what all Aspies need. We are a Wiley middle school but all schools have it in place. Dm me if you need or want more info. I was in your spot about 5 yrs ago and don't regret moving to Leander ISD at all since they have this. They are also very good at the NT stuff also and have a program called PACE along with G/T stuff and with PACE if your great at math not so go with langauge arts they will have you study math at the next grade level..good thing for my aspie!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 AM

72 posts, read 211,988 times
Same experience as Neddy...in LISD as well. Older child is in G/T program and younger child is in G/T and PACE and is an Aspie. He gets SCSS from the school...no issues at all. My kids are both elementary aged, but we've been in the district for 3 years - no regrets.

Something to consider would be to contact the district on their assessment/intake progress for Aspie kids. My youngest started school with LISD so we were able to go through their assessment process before he started kinder.

PM me for additional info as well. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 8,695 times
Thank you both. Is SCSS only for social skill training (kind of group counseling or lunch bunch or social groups)? Is there more support for emotional / behavioral struggles? Sorry, I have been leaving voicemails to the special ed person at LISD, but since school is out, I am not getting any call back.

Are there programs / schools in which the special need kids can take some classes in smaller classrooms and some classes in general ed? My 9th grader might need much-smaller class sizes for language arts and social studies (to reduce distraction and frustration, as those are his weakness in academics).

For communities in LISD, one neighborhood I have been looking at is Steiner Ranch. Do you know anything about the schools there? Or is there another neighborhood that might be more appropriate?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM

72 posts, read 211,988 times
SCSS is social skills/coping. My Aspie has some of the issues you mention. LISD handles that through an IEP/ARD process. Fundamentals of that process is it's a comprehensive review of where the kiddo is at (through eval and testing) and what accommodations etc need to be in place to meet his/her educational goals (IEP is the goals, ARD is the review).

My son has sensory integration issues...and has some accommodations in his IEP that handle those issues. He is in the general education population...and having a lot of success. He is allowed to take sensory breaks in the SCSS room if needed (among other things) as part of his IEP.

Schools in Steiner are rated well. I can't comment on the learning environment for an Aspie kiddo.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overimpossible View Post
We are moving down to Austin from Maryland by August, and have 3 school-aged kids that need to be settled asap. So would appreciate all the help we can get in terms of schools.

Our upcoming 9th grader is on the Autism spectrum (Asperger), currently enrolled in a private program specialized in Asperger. He is very talented in mathematics, but also quite deficient in social / emotional developments and has lots of issues handling negativities and frustrations.

Our upcoming 5th grader is neurotypical and can probably do well in any school, but she always tries to stay under the radar and dislikes being put in spotlight. Right now she is in a gifted & talented center in public school system, which works perfectly for her (since she is sufficiently challenged without running the risk of being "#1"). Our youngest is upcoming 2nd grader, and she has a profile similar to the 5th grader.

My office would be a couple miles south of Arboretum. So we are researching Eanes, Round Rock or Leander ISDs, and some also mentioned the magnet programs in Austin ISD. What neighborhoods & public schools would be best, given our 3 kids' profiles? We are also willing to consider private schools. Thanks a lot.
dont know anything about aspergers, but canyon vista (the RR school) and westwood are "nerd" schools. They run heavily asian so are very academically focused. Our elementary (laurel mountain) just cracked 50% asian and the middle I think is around 37%. Sports are important but the schools tend not to be good at sports. However their orchestra and bands are great. She will be very challenged trying to be #1 at canyon vista/westwood. Our neighbor was maybe 15th in his class at westwood and is still going to harvard.

LASA produces the most national merit finalists per capita. Westwood is second (35 finalists).

canyon vista middle school to the arboretum is about 5 miles.

Housing feeding into canyon vista/westwood is pretty reasonable compared to trying to buy in eanes which has what are considered to be the areas premier schools.

The other round rock middle/high schools arent very good so if you do go this route focus on canyon vista/westwood.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The other round rock middle/high schools arent very good so if you do go this route focus on canyon vista/westwood.
Slightly biased/generalized/inaccurate statement, no? There is a significant difference between being as highly rated as Westwood might be (though if I recall correctly, Westwood rated equal to McNeil in the latest state ratings) and being "not very good" as you imply. But it's been argued on here many times in the past.

As for the OP, I cannot add any specific insight to the programs he/she is interested in.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,393 times
The schools out in the Steiner Ranch area are very good. Yes, they do have the ability to do pull outs for certain classes if needed. The girl next door to us is also Aspie with some different issues than us and she gets pulled because she has to much anixety in certain subjects. Vandergrift is a good high school. The Learning Resourse Center is the place where the Aspies and others can go and get help on homework I know there are always teachers in that room to help with all subjects. In Cedar Park you might want to look into Twin Creeks or maybe Red Oaks..heck even Crystal Falls might work. Also the Ranch at Brushy Creek but that area is both RRISD and Leander ISD so check. Avery Ranch also might work for you. Good luck, dm if ya need to

Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 AM

101 posts, read 218,910 times
i would also echo that schools in steiner are good. and if they dont work out there are good private schools both in steiner and nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin