Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM

24 posts, read 91,107 times

Advertisements

If anyone has information on the Leander ISD elementary schools in relation to a special needs child, I'd love to hear your opinion. I have a 6 year old daughter who will be entering into first grade. Her needs are very mild, but I've had a bad experience in the past with a public school so I'm gunshy.

I'd like to hear directly from parents who have dealth with the SpEd program in Leander and how you've been treated.

I know there are a variety of elementary schools in Leander ISD as well, so if anyone has one they'd recommend over another I would also value that information. Opinions on private schools would also be welcomed.

Plus, how is the overcrowding situation there? Some of the schools we looked at in Austin have first grade classrooms of 23, 25, 26 kids with one teacher! I know that is becoming the norm, but it still scares me.

Also, we are looking at Leander as it would be a much shorter commute from my husband. Another possibility would be Georgetown, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about their schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
There's a pretty recent thread that has replies by parents with special ed experience with LISD elementaries. I'll try to find it for you.

As for overcrowding, I've never heard of an LISD lower elementary class with more than the state limit of 22 kids. I've had kids in elementary school in this district continuously for 14 years. My last is now in 2nd grade and he has 18 kids in his class.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Right now we are going into SPED and had the ARD last week and so far so good if a bit slow but I hear that is in every ISD. I think it helped that I already had all my ducks in a row so to speak with Drs letters before I ever contacted the school. MMY 3rd grader is the SPED and his mainstream class has 20 kids right now they pull his for Speech and we take him to private OT. I have heard they are one of the better ISDs around here but for hearing impairment I have heard Round Rock is the best.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 AM

56 posts, read 234,454 times
I have experience with LISD and RRISD. RRISD wins hands down for our 7-year-old son on the autism spectrum. They provided a full-time aid for his kindergarten and 1st grade years. He's doing so well in the 2nd grade that we have significantly reduced his aid time. They don't hesitate to provide his teachers with training for how to deal with autistic kids.

It has been three years since we were in LISD, so it's possible they have caught up in this area by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin