Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
At least we all know how to pronounce hamburger

pink panther - i would like to buy a hamburger - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
My dad served in the Air Force with Dan Junk. I remember the when it opened. We were there on opening day on S. Congress. (Now Frans, his wifes location, she got in the divorce)

God Bless Dan Junk, rest his soul.

Always awesome burgers.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
I guess it was good for your health to move away from a state full of "mispronounced" names, if you were getting that upset....
People mispronounce my German last name all the time...most don't even try to say it, but I could care less. So, what about Salazar from the local austin business "Ellis and Salazar", are you disrespecting him or is that person a disgrace for not pronouncing Salazar "correctly"?
Its had nothing to do with living in Austin. This happens everywhere with every anglo-speaking language people. And I'm not upset about it.... as I've said, its not a big deal how people pronounce my name. Its the attitude that people give you when you're actually pronouncing it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My married last name is a mispelling of a French place name, and it's pronounced at least three different ways that I know of (and the original actual family name was something else entirely!). Somehow, even as a grammar and spelling freak, I have much more important things to get upset about than the fact that, over time, in some places, the name evolved to what it is today - in Texas, which is different than how it's pronounced in Louisiana, which is different than how it's pronounced in Canada.
Some of us like to maintain the origins of our names. I know for sure we hispanic are all about our last names. My last name has about 3 different types of spellings and they all look and are mostly pronounced similarly. So we all try to maintain the correct spelling to differentiate. I've done research on my last name and there's not much info on it or where it comes from. However, my best bet would be Spain named after a mountain but the spelling has changed over centuries when migrants used the name of a mountain to maintain their place of origin. It's a unique last name and I'm very proud of it and I will maintain its current spelling for as long as I live and hopefully my children will to. I'm always correcting people when they misspell it... but ah well, at least my name isn't Junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
no american can argue about how words are spelt and pronounced after the way you butcher our*ENGLISH *language
such as ,a few examples

humour you spell humor
catalogue you spell catalog
neighbour to you is neighbor

you pronounce and spell wrong
aluminium is a-lu-min-ium

not a -lu-min-um

you have spoilt a beautiful language

mostly by sheer laziness

born and bred a BRIT living in usa
Glad to have someone like you around. Now I don't feel so alone!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM

40 posts, read 53,354 times
Quote:
At least we all know how to pronounce hamburger
Like we do Schlumberger.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM

431 posts, read 474,653 times
Quote:
at least we all know how to pronounce hamburger
lol

Old 07-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Confirmed today, Dan's burgers = awesome.

Med cheeseburger w/jalapenos and a side of properly cooked fries.

Around $5 bux. Burp.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Confirmed today, Dan's burgers = awesome.

Med cheeseburger w/jalapenos and a side of properly cooked fries.

Around $5 bux. Burp.
Did this thread inspire you to go there? I wish I could fly back just to get me a burger there. Seriously! I've thought about doing something silly like that! haha

Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleavelle View Post
Someone recommended Dans for great, greasy burgers. I went there today (Manachaka St.) and LOVED it! I highly recommend it.
Other Austin originals to try are Top Notch on Burnet Rd and Dirty Martin's on Guadalupe. I've never thought of Top Notch hamburgers as greasy, though. They're cooked over an open flame (at least I think they still are). I've always ordered the number 1, my husband likes the Longhorn Special. The decor has changed little to not at all in the past 40 plus years ( it used to be called Burkhardt's - not sure of the spelling on that). For a greasy burger fried on a griddle, try Dirty Martin's. DM has been around for 80 plus years. They make their own onion rings. (very greasy but good). Fries and onion rings are served in a basket, with more than enough to share. They have a patio and a back room, but I'm partial to the booths in the front room, or at the counter. You can watch the cooks at work there. It's a lively place because of that, with great classic rock always playing.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
We were at the Nature and Science Center today so I guess we must not have been too far from at least Fran's. Maybe next time!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Did this thread inspire you to go there? I wish I could fly back just to get me a burger there. Seriously! I've thought about doing something silly like that! haha
Yep. It's not the first time a thread has inspired me to go eat somewhere. Plus Dan's isn't too far out of the way for me.

Please don't fly all the way over for a burger based on a testimonial here, though! I could not live with myself. Come for all the other stuff. Although I have heard people do some crazy things when they are needing to lock in a frequent flier tier ... usually involved taking the most indirect route possible to someplace they want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin