Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:49 PM
CLQ CLQ started this thread

207 posts, read 1,086,363 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling home builders will drop prices or offer increased incentives to meet 2007 year-end numbers. We are trying to time our home purchase accordingly. Does anyone agree? Any thoughts or tips on how to get the best deal possible? Also, is it easy to negotiate additional add-ons or reducing the land premiums. I have no experience in buying a new home whatsoever and will be purchasing without a buying agent. I would appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
I would generally agree that you can negotiate a more favorable deal. If you can wait until Nov, things should only get better from a buyer's perspective. Also, if you can hit them up near/just after Thanksgiving, when they know there will basically be a dead period until January, you might wrangle the best deal possible.

Being your first home purchase, I think I'd recommend a buyers agent. It's not going to cost you anything directly, but I guess it could possibly impact the deal you could get (only a little). It might be worth it, IMO. Just be upfront with the agent and tell them you are looking to make a lowball offer, and you don't want concessions in the form of "seller-pays-closing costs" (how the realtor keeps his/her commission high by maintaining the higher sales price), you want to negotiate the rock-bottom sales price. If they know that going in, it's fine. They'll still get paid.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 AM

290 posts, read 1,181,562 times
Not answering your question directly, but my wife and I built our first home in Austin a little over 7 years ago. We had never built or purchased a home before. Looking back, we made a bad decision. Why? because we had no idea what to ask for. From counter tops, to tile/grout selection, to fixtures and even house layout designs.. we guessed our way through it and now we wish we made some better "educated" decisions. For example, we didn't pay attention to the size of the pantry, or the garage, or the layout of the stairs or the color of the grout (it is hell keeping grout clean).

My recommendation for a first time home buyer is to buy a used/pre-owned house. At least it gives you the chance to see what the house is like before buying.

Maybe I should write a book.. LOL

Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,825 times
Homebuilders are in the tank right now. In fact they appear to be reacting very slow to offering big incentives considering the condition they are in right now.

If I was to purchase a new home in todays market I would find existing homes that are for sale in that subdivision and leverage the price to whatever model I was looking at. In most cases people have added on a few upgrades to there home, so that needs to be documented to maximize your potential to get the best deal from the homebuilder. In most cases the existing home will also be on a premium lot being in the first phases, so take that into consideration too when talking with home builder.

I can't think of a better time to build a new home, the new homebuilders are struggling & interest rates are at historic lows.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM

34 posts, read 164,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
Not answering your question directly, but my wife and I built our first home in Austin a little over 7 years ago. We had never built or purchased a home before. Looking back, we made a bad decision. Why? because we had no idea what to ask for. From counter tops, to tile/grout selection, to fixtures and even house layout designs.. we guessed our way through it and now we wish we made some better "educated" decisions. For example, we didn't pay attention to the size of the pantry, or the garage, or the layout of the stairs or the color of the grout (it is hell keeping grout clean).

My recommendation for a first time home buyer is to buy a used/pre-owned house. At least it gives you the chance to see what the house is like before buying.

Maybe I should write a book.. LOL
I totally agree and would take it one step further. After owning a pre-built for my first, and building my own for my second, I would never build again UNLESS I could afford a high end custom home.

I am into year five of my home and am now beginning to see the poor quality workmanship and poor quality materials used. I am of the opinion that the vast majority of new homes are put together quickly and corners are cut in many areas with the end goal being mass production. In the end, the consumer loses out and the builder lines his pockets. Unless you can afford a truly high end home OR you are strong in the construction area and know what to look for, I would stay away from a new home.

My wife and I are considering relocating to Austin from Seattle and will only consider a home built at least 10 years ago.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 AM

149 posts, read 498,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLQ View Post
I have a feeling home builders will drop prices or offer increased incentives.
It's happening already. I've been told about Behrens Ranch (Round Rock) and east part of Cedar Park (east of 183, north of Brushy Creek Rd, forgot the name of the subdivision)

Old 10-01-2007, 03:50 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLQ View Post
I have a feeling home builders will drop prices or offer increased incentives to meet 2007 year-end numbers. We are trying to time our home purchase accordingly. Does anyone agree? Any thoughts or tips on how to get the best deal possible? Also, is it easy to negotiate additional add-ons or reducing the land premiums. I have no experience in buying a new home whatsoever and will be purchasing without a buying agent. I would appreciate any advice.
They already are. Don't expect the downturn to last too long. It won't be like the rest of the country. Plus, it's the end of the year so they are willing to make deals. We got 15K in free upgrades and 4.5% off the price of the home. I don't expect these deals to be around next year, maybe you can get a good deal on a spec home. Everyone reads one article and assumes home prices will be dropping. Austin is still up in prices by 6%.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,467,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontonian View Post
It's happening already. I've been told about Behrens Ranch (Round Rock) and east part of Cedar Park (east of 183, north of Brushy Creek Rd, forgot the name of the subdivision)
Forest Oaks?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM

118 posts, read 296,252 times
Do they usually have sales staff or agents on site, or some kind of open houses on the weekends. We are flying in on Saturday and want to spend an extended weekend checking out the neighborhoods around the RR area. Any recommendations are welcomed!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:03 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,659 times
Loans are getting harder to qualify for also. Keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin