Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM

18 posts, read 38,120 times

Advertisements

Hey!

Did you notice that I did NOT criticize your previous post stating how happy you were about Austin's lack of the social safety net?

That post was a coherent statement of your position.

You should have stopped there and let that position stand for itself.

That being said, correct spelling and grammar in this era of spell-check are a very basic prerequisite to an applicant's ability to be hired.

Not spell-checking a simple post is sort of similar to showing up at an interview drunk or unshaven with dirty clothes.

By way of example, one of the transitional services that should be given to these people is help with creating a marketable resume that goes along with a presentable personal appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Really? Really?

They criticized your POINT, not the semantics, the message or the spelling. Since you quite obviously did not have a point, you've resorted to calling out spelling errors? Go troll another board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesupportlee View Post
Hey. Did you notice that I did NOT criticize your previous post stating how happy you were about Austin's lack of the social safety net?

That post was a coherent statement of your position.

You should have stopped there and let that position stand for itself.
That position hasn't changed, and the two are not related. I, and BevoLJ, stated our stance on the non-issue you raised. Your only response was to shift to spelling errors - the ultimate in weak flame warfare.

Since they're two different issues, I did stop and let the first response stand on its own - just picked up the second.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM

Well, let me just say this. BevoLJ should be very happy he has some source of income right now.

The Austin job market is not kind to those who cannot express themselves coherently on a resume or at an interview.

And, if he were in a situation of need, you would be perfectly happy for him to be on the street, begging, in August, during 110-degree weather.

How very kind and humane of you. You certainly have earned your stripes as a decent human being [/sarcasm].

Quote:
That position hasn't changed, and the two are not related. I, and BevoLJ, stated our stance on the non-issue you raised. Your only response was to shift to spelling errors - the ultimate in weak flame warfare.

Since they're two different issues, I did stop and let the first response stand on its own - just picked up the second.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
That being said, correct spelling and grammar in this era of spell-check are a very basic prerequisite to an applicant's ability to be hired.

Not spell-checking a simple post is sort of similar to showing up at an interview drunk or unshaven with dirty clothes.

By way of example, one of the transitional services that should be given to these people is help with creating a marketable resume that goes along with a presentable personal appearance.
I'll respond now to the part you added by editing your earlier post:

Yes, basic spelling and grammar are important. For the last 10 years, I've hired about 15-20 people per year (so let's call it 175 total). Due to this, I've probably reviewed somewhere around 2,000 resumes. I keep a "binder of shame" with those that I find to be truly blessed with incompetence - this binder is about 3" thick right now.

That said, out of the 2,000 potential applicants I've reviewed, not a single one was via an online message board.

Spelling is important when it's important. Otherwise, it's just letters.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Well, let me just say this. BevoLJ should be very happy he has some source of income right now.
Yes - willing to bet she could win a game of "big check take little check" with you.

Quote:
The Austin job market is not kind to those who cannot express themselves coherently on a resume or at an interview.
Unless you're a programmer and English is your fourth or fifth language after your native tongue, ASCII, C++, SQL, etc. (not a tech person, so sub in the appropriate programming languages)

Quote:
And, if he were in a situation of need, you would be perfectly happy for him to be on the street, begging, in August, during 110-degree weather.
Their choice, not mine. This state rewards those that hustle, and protects their ability to do so.

Quote:
How very kind and humane of you. You certainly have earned your stripes as a decent human being [/sarcasm].
Oooooh, "[/sarcasm]". Awesome.

I'll end this with something a dog trainer told me about 20 years ago, and I've used it many, many times since then.

You get the behavior you reinforce.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

I understood the part of your last post reference dog training quite well.

I never gave to beggars in Austin. I did NOT want to reinforce them.

I believed that the churches, community and (proportionately) government should help.

In honesty, I saw very little evidence of community coming together to address the problem. I mean joint action between private, faith-based and public sectors.

However, I'm not so sure I understand your point reference "big check take little check."

Are you trying to play the 1% vs. 99% game? If you are in the 1% elite, you will always have the majority against you.

Quote:

You get the behavior you reinforce.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I'm digressing here... But what's so wrong about having safety nets and social services. Having those things makes me grateful to live in America.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 PM

Safety nets, in my opinion, make people soft, and - as currently implemented - reinforce bad behavior, or simply a lack of behavior.

I've been dead-broke, homeless, and pulled myself up with nothing else but my wits and effort. The dead-broke and homeless was created by my own bad decisions, and I owned that, woke up and moved forward.

Private and faith-based handouts? Fine - have at it. Public money? No thank you. Government = government waste.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM

OK!! Show us your "Bootstraps" !!

Tell us more about your Horatio Alger-style experience!

How did you wind up "homeless?"

Who helped you out of the situation or 'bind' that you were in at the time? It's hard to believe that you came out of such a big mess all by yourself.

Probably....someone, even if it was just an individual or an old friend or former pal....came by, saw your situation and told you that they cared....and pointed you toward a church or employment group.

In what direction or industry did you stride to move forward?

In particular, how did you polish your resume-building and interviewing skills to the perfection needed to find a job that earns what it takes to pay for decent housing in Austin? Did you have previous supervisory experience?

Please tell us more!

Thanks in advance!

Maybe someone's reading this at a shelter or employment center computer and you might be able to help them....so long as you don't ATTACK them....

Quote:
Safety nets, in my opinion, make people soft, and - as currently implemented - reinforce bad behavior, or simply a lack of behavior.

I've been dead-broke, homeless, and pulled myself up with nothing else but my wits and effort. The dead-broke and homeless was created by my own bad decisions, and I owned that, woke up and moved forward.

Private and faith-based handouts? Fine - have at it. Public money? No thank you. Government = government waste.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:

I respect and champion hard work. At the same time, I've had personal experience dealing with people who reside in countries that have no safety nets or social services at all. I wont go into detail, but it breaks the heart to see the vulnerable of our population , elderly and children, being left to die because they make little or no money. That is how life is in many developing nations. Survival of the fittest. What makes the USA so great and a first rate nation is that it helps truly needy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin