Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 AM

522 posts, read 657,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As a matter of fact, it's predictable this new development will increase the amount of auto traffic because it is displacing businesses that might typically have a couple of customers each and increasing the capacity of the Alamo cinema by several hundred seats.
But it also includes apartments, which is an important part of any walkable, dense urban space.

Quote:
Since each of the Alamo theaters draws patrons from a wide enough area that most of them drive... just look at the parking lot at any of them, it's obvious... on that factor alone I'd say this is more "inward sprawl" than anything.
No such thing, of course. But perhaps you're right about increased traffic. Remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
[quote=jb9152;26809739]But it also includes apartments, which is an important part of any walkable, dense urban space. [quote]

Sure, and those folks are going to get up in the morning, have their coffee and toast, and drive to work, like everybody else. It's a simple equation... more people = more traffic.

Quote:
No such thing, of course.
What, "inward sprawl"? I think it's exactly the right description, and it helps offset the goofy notion that "infill" is some magic panacea for a city's woes. I'd like to see more Outfill... developing "density islands." that are far enough away from the city core to actually reduce traffic flow to and from it.

Quote:
But perhaps you're right about increased traffic. Remains to be seen.
It can be no other. More people = more traffic.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You have this exactly wrong. Having businesses in close proximity to where people live produces opportunities to walk, increases likelihood of people not needing a car or a second car, and shortens car trips when needed. Infill is the solution, sprawl is what causes bad traffic.

Besides which, I'd rather create an urban scape where we have happy people, not happy cars. For too many decades we've listened to traffic engineers as they've destroyed our cities piece by piece in an effort to make traffic flow. And it's futile, you'll never solve traffic problems by building bigger roads, but the more infill like this we have the less dependent we become on cars.
You can't just plop a large development in the middle of a suburban area and expect it to not have a massive impact on traffic. I predict that over the next few years, the area around the South Lamar Plaza is going to cause major traffic headaches on South Lamar Blvd. All those people paying $2,500/month in rent are not going to be without a car. Look at all the people living Downtown - most of them have cars, too. Why? Because Austin's public transportation system is horrible.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Ok, you don't like the architecture...I guess a strip mall which is 75% parking lot between the shops and the street is better...
Now you are being a bit silly - they didn't say the strip mall was better, just that the new architecture didn't do anything for them, and I kind of have to agree. OTOH, once it gets built, maybe it will look a better than the mock-up.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
[quote=OpenD;26810017][quote=jb9152;26809739]But it also includes apartments, which is an important part of any walkable, dense urban space.
Quote:

Sure, and those folks are going to get up in the morning, have their coffee and toast, and drive to work, like everybody else. It's a simple equation... more people = more traffic.

What, "inward sprawl"? I think it's exactly the right description, and it helps offset the goofy notion that "infill" is some magic panacea for a city's woes. I'd like to see more Outfill... developing "density islands." that are far enough away from the city core to actually reduce traffic flow to and from it.

It can be no other. More people = more traffic.
All of this. "Inward sprawl", much as some might hate to admit it, is a very good description of it.

The businesses that are already in that center are very walkable for the neighborhoods that are right there. (You did realize that there are neighborhoods of the dreaded single family homes as well as apartments right behind that shopping center, right?)

And "density islands" is a great solution. There's no law of nature that says that all density has to be in one central location and that that's God's Plan for the Universe. If there are many neighborhoods with employment and businesses and amenities and a variety of kinds of housing right there so that nobody has to walk more than, say, 15 or 20 minutes or drive more than 5 or 10 minutes to get to what they need to get to and they don't have to drive to downtown for amenities that they need or for work, that goes quite a ways towards solving the traffic problems, as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Sounds nice, but I don't see how replacing one set of businesses with another set of businesses accomplishes any of that. As a matter of fact, it's predictable this new development will increase the amount of auto traffic because it is displacing businesses that might typically have a couple of customers each and increasing the capacity of the Alamo cinema by several hundred seats. Since each of the Alamo theaters draws patrons from a wide enough area that most of them drive... just look at the parking lot at any of them, it's obvious... on that factor alone I'd say this is more "inward sprawl" than anything.
Replacing single use with mixed use is conducive to exactly what I'm talking about. And there is nothing pedestrian friendly about a strip mall. Strip malls are, by design, car friendly. They purposefully are created to make sure are cars are really happy. But strip malls are very hostile towards pedestrians.

Also, there is no such thing as "inward sprawl". Sprawl, by definition is outward. You opponents of urban mixed use don't get to co-opt a term and turn it into something else.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
I'm curious about how bad the traffic on South Lamar is going to get after all the additional apartments and condos planned are added. Plus when you add the Trader Joes & additional shopping at Seaholm, it is bound to create more of a mess between Barton Springs and Sixth along Lamar especially.
Perfect opportunity for the new Metrorapid along the S Lamar corridor.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Replacing single use with mixed use is conducive to exactly what I'm talking about. And there is nothing pedestrian friendly about a strip mall. Strip malls are, by design, car friendly. They purposefully are created to make sure are cars are really happy. But strip malls are very hostile towards pedestrians.

Also, there is no such thing as "inward sprawl". Sprawl, by definition is outward. You opponents of urban mixed use don't get to co-opt a term and turn it into something else.
Dang it! I actually agree with a couple of your posts and you go and say something like this. "Inward" sprawl toward what and from where and (outward) sprawl(not a trademarked term, I don't think) are darned descriptive. Each sprawl 'center point' can result in 'sprawl' in many directions...some inward toward this mystical perfect urban core point, others away from said center of the universe.

If Far West suddenly mowed down every tree between 'it' and the city center and developed every square inch TOWARD town, would you not agree that represents some sort of 'inward sprawl'. Sure, the 'sprawl' is outward from the original 'center' of ITS origin, but it would be 'sprawling' toward the larger center of the city, thus an 'inward' sprawl.

Heck, we've got people using 'words' like prolly, irregardless, supposeably, 'center around you', "That's not too big OF A problem", 'growing' a business, etc, etc. At least "inward sprawl" offers an image that most folks can understand.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Dang it! I actually agree with a couple of your posts and you go and say something like this. "Inward" sprawl toward what and from where and (outward) sprawl(not a trademarked term, I don't think) are darned descriptive. Each sprawl 'center point' can result in 'sprawl' in many directions...some inward toward this mystical perfect urban core point, others away from said center of the universe.

If Far West suddenly mowed down every tree between 'it' and the city center and developed every square inch TOWARD town, would you not agree that represents some sort of 'inward sprawl'. Sure, the 'sprawl' is outward from the original 'center' of ITS origin, but it would be 'sprawling' toward the larger center of the city, thus an 'inward' sprawl.

Heck, we've got people using 'words' like prolly, irregardless, supposeably, 'center around you', "That's not too big OF A problem", 'growing' a business, etc, etc. At least "inward sprawl" offers an image that most folks can understand.
No. Words have meanings. Infill and densification is not sprawl, it is precisely the opposite of sprawl.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Komeht, I know that you would LOVE for that to be the case so that you can use those words to MAKE your case for piling people on top of each other, but it's not. Inward sprawl is a perfectly acceptable and understandable term for what's being advocated, just maybe not in your world because you'd have to accept that maybe your idea isn't a perfect solution for a lot of people and creates sprawl of its own kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin