Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM

786 posts, read 2,763,032 times

Advertisements

I have a bunch of moving boxes that I need to get rid of. I would rather they go to some organization who can redistribute them to people that need them. I was thinking of putting an ad on Craiglist but I figure I will just get someone who will pick them up and then resell them for profit.

I have a bunch of 4 and 5 cubic foot boxes, a number of wardrobe boxes and some picture/mirror boxes. Probably 30 - 40 boxes all together. These are professional moving boxes.

Anyone know where I can find a good home for these? If not, I will just cart them off to a recycling depot somewhere. I need to start getting the junk out of the garage.

I'm in Dripping Springs. Having them pick up would be preferable, but I could also drop them off.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
I would imagine this is legit...they have been posting since we moved here in June... Looks like you can earmark the money for the Dell Children's Med Ctr...
We Buy Back Used-Boxes! (http://austin.craigslist.org/wan/1007271702.html - broken link)

Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I would imagine this is legit...they have been posting since we moved here in June... Looks like you can earmark the money for the Dell Children's Med Ctr...
We Buy Back Used-Boxes! (http://austin.craigslist.org/wan/1007271702.html - broken link)
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Anyone else??

Old 01-25-2009, 05:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,126,598 times
If that doesn't work, I placed an ad on craigslist and the boxes disappeared pretty quick. Kinda made me feel good as I got to hear the sob stories from people who really needed them in bad situations.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:17 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,188,130 times
Also there's a site called Freecycle that I've used...

Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 PM

I checked the link provided by 10scoachrick and it is exactly where I don't want the boxes going to. They buy pristine used boxes for pennies and then resell them for $2 - $6. While they are probably selling them for a fraction of new boxes, they are still in it for profit.

I'd love the boxes to go to someone with a hard luck story.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
I checked the link provided by 10scoachrick and it is exactly where I don't want the boxes going to. They buy pristine used boxes for pennies and then resell them for $2 - $6. While they are probably selling them for a fraction of new boxes, they are still in it for profit.

I'd love the boxes to go to someone with a hard luck story.
I'm really sorry to hear that! I thought the Children's Med Ctr connection would benefit the kids but I can see how they might donate 'your' money(if you so indicated) to the center and THEN sell for a profit. I hadn't considered that when I saw the ads. Good catch! BTW, we ended up having a crating and shipping company pick up our boxes since they were not concerned with condition...also took used packing materials.

I hope you can sift through the 'stuff' out there and help someone per your wishes. Good luck with the garage!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:14 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
AustinFreecycle : Austin Freecycle Network (AFN)

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,151 times
While we respect the posts of this forum, we hope we can provide an alternative point of view to our offering at EcoBox than was previously described in an earlier post. We buy used moving boxes in the Austin and surrounding areas. The boxes don't have to be in perfect condition (writing, tape, creases are very acceptable). We are a for profit organization therefore, we do buy back the boxes less than what we sell them for (typically 20%). We are the only company to offer to pickup the boxes at your home and pay for them. Adding up the costs of fuel, drivers time, wear and tear on a truck, we think we offer a great value.

Instead of being paid, some customers elect to donate their proceeds to the Dell Children's Medical Center in which case we will match their donation Dollar for Dollar. Last year we raised over $8000, this year we plan to donate almost $10,000 to the Hospital.

Our main goal is to make sure boxes are used as many times as possible before going to the landfill. Whether you donate your boxes to a friend who is moving or sell your boxes back to a company like us, we're glad either way, as long as the boxes stay out of the landfill and minimize our use of our natural resources.

Boxfully,

Dale Malone
www.EcoBox.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin