Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times

Advertisements

Hello, we will be relocating from the River Hills/Cuernavaca area into the city and were wondering what the situation for dogs is. More particularly to the Windsor Hills (i-35/Rundberg) or Lamplight Village (MoPac/Parmer) area in north Austin. We have two beautiful dogs in our family, including a white husky. I wouldn't be worried, but our husky is a bit of an escape artist, and we have relied on calls from good samaritans in the past. I have never lived in the city before. What could a person reasonably expect to happen to an adventuring dog? Please and thank you; this will affect our moving decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
My biggest concern in those areas would be the dog being struck by a car, as some of the arterial roads there are pretty heavily trafficked at 60MPH+ speed limits.

Get them chipped and tagged, and you'll find the same good samaritans.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Hello, we will be relocating from the River Hills/Cuernavaca area into the city and were wondering what the situation for dogs is. More particularly to the Windsor Hills (i-35/Rundberg) or Lamplight Village (MoPac/Parmer) area in north Austin. We have two beautiful dogs in our family, including a white husky. I wouldn't be worried, but our husky is a bit of an escape artist, and we have relied on calls from good samaritans in the past. I have never lived in the city before. What could a person reasonably expect to happen to an adventuring dog? Please and thank you; this will affect our moving decision.
It is cruel to allow your dogs to wonder outside on city streets. If you can't keep your dogs confined to the yard and home you should stay in the country.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
What could a person reasonably expect to happen to an adventuring dog? Please and thank you; this will affect our moving decision.

Animal Control.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
A couple of things to know about owning a dog in Austin that might be different from wherever you're from:

1) Dogs cannot be tethered or chained outdoors. No ziplines allowed. Another way of saying it is that if a tether has a dog on one end, it must have a person on the other end.

2) Owners are legally responsible for ensuring their dogs are properly secured on their property and can't get loose. If the dog escapes, the dog owner is liable and can be charged.

Absolutely make sure your dog is chipped and tagged and that all information is up to date.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM

9 posts, read 18,001 times
As another husky owner and soon-to-be Austinite, I'm learning a lot from this thread! Wishing you the best--

Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 18,001 times
I mentioned this thread to my husband and he wondered about tethering a dog in front of a store (while the owner is inside briefly, of course). This is quite common in our urban neighborhood near Boston and many businesses place water bowls for dogs outside the entrance. Is this actually illegal in Austin?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,367 times
Technically, yes, you are only allowed to tether your dog and leave "during a lawful animal event, veterinary treatment, grooming, training, or law enforcement activity." Although I don't know if anyone actually gets cited for a quick hop into a store like that.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
I wouldn't worry about it for that kind of thing, if it is indeed brief, but people do get ticketed for staking their dog out in the yard, and they do get cited if their dog escapes and causes any problems.

If anything, I would say that Austin is more dog friendly than many places, with a lot of restaurants allowing dogs on outside patio areas, and several parks having leash-free areas, but the flip side is that they have higher expectations of owners being in control of their dogs... on leash in public, securely enclosed at home, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: