Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,166 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I'm seeking the impossible but want to be as close as possible to DT area for $200k or so.. less if possible. I'm single and don't need much space...1000-1200sf would be fine (close meaning within 5-6 miles. I have a nephew on Shoal Creek Blvd off 45th I'd also like to be close to.
A realtor sent me a home on Ravendale Ln in 78723 zip 3x2 1250sf for $174K. I'm coming from out of State so dk neighborhoods but know it's always about neighborhoods & general area of home...some sections in Austin are "hotter" and on upswing others not (I'm sure some areas are still reasonable but 3-4 yrs from now will likely be up in value). Looking for something I'd like & be comfortable living in but would also make for good rental should I find out Austin's not for me

What zip codes, neighborhoods might I loo at that might suit my needs. Any advise or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Also, I was looking on last trip and found a program or site that I could put in address of home and it would give number of police activities within 250-500-1000 yards (I think from the address) does anyone know what this was called or how I find it again? It was very useful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
The APD crime viewer is an excellent tool that I used for home shopping:

City of Austin - GIS Disclaimer

For less than 200k 78702 and 78723 could work. Definitely for a condo and possibly for a house in decent condition. Other central areas you will be limited to condos for under 200k, except in rare cases.....unless you are looking in 78745, parts of which are less than 5 miles from downtown.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I like Trulia Crime Heat Map because it color codes the high crime areas so you can get a feel for where those areas are on the map. Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data Keep in mind that most of what you are seeing is property crime, Austin is extremely low in violent crime.

Lots of Austin crime information here: //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...me-austin.html

Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Default your post

Thank you...that was the crime app I was looking for....

David

Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidm46 View Post
Perhaps I'm seeking the impossible but want to be as close as possible to DT area for $200k or so.. less if possible. I'm single and don't need much space...1000-1200sf would be fine (close meaning within 5-6 miles. I have a nephew on Shoal Creek Blvd off 45th I'd also like to be close to.
To find that in a "safe" area you are going to have to look further out. You have a better chance of finding that in the Oak Hill area, which is still pretty close to Downtown. That is about 7.5 miles.

Austin, TX 78701 to East Oak Hill, Austin, TX - Google Maps

There are some smaller 1980's houses, 1200-1300 SF in Westcreek Village appraised at around $180,000. Easy access on Mopac to downtown.

Looking at North Austin you have to go a lot further north before you can find anything like that.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
I think any home search that starts with digesting crime maps is off on a goose chase from the start. I believe this because, statistically, you don't become "safer" by avoiding the most unsafe parts of town. And, in making judgments about some areas because of what you find represented in crime stats, you might be ruling out entire areas based on false assumptions caused by a few "hot spots" that fall into that area's reporting grid, but which you can easily avoid.

Austin is, by every measure, a very safe city. It's worst areas are creampuff compared to larger metros.

Instead, focus on things that matter to you, which for most people start with price, location, schools and the home itself. Then, once you find areas you like, drive through and see what you think. Then, at some point way down the sorting chain, you might check "crime stats". BUT, if you follow your other criteria first, you'll almost certainly end up liking an area that doesn't suffer the level of crime you're worried about.

I hope that makes sense.

Woops, forgot to say, check 78745, 78749 for decent homes under $200K that are close to downtown.

Steve

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM

I mis communicated, I'm not looking at crime first. It's just one aspect but I know in anycity there are certain areas or neighborhood to stay away from other neighborhoods are fine but 4 or 5 blocks away not so good. I guess I'm lookin for an area that is on just just the beginning cusp of gentrification...where I can stilll get in in my price range but in a year probably couldn't...I found a neighborhood yesterday not far from Boggy Creek (Ithink) that was older homes but most all were well kept and got talking to a couple who lived there who told me it's beginning to change it's pre-gendrify but will happen. I believe them....places like that

Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Try the Highland neighborhood, just north of Highland Mall, boundaries here. Home values have been rising and will continue to go up as the community college redevelops Highland Mall. You can still get in at $200K (at least on most blocks) but are unlikely to do so in another year.
Highland Neighborhood Association - Austin, TX

Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
I second Highland Mall. Also near is the area just north of Mueller (east 51st Street) that is on the cusp too. I also like the Westgate area down south.

Not sure if it is like this in most cities, but in Austin slightly older condos will get you appreciably further in for the same price*.

*HOA fees can ruin the equation however

Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Try the Highland neighborhood, just north of Highland Mall, boundaries here. Home values have been rising and will continue to go up as the community college redevelops Highland Mall. You can still get in at $200K (at least on most blocks) but are unlikely to do so in another year.
Highland Neighborhood Association - Austin, TX
This is interesting, c-a. Can you think of another area that had this sort of 'transformation'? Seems like the redevelopment of a mall is a bit of a one-off situation. We're still new enough not to know much of Austin's real estate history. Looks like a lot of the homes were built ca 1960...out in the 'boonies' in those days, I reckon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin