Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 882 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 and just graduated with a degree in web design and development. The current city I live in does not have much of a market for this field. So although I've never been to Austin I have heard good things and was considering a move there. Keep in mind I have a 2yr old. How is the job market, in general and in media/ development/ computer systems field? I'm also interested in quality of child care and schools, family friendy neighborhoods and schools,family friendly activities and the dating scene. Details on weather, traffic/ commute, livability and cost of living area appreciated.I will be moving with about $10k in savings,I have a car(gas prices?). Also I want more info on Allendale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
A mod posted this in the first thread in this forum:

To newcomers, we welcome you, one and all!

I have an important request that will increase helpful and personalized responses to your queries.

PLEASE read and consider the questions in this post: Questions you should answer so we can better help you research austin relocation before you craft your first post.

Otherwise, a whole bunch of folks are going to ask you to do some research and post again. Take with a small grain of salt all the advice you'll get regarding moving to a city you've never visited...with a small child...without a job...with only ten grand...and asking about Allendale. It can be a tough crowd.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
Might be time for one of these //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...o-looking.html for the Austin forum.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Might be time for one of these //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...o-looking.html for the Austin forum.
You're probably right; but we'll be Texas-friendly about it.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM

440 posts, read 714,357 times
Daycare costs are going to eat you alive, as will rent.

Give us your average costs for these two items, and forget about Allandale because if you have to ask, you can't afford it. You *might* be able to rent a room in a house, but your potential roommates will be limited unless you find another single parent. Your situation is tough here.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM

163 posts, read 408,601 times
I could never live in San Diego. It's too cold there!

But on-topic... If you just graduated, find a job and move where you can work and afford to live.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
For childcare, you could find a registered home as an option or for a preschool/daycare you might apply for CCMS. It is a government program that pays for daycare, but there are rules attached. Nearly every neighborhood in Austin and surrounding areas is child and family friendly and there is a lot for kids to do.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:29 PM

251 posts, read 398,272 times
My advice to you is to get in the door somewhere doing any type of work you can find, as long as the place provides an opportunity for you to move into a developer/designer role later on. This means you'll need to find a cheap place to live until your pay increases.

A good number of opportunities for you will be found on the north side of town. So look for an apartment somewhere in Pflugerville/Wells Branch area. Keep that savings untouched no matter what and use it only for emergencies. That savings is your key to staying out of debt, so if you use any of it, make it your goal to replenish it as fast as you can.

After you get to know some people at your new admin/data entry/etc. job at an area tech company, it'll be 100 times easier to land a web development position there from your position on the inside.

Because you require child care maybe you could find another single parent as a room mate and watch each other's kids. Just make sure you do a background check and check references. Get your name on a lease first and bring them in, not the other way around, if possible.

Finally, rather than moving here you may want to consider staying where you are until you build up substantially more savings. I'm guessing the cost of living is much less there. Also, in web development you do not have to live in the same city as your employer anymore. Patience is your best friend.
Best of luck.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...fo-thread.html

Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You're probably right; but we'll be Texas-friendly about it.
Wow, you two, that thing was freakin' hilarious. My faves were the "I come from where we know bagels/Italian food/take your pick and the ones here SUCK", or "I'm educated and open minded. Where should I live so that I never chance having a conversation with anyone who doesn't think like me?"

We should start one like that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin