Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,864 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Austin this year with our twins, who are currently 3 1/2 years old. We originally wanted to be in Westlake for the proximity to Austin and the Eanes school district. We bought a plot of land in Westlake in 2011 when this was a far out plan but since the timing of our move got accelerated we now feel like we should buy a house first rather than manage construction remotely, and re-evaluate once we are living in the area. Our budget is $1-2mm, give or take. I grew up on the beach in NC where we did not even have roads (it was so rural) and for the past 12 years have lived in Manhattan. So I can do urban and rural but have never experienced suburbia and it scares me...yet I feel like it's probably the right thing for my kids at this stage. I want us to have an active lifestyle, be near a good school and be able to make some friends nearby. Of the "master planned" communities (something I never thought I would consider), I think I like Spanish Oaks the best. I like the layout of the neighborhood and the shopping nearby, plus the amenities and potential to make friends in a new community where most people are also new. I'm nervous that it's too far out being on the other side of 71, both from the sense of getting into downtown, and I suppose also from an investment perspective. At least one of my husband or I will be commuting to Austin. But with all the growth in the area maybe it's not considered far out anymore? We are looking for a 4BR home, 4000-5000 ft, on at least a half acre, and preferably 1+ acre with an open view. Non-starters would be huge power lines in the backyard (like in some parts of Westlake) and Tuscan McMansions that look very 2006. We like the look of the modern versions of Texas hill country homes and would be willing to renovate an older home that has good bones. Curious to hear from locals if they would recommend Spanish Oaks or if we should up our budget a bit to get something in Westlake or Rollingwood in a more established neighborhood closer in to the city? Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Spanish Oaks, from the East end exit/entrance, is right down the street from Southwest Parkway which would take you to Mopac which takes you straight down town. 15 minutes, tops. That's not "far" out. Now, if you're further to the West exit/entrance, that's getting a little further out and more like 20-25 minutes because now you've got several lights and traffic to get past.

I live a little further past the West exit/entrance, in Falconhead West, and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to downtown on most days, but I don't go at peak hours. Avoiding Bee Caves Rd and going down Southwest Parkway is an easy commute from Spanish Oaks.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 14,864 times
Thank you. I agree, if that's the real travel time that is completely reasonable. Heck, it takes my husband longer now to get from Tribeca to Midtown in NY! So I guess now it's a matter of the master planned community lifestyle vs. more established community. Is there an appreciable difference in the quality of Lake Travis ISD compared to Eanes? I know they are both rated exemplary but that doesn't tell the story I'm sure. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Here's a recent thread that talks about Lake Travis vs Eanes.
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...oods-lake.html

The bottom line is that they are both very exemplary districts. One district is basically built-out as they don't have any more land, and the other district is continuing to grow and will eventually add new schools as LTISD won't be able to continue to function as a 1 high school district for too many more years. Do you like knowing what things are or are you ok with growth and change?

By the way, there are plenty of established master planned communities. I'm not sure why you're stereotyping only new communities as master planned. Lake Pointe has a custom section in the back in addition to a gated section of higher end homes. The Uplands and the Reserve are both higher-end homes in the area. Falconhead even has a gated second of very nice custom homes. Spanish Oaks isn't the only thing, unless that's the only community "design" you like.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Spanish Oaks is pretty fabulous and if you can afford it and like amenities then I'd seriously consider it. Despite it's location, Bee Cave is "suburbia light". You'll be amazed at all of the other NY/NJ/PA license plates you'll see there.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM

307 posts, read 721,350 times
Falconheadwest has obviously not tried to get on Mopac from Southwest Parkway Monday-Friday from 7:30am - 8:30 am. It can be 10-15 minutes just for that intersection. Outside of those days/times, you will be good. And the 71 expansion they did in front of Spanish Oaks helps a lot....
You (or your husband) should try the commute on a Monday morning at 8:00 just to know what they are in for. From Spanish Oaks to downtown it could take 35-40 minutes with Mopac traffic. Just try it out one day (when school is in session) to make sure everyone is cool with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Spanish Oaks, from the East end exit/entrance, is right down the street from Southwest Parkway which would take you to Mopac which takes you straight down town. 15 minutes, tops. That's not "far" out. Now, if you're further to the West exit/entrance, that's getting a little further out and more like 20-25 minutes because now you've got several lights and traffic to get past.

I live a little further past the West exit/entrance, in Falconhead West, and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to downtown on most days, but I don't go at peak hours. Avoiding Bee Caves Rd and going down Southwest Parkway is an easy commute from Spanish Oaks.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollard View Post
Falconheadwest has obviously not tried to get on Mopac from Southwest Parkway Monday-Friday from 7:30am - 8:30 am. It can be 10-15 minutes just for that intersection.
I think you're thinking of the 360 and Mopac intersections off Bee Caves Rd, as Mopac never has a 10-15 minute wait at the light. 2 lanes turn left and it goes quickly. I every so often have to be across town early and go that way. Have never been stuck at that light. On Bee Caves Rd, yes, not Mopac.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFidje View Post
Thank you. I agree, if that's the real travel time that is completely reasonable. Heck, it takes my husband longer now to get from Tribeca to Midtown in NY! So I guess now it's a matter of the master planned community lifestyle vs. more established community. Is there an appreciable difference in the quality of Lake Travis ISD compared to Eanes? I know they are both rated exemplary but that doesn't tell the story I'm sure. Thanks.
That's a real travel time at 3AM in a Ferrari.

At a rush hour travel - triple that (and it will only get worse every year).

If it were me I'd be in Rollingwood in a heartbeat. You'll be in the best school district in Austin in a beautiful neighborhood very close in with tremendous amenities at your doorstep. And you have the scratch to get a very nice place - it's not like you'll be compromising.

However, they are building a covert dealership on 71, if that short of thing interests you.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM

No Ma'am, you couldn't be more wrong. It is the Southwest Parkway intersection where you go under Mopac and turn left on the frontage road in front of Best Buy to merge onto Mopac. It can take 3 lights just to get through the first light (before going under Mopac) another light or two to actually travel under Mopac and turn left onto the frontage road, and then all hell breaks loose trying to sit in line trying to merge onto Mopac.
I don't know what you mean by "be across town that way" but you would only experience this problem if you were heading "down" (or South/East as it is) on Southwest Parkway and trying to merge onto Mopac North.
I invite you to come join the fun one morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I think you're thinking of the 360 and Mopac intersections off Bee Caves Rd, as Mopac never has a 10-15 minute wait at the light. 2 lanes turn left and it goes quickly. I every so often have to be across town early and go that way. Have never been stuck at that light. On Bee Caves Rd, yes, not Mopac.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Someone who knows what they are talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
That's a real travel time at 3AM in a Ferrari.

At a rush hour travel - triple that (and it will only get worse every year).

<snip>.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin