Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:38 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times

Advertisements

jenuw, don't do too much thinking about all this stuff. Just make the plunge and the big move!! Everything ends up working out and equaling out in the end.

I know this is a huge move for you and certainly must be pretty scary since it's your first out of the state of Washington. But please don't worry. Austin will embrace you with open arms and I'm confident everything will work out great for you.

Life is an adventure!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 AM

164 posts, read 727,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post

Life is an adventure!!!
Yeah, if you've got money like many of the equity-rich folks who are coming here. But if you're check to check, as many folks are, an extra $50 a month can be a challenge. I know plenty of single people in Austin who struggle to make it here.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:45 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
You really can keep your electric costs down if you use fans and keep the AC high. In a modern apartment of moderate size, there is no need to pay $100+ a month if you don't want to. It will require some adapting, though, to slightly warmer temps. Most people do fairly well just turning the AC down at night, which is cheap, and leaving it ~78 -79 while 'active' in the apartment. 82 or so while you are gone helps immensely.

You can actually pull your own electric records from the utility company. I would think anyone should be able to for an apartment complex, but not sure. You should ask for those from the apartments, in any case, before you commit. Maybe I will go see if I can find some......

Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 AM

164 posts, read 727,733 times
Problem is I work from home and have reached a point in life where heat isn't only coming from outside. You gals know what I mean.

I do think that seeing daylight around my door isn't helping my utility bill any, but I'm outta here in December.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Lol, I work with a few 'space heaters', and trying to get our office space comfortable is quite a challenge.....

Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 PM

19 posts, read 189,069 times
thanks for the reassurance AustinTraveler. I'm just a worrier and want to make sure I have as much info as possible.

Maybe I'm just not understanding how an AC works, but why would you turn it UP to save money? Wouldn't you want to turn it DOWN or off? When I think UP I'm thinking its pumping out more cold air, which uses more energy, right? AC lingo isn't part of my life... it is possible you are all referring to UP as in a set degree temp, so it won't cool it down as much if the temp. is up? I AM thinking about this too much, haha.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:59 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenuw View Post
thanks for the reassurance AustinTraveler. I'm just a worrier and want to make sure I have as much info as possible.

Maybe I'm just not understanding how an AC works, but why would you turn it UP to save money? Wouldn't you want to turn it DOWN or off? When I think UP I'm thinking its pumping out more cold air, which uses more energy, right? AC lingo isn't part of my life... it is possible you are all referring to UP as in a set degree temp, so it won't cool it down as much if the temp. is up? I AM thinking about this too much, haha.
Best way to save money on electric bill:

Summertime: Turn thermostat higher
Wintertime: Turn thermostat lower
Spring and Fall: Turn A/C off

Have you ever watched your electric meter when your A/C comes on? Very interesting watching the little rotating dial speed way up. Those little "laps" are funny to watch....until you get the electric bill at the end of the month...not so funny anymore!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 AM

944 posts, read 3,955,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingal View Post
Yeah, if you've got money like many of the equity-rich folks who are coming here. But if you're check to check, as many folks are, an extra $50 a month can be a challenge. I know plenty of single people in Austin who struggle to make it here.
That's true. BUT... jenuw is coming from Seattle, where the cost of living is higher than all areas around Austin in general, so if she's willing to live outside of the "inner circle" of high-demand central Austin then she can live very cheaply here. Our unemployment rate is lower as well, but a commute would suck. Yet there again, it's the same in Seattle-- horrible place to commute, great place to live if you're near work.

In other words, I agree with AustinTraveler ---- just MOVE or STAY, cuz either way it's going to be a bit of a struggle to survive.

JenUW, you really should use the resources I sent you. If you show up not knowing anyone here and not having any contacts, then it's going to be a lot harder than if you have a bit of a head start. SouthAustinGal and lots of other locals seem like good folks too, I'd ask them for contacts. If you're worried about contacting strangers online, just get references on them and use your intuition. You need allies when you arrive here, it's a fast-moving place and there's a huge difference between living well in the middle of the action vs. being stuck in a sprawling ugly cheap suburb struggling to pay rent with no friends anywhere nearby. Make direct connections, there are safe ways to do that! If you hear the voices of the women I referred you to, you'll instantly know what I mean, you can tell they are GREAT people who will help you if they can, but they certainly won't harm you in any way.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 14,359 times
Question im concerned too from cali

At the moment I live in
san diego practically on the beach, with no a/c. we open up the windows and have fans going constantly. (1 bedrm apt)
We are looking to move to austin in 6 months....
at the moment we pay about $50 a month for utilites year round... we are concerned about the electric bills when we move. We are looking into a 3/4 bedroom house. Is it possible to survive on fans sometimes too?? What are our bills gonna look like????

Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default Fan Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse618 View Post
At the moment I live in
san diego practically on the beach, with no a/c. we open up the windows and have fans going constantly. (1 bedrm apt)
We are looking to move to austin in 6 months....
at the moment we pay about $50 a month for utilites year round... we are concerned about the electric bills when we move. We are looking into a 3/4 bedroom house. Is it possible to survive on fans sometimes too?? What are our bills gonna look like????
Hello seahorse618,

I'm in San Antonio, but the weather is similar to Austin's as we are only 60 miles away. I let the people in Austin provide you with actual rates, but here is a web site you can look at: http://www.electric.austin.tx.us/

As for fans (I have 6 of them in my house), you can use them during the spring and fall instead of A/C (if it is not too humid). During summer, use them with the A/C on and raise the temperature a couple of degrees on the thermostat to save on your electric bill. The breeze from the fans makes it feel cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: