Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times

Advertisements

I live in south central Austin and I was just out at 620 for about the third time in my life on Friday. That is far far away. I was reverse commuting (coming back into town on Friday afternoon) and I could not imagine doing it daily! I have no idea where 620/2222 is, but from 360/2222 you can take 360/71 to I-35 (the big swooping exchange becomes the Oltorf exit). If 360 was backed up you could take 2222 to Mopac but that is also a nightmare of traffic at rush hour. If you can't move closer (anywhere closer to I-35 will be less of a commute for both of you), can you work off-hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhuemmer View Post
I'm not looking for advice on where to live, just on the best way to travel. I've lived in Austin over half my life, so I know where everything is. What I don't know is how bad traffic is on 360 going north during afternoon rush hour. That's the question I'm asking.
It is horrible. You should go drive it tomorrow to see for yourself what you would be getting into.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is horrible. You should go drive it tomorrow to see for yourself what you would be getting into.
Actually, traffic tomorrow will be lighter than normal. Leander ISD (the district 2222/620 is in) has Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off. Try making the drive the following week. Not fun.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Helicopter, if it hasn't been recommended already....

Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM

48 posts, read 90,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
For your own good and the greater good of Austin traffic, I'd recommend looking somewhere south of the river. That sounds like an absolutely awful commute with no route that'll be faster than another.
Have to agree with Westerner. There is NO "better" route, they are all equally pathetic. Thank the leaders of Austin for refusing to expand the road system while the population doubled over the last 20 years. They are covertly trying to force you out of your car and on to a bus, toy train, or bicycle.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM

48 posts, read 90,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
That commute during rush hour is going to take years off your life. But since you asked, IMO the best route would be east on 2222, south on 360 which turns into 290/71 east, which moves fast and you can just hop onto the 35 frontage road (N) to your workplace.

There's no such thing as "hopping" onto a road in Austin during rush hour traffic.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Google Maps is a good planning tool for checking out possible commutes. Enter the end address and let the map display. Then click Get Directions and enter the starting address (intersections are fine). Then click the Traffic button at the top left of the map.

By default you will be shown current traffic on the suggested route (it's currently a mess). Click the button at the bottom left and you can set the day and time you want to check, and it will show you the average conditions from the historical records.

From there you can play around with different routes and commute times to see what's best. And with a click of the double arrow button you can display the return trip.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBlue View Post
There's no such thing as "hopping" onto a road in Austin during rush hour traffic.
There is at the intersection mentioned. As for forcing you out of your car? Good! They should! Hopefully more options will begin to present themselves so we don't have to drive.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBlue View Post
Have to agree with Westerner. There is NO "better" route, they are all equally pathetic. Thank the leaders of Austin for refusing to expand the road system while the population doubled over the last 20 years. They are covertly trying to force you out of your car and on to a bus, toy train, or bicycle.
And I thank them for that. I now spend less than 5% of my income on transportation and more on retirement and vacations......and get my exercise in to boot.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM

326 posts, read 685,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
There is at the intersection mentioned. As for forcing you out of your car? Good! They should! Hopefully more options will begin to present themselves so we don't have to drive.
I don't know about you, but I actually enjoy driving (even in rush hour). I like driving my car whenever I want and being able to go anywhere anytime that I want. I don't want to have to rely on a bus schedule or anything like that. Even if I did that, there are no bus routes even remotely close to my house. I guess this is just my Texan mindset talking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin