Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 PM

30 posts, read 42,553 times

Advertisements

First Post

Anyway, I am a new transplant from suburban Philadelphia, PA to Cedar Park, TX. I just wanted to really change it up - so I packed up my car one day and moved down here after a few weeks of looking around. I am staying with family here right now but am looking to move in a few months to whatever college takes me.

I was a business major at my old college but I decided to go in to architecture if at all possible. Looking through the accredited schools in Texas, I found this list:

-Prairie View A&M
-Rice
-Texas A&M
-Texas Tech
-Houston
-Texas-Arlington
-Texas-Austin
-Texas-San Antonio

I attended Millersville University of PA and ended up leaving after my financial aid didn't come through for the fall 2012 semester. I had a pretty rough last year there and now my GPA is a 2.42 overall. Currently, I am at Austin Community College taking classes in the spring semester here to boost the GPA into the 2.7 range or so. With that knowledge, I know it would be a waste of time/money to apply at Rice, Texas-Austin, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. That leaves:

-Prairie View A&M
-Houston
-Texas-Arlington
-Texas-San Antonio

I have applied to both Houston and Texas-San Antonio. I should be hearing from them shortly. I was accepted into UTSA's business program for the fall '13 semester but I applied for a change of major into the architecture school.

As for UT-Arlington and PVA&M I have read that PVA&M is an all black school (I am a 22 yo white male) and that I would be in the extreme minority if I even applied, leaving UT-Arlington the only other one to apply at. It appears they are on San Antonio's level in terms of academics. Is this true?

Also between the 3 (Houston, UTSA, UTA), which has the best combination of:
-College Experience (students living on/all around campus)
-Proximity to entertainment/things to do
-Surrounding City
-Academic Prestige
-Potential Job Placement

I was also looking at Oklahoma/OSU but I couldn't find any info on transfers for OSU and Oklahoma has a 5 year program for Architecture majors. I could do it, but wouldn't be too happy about graduating at 27. How would you rate them vs UH/UTSA/UTA?

Any responses would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Are you absolutely, dead-set, completely, nothing will ever take the place, ordained by a higher power, irreversibly settled on becoming an architect?

Tough field unless you are well connected or well off.

I know two architects with decent degrees and loads of experience, one just got his commercial pilots license and the other flips houses for a living.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
This may not help much but my son is in architecture at A&M now. He understands that the job market is challenging now. But one reason he chose A&M over others was its strong adoption of digital technology in its design work. A&M's use of 3D modeling and animation is notable and different from other schools using more traditional methods.

He expects that design firms at the leading edge are looking for a new generation of architect, not a younger version of the same architects that are looking for work now.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Can you boost a GPA of a degree that has already been awarded? The only schools on that list that may consider a sub 3.0 GPA will be UTSA, UT-Arlington and Prairie View.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin