Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,187 times

Advertisements

ImOnFiya advice 1-4 is awful. You're married. Enjoy being together and have babies if you want. Babies don't ruin a marriage. They only do if you want them to. I've lived in North Carolina my whole life and have lived in Austin for the past three years. Austin is good but I like North Carolina better.

It's hard to go wrong with either choice. Almost everyone in Austin seems to be an implant and so you have a diverse mix of people here, which is good. North Carolinians are very nice and so are people in Austin, from what I can tell.

The biggest difference comes in three things, temperature, housing and politics. While governments everywhere try to control things, Austin's city council seems to be like totalitarians. Plastic bags are outlawed, Uber and Lyft are illegal. Limits on how big your house can be and extreme limits on your freedoms to build onto your house are among the top that come to mind.

Because of this housing is more expensive in Austin than North Carolina by a significant measure (although housing is becoming more expensive in Raleigh and some parts of Charlotte) Owning a home in Austin is difficult right now with how fast everything is moving, mid 2014. It's hot in Austin and doesn't rain as much as North Carolina so it's better for motorcycles but in NC I believe you're closer to the mountains and the beach which I like. You have 4 seasons in NC where you don't so much in Austin.

Both are family friendly and have plenty of churches to attend. Austin would be closer to your family in CO but maybe you want to be further away. There's tons of free stuff to do in Austin which I love compared to Raleigh, where it seems less free festivals and events. Lots of businesses do kick-offs and product promotions in Austin which they don't do in Raleigh but seem to do a lot of in Charlotte. Austin is a big city with a small town feel. Austin also has a really annoying phrase, "keep Austin Weird" which isn't really applicable because Austin is becoming more and more like Dallas every day. Austin isn't weird at all really...not more than other places I've lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,571,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisewing View Post
ImOnFiya advice 1-4 is awful. You're married. Enjoy being together and have babies if you want. Babies don't ruin a marriage. They only do if you want them to. I've lived in North Carolina my whole life and have lived in Austin for the past three years. Austin is good but I like North Carolina better.

It's hard to go wrong with either choice. Almost everyone in Austin seems to be an implant and so you have a diverse mix of people here, which is good. North Carolinians are very nice and so are people in Austin, from what I can tell.

The biggest difference comes in three things, temperature, housing and politics. While governments everywhere try to control things, Austin's city council seems to be like totalitarians. Plastic bags are outlawed, Uber and Lyft are illegal. Limits on how big your house can be and extreme limits on your freedoms to build onto your house are among the top that come to mind.

Because of this housing is more expensive in Austin than North Carolina by a significant measure (although housing is becoming more expensive in Raleigh and some parts of Charlotte) Owning a home in Austin is difficult right now with how fast everything is moving, mid 2014. It's hot in Austin and doesn't rain as much as North Carolina so it's better for motorcycles but in NC I believe you're closer to the mountains and the beach which I like. You have 4 seasons in NC where you don't so much in Austin.

Both are family friendly and have plenty of churches to attend. Austin would be closer to your family in CO but maybe you want to be further away. There's tons of free stuff to do in Austin which I love compared to Raleigh, where it seems less free festivals and events. Lots of businesses do kick-offs and product promotions in Austin which they don't do in Raleigh but seem to do a lot of in Charlotte. Austin is a big city with a small town feel. Austin also has a really annoying phrase, "keep Austin Weird" which isn't really applicable because Austin is becoming more and more like Dallas every day. Austin isn't weird at all really...not more than other places I've lived.
This thread is a year and a half old...I believe the OP landed in the Denver area.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM

320 posts, read 487,453 times
We moved to Austin last year from Cary, NC. I think Cary/Raleigh would have more of what you are looking for as far as lifestyle. It's also much cheaper to live there. The humidity is a downside and Mosquitos. I lived in LA for 15 years so I found it a little boring while we were there for 4 years, but now that we are in Austin I do miss a lot about it and wonder if we should have moved. We like being outdoors and Austin is better for that. And there are more choices for restaurants and entertainment here, just find it more interesting here for us. Cary is a great place to raise a family, schools are excellent and the job market is good. Downtown Raleigh is fun and changing to be more urban and hip. You can get to the mountains and beaches easily, DC is a 3-4 hr drive. We drove to FL a lot to visit family. No worries about finding a church there. That's the first thing anyone asks there is what church you go to. Most social life revolves around churches there, which is another reason we were bored and felt a little out of place.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 PM

320 posts, read 487,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
This thread is a year and a half old...I believe the OP landed in the Denver area.
Ah great! Just saw your answer lol. Oh well, maybe this will help someone else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: