Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 40,437 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Austin from New Jersey in January, and I have been researching different elementary schools and neighborhoods. I have seen some beautiful homes online in Oak Creek Parke. Is this area as nice as Circle C? What do you think about Circle C? Does anyone have experience with either Baranoff or Kiker elementary schools? I would appreciate any information. TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating Rob View Post
My family is moving to Austin from New Jersey in January, and I have been researching different elementary schools and neighborhoods. I have seen some beautiful homes online in Oak Creek Parke. Is this area as nice as Circle C? What do you think about Circle C? Does anyone have experience with either Baranoff or Kiker elementary schools? I would appreciate any information. TY
Do you require proximity to Downtown? If not, then check out Steiner Ranch as well. The area with newer construction attends Laura Welch Bush Elem. and it's rated Exemplary. Right accross the street, the Middle School is also rated Exemplary. By the way, I am not, nor have I ever been a RE Agent. I just like bragging about the Exemplary status.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Steiner Ranch is a hike to downtown. The easiest and fastest route to the city is either Circle C or Meridian. Meridian is a new community. Homes in the upper 200s to 600s, eventually one million dollar homes as well. There is a new elementary school going in the subdivison. Circle C is also exceptional. No offense to Steiner residents but I think it is overcrowded and kind of isolated. I prefer the SW area. Some of the best schools in Austin feed into the SW.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Steiner Ranch

I looked at some homes in Steiner Ranch and absolutely loved them. I did feel a little isolated though. We are coming from an extremely overpopulated
place, but I am worried about going too far in the other extreme.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,594 times
The homes in Oak Creek Parke are very nice. It is lit only by the gas lights in the evening - it has a great feel. It goes to Baranoff and the parents are very involved to keep it that way. They were considering rezoning it, and I signed the petition to keep them going to Baranoff.

Circle C is master planned. So there is a difference in feel and there are a bunch of restrictions. They should be getting a new middle school in a few years. All of the elementary schools in Circle C are great (as is Baranoff).

Deciding between the two neighborhoods is really just a matter of taste and finding the right home.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-29-2007 at 06:33 AM..

Old 10-29-2007, 06:07 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
I have seen some beautiful homes online in Oak Creek Parke. Is this area as nice as Circle C?
"Nice" is a subjective term. It's at least on par with regard to the midgrade homes found in both neighborhoods. It's a smaller neighborhood/community for sure, which will be a good thing for some and not for others.

Steve

Old 10-29-2007, 06:09 AM

Define midgrade homes please?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating Rob View Post
Define midgrade homes please?
Homes that are production built. Not high end or low end, but in the middle. A good, middle of the road home for Austin, at or slightly above the average price for Austin.

Steve

Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 71,084 times
Default Your on the right track

You might consider the homes that feed Mills Elementary. It's Exemplary and the surrounding neighborhoods offer a wide price range and very good values.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:34 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
You might consider the homes that feed Mills Elementary. It's Exemplary and the surrounding neighborhoods offer a wide price range and very good values.
Baranoff and Kiker are rated exemplary also.

We're looking into the SW area. We didn't like Circle C because it looked too golf course/country club for us -- just not our style. I liked the HEB over there and the retail area though. I saw kids all over the place. We also don't like houses that are the 3 sided brick with the siding in back and 2 story.

We really liked Shady Hollow -- the older section -- because it had bigger lots with nice old trees. The houses were more one story, 4-sided limestone, stucco and brick. I didn't see many kids in the older section but I did see a lot near the community pool. It seemed like it was more down to earth and maybe a little more blue collar. We really liked the vibe.

If you're looking for a new home, there is a new subdivision called Brodie Springs that it just north of Shady Hollow on Brodie, south of Slaughter. The houses have that typical look you see in Austin... they looked really nice. They are out of our price range though.

http://www.grandhavenhomes.net/commu...e-springs.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin