Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardinal View Post
Any sane progressive-minded person should be completely opposed to this. This would just infuriate the voters and wreck any chance of effecting actual positive changes in the future.
Not trying to be contentious, but do you live in the Austin area? Have you watched Council for any length of time? Just curious - not trying to dismiss your observation.

Because THIS is exactly who the current council is. The same council that, immediately after voters turned down affordable housing bonds, took the majority of a budget surplus and spent it on affordable housing any way. That is seriously considering a sale-leaseback of the airport, in part, to avoid a vote on urban rail funding. That, after voters put a geographic representation proposal on the ballot by referendum, put a competing "incumbent protection" proposal on as well. And on and on and on. They don't fear "the voters", because until now, they haven't had to run in a general election. The result is, a council that is drawn from a VERY NARROW cross section of the city.

William Pitt had it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
COA: combining the draconian over we've come to love with the lack of results we've come to expect.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
And if you believe that, I've got some beachfront property on Brushy Creek.
What exactly is wrong with what I said?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Um... the stuff mentioned in the article (no step up to the front door, a first floor bathroom, lever handles) costs absolutely nothing extra on typical new construction. This is much ado about nothing.
You've never built anything have you? That's ok, but you should refrain from speaking out on stuff you have absolutely no knowledge about, it makes you look foolish. HTH

Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What exactly is wrong with what I said?
The chances of a builder change or upgrade resulting in only a 20% additional margin over cost are 'slim, none, and ain't gonna happen'. The stories in this forum are rife with examples of builder add-ons and changes resulting in doubling or more the amount of the change.

The chance of a code-approved ramp with proper slope and access from a walk or driveway costing only two thousand dollars is laughable. Maybe as a one-off on a flat parcel; but there are plenty of new-construction driveways out there on a 20-30 degree slope. No way that connects properly to a ramp for two grand.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Where does Austin find these lunatics?

I own a wheelchair that has been used extensively by immediate family members in recent years, but come on people!

And one of my grandsons who has cerebral palsy spent about a year in a wheelchair when he was a toddler recovering from corrective surgeries, so it's not like I'm hostile to the idea of making houses ADA friendly.

Choice....how does it work?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM

25 posts, read 36,318 times
This is not much different than the law requiring that all hotels have a permanently installed wheelchair lift in their pool. Instead of having a much cheaper, less intrusive temporary wheelchair lift that staff could put out when needed, they required that all hotel pools be retrofitted with a permanently installed wheelchair lift. In high school I lifeguarded at a city pool that had a permanent lift installed and it sat there for 5 summers and wasnt used once.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM

81 posts, read 221,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Not trying to be contentious, but do you live in the Austin area? Have you watched Council for any length of time? Just curious - not trying to dismiss your observation.

Because THIS is exactly who the current council is. The same council that, immediately after voters turned down affordable housing bonds, took the majority of a budget surplus and spent it on affordable housing any way. That is seriously considering a sale-leaseback of the airport, in part, to avoid a vote on urban rail funding. That, after voters put a geographic representation proposal on the ballot by referendum, put a competing "incumbent protection" proposal on as well. And on and on and on. They don't fear "the voters", because until now, they haven't had to run in a general election. The result is, a council that is drawn from a VERY NARROW cross section of the city.

William Pitt had it right.
Well, I've only lived here for 22 years so maybe that's not enough. But I've worked in and around city politics for some time so I feel like I have a little sense of what's what.

Look, I hear what you're saying. The council does a lot of things that seem outrageous to COA observers, including you it seems. The examples you cite are certainly open to vigorous debate and AAS will write editorials and so forth. But few of those policies - however misguided they seem to the people paying attention - have the potential to incite outrage like this ADA-accessibility-in-private-homes issue. Your average Joe Blow Voter in Circle C or Steiner or NW Hills won't be picketing City Hall over the affordable housing switcheroo, but they will damn sure get their pitchforks out if we start telling them to outfit their private homes for the ADA. When you start hitting people in the face with do-gooder policies they tend to notice the "hitting in the face" part and forget about the "do-gooder" part. The plastic bag ban was bad enough.

The above posters have it right anyway - this idea is dead once 10-1 gets implemented anyway, so I'm not going to spend a bunch of time worrying about it.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balconesfault View Post
This is not much different than the law requiring that all hotels have a permanently installed wheelchair lift in their pool. Instead of having a much cheaper, less intrusive temporary wheelchair lift that staff could put out when needed, they required that all hotel pools be retrofitted with a permanently installed wheelchair lift. In high school I lifeguarded at a city pool that had a permanent lift installed and it sat there for 5 summers and wasnt used once.
Actually, it IS quite different. Hotels are businesses with public access. My home is not.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The chances of a builder change or upgrade resulting in only a 20% additional margin over cost are 'slim, none, and ain't gonna happen'. The stories in this forum are rife with examples of builder add-ons and changes resulting in doubling or more the amount of the change.

The chance of a code-approved ramp with proper slope and access from a walk or driveway costing only two thousand dollars is laughable. Maybe as a one-off on a flat parcel; but there are plenty of new-construction driveways out there on a 20-30 degree slope. No way that connects properly to a ramp for two grand.
So first: 20% margins are quite typical for production builders. No idea where you are getti g your information.

Second. I said "if the costs are 2000..." As in IF the cost to the builder is 2000 THEN the cost to buyer would be about 2400 based on 20% gross margins. IF the cost to the builder is 10K THEN the cost to buyer would be about 12k.

So down people. Read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin