Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM

19 posts, read 38,431 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm probably going to move to Austin here soon, but I'm kinda nervous about the weather. I'm from Iowa and I like things called seasons. I'm the rare person who loves cold and gloomy weather, and hates summer heat. I like wearing hoodies and flannel. So....

How bad is it in Austin? Does it snow? Can I still expect colourful, halloweeny autumns? How often can I wear my hoodies and flannel? How often is it cloudy? How often does it break 100*F? Is AC super abundant?

I kinda doubt the weather will deter me -- I'm moving because of the film scene. But I'm still just curious what to expect, and how to prepare.

...Also, should I be worried about snakes and scorpions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothpunk86 View Post
Hey, I'm probably going to move to Austin here soon, but I'm kinda nervous about the weather. I'm from Iowa and I like things called seasons. I'm the rare person who loves cold and gloomy weather, and hates summer heat. I like wearing hoodies and flannel. So....

How bad is it in Austin? Does it snow? Can I still expect colourful, halloweeny autumns? How often can I wear my hoodies and flannel? How often is it cloudy? Is AC super abundant?

I kinda doubt the weather will deter me -- I'm moving because of the film scene. But I'm still just curious what to expect, and how to prepare.

...Also, should I be worried about snakes and scorpions?
OUCH !
Hoodies and flannel could be worn for quite a few weeks of the year, provided you aren't outside during the middle of the day(the 'layers' approach works best during what we call 'winter'). Actually, many mornings this spring would suggest some warm clothing; but the daytime brings its own warmth in most cases.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
Oh man...

We have three seasons.

Cooler overall with wind and crazy weather changes mid-day.
Warmer with wind and crazy thunderstorms.
Really Hot with less wind.

The three never run in order, and can happen just about any time (except for the Really Hot part - that's a given from June-September)

We'll break 100+ I'd say around 70 times, and 95+ at least 100. You will walk outside at midnight on multiple occaisons and it will still be 90+.

I've worn a long sleeve shirt about 20 times this year, and a sweater maybe 10.

Halloween is usually in the high 80's-90's. "Autumny" doesn't exist here - at all.

I'll be frank - if you're even worried about heat, Austin is not a place you'll enjoy.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:

How bad is it in Austin?
100+ degrees for five months straight

Quote:
Does it snow?
No.

Quote:
Can I still expect colourful, halloweeny autumns?
No. The past two years many trees didn't lose their leaves until Christmastime and compared to where you live currently, there is no appreciable color change. It's often 80+ degrees for Halloween.

Quote:
How often can I wear my hoodies and flannel? How often is it cloudy? How often does it break 100*F?
December-February I can guarantee you'll have opportunity to wear a jacket. The second part of your question: We can go three months straight with 100 degree temps. Look up the summer of 2011. Mid 90s+ for five months minimum.

Quote:
Is AC super abundant?
Sure is -- we'd all be dead otherwise!

Quote:
I kinda doubt the weather will deter me
Are you sure since you say you hate hot weather? The weather is a major factor in living here.

Quote:
Also, should I be worried about snakes and scorpions?
If you are scared of merely seeing them AND you plan to be outside, sure, worry. You're not going to see them every day but they are a reality here -- at least in contrast to where you're coming from.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,315 times
I'm originally from Minnesota. I wore a windbreaker to work three times this winter. The locals wore ankle length down coats. If you like cool fall air, go on vacation. Austin doesn't have that crispness that you experience with fall in Iowa/Minnesota. The weather reporters will have orgasms about four times a year predicting massive accumulations of up to 1" of snow. Usually it doesn't happen. But when it does, do not leave your house. The drivers go beserk.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,315 times
I forgot about the skankes and scorpions question. I've had scorpions, tarantulas, and brown recluse spiders in my house. I got bit in my bed by a scorpion. Hurt like a bi@ch when it happened, but if you put ice on it right away, it's no big deal. Just shake out your shoes before you put them on. And don't kick over an ant hill. Fire ants are no laughing matter. Thos little buggers sting like hell.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Oh man...

We have three seasons.

Cooler overall with wind and crazy weather changes mid-day.
Warmer with wind and crazy thunderstorms.
Really Hot with less wind.

The three never run in order, and can happen just about any time (except for the Really Hot part - that's a given from June-September)

We'll break 100+ I'd say around 70 times, and 95+ at least 100. You will walk outside at midnight on multiple occaisons and it will still be 90+.

I've worn a long sleeve shirt about 20 times this year, and a sweater maybe 10.

Halloween is usually in the high 80's-90's. "Autumny" doesn't exist here - at all.

I'll be frank - if you're even worried about heat, Austin is not a place you'll enjoy.
I think your post includes a few exaggerations....

Average high in October is 82. Average low is 61. I've been trick or treating many Halloween nights with my kids and I don't remember a hot night. Slightly warm? Yeah. But usually a cool night.

As for 100 degree days, NOAA says the following:

For the OP's sake - he will not like our weather if he likes cold weather as much as he says. But perhaps he'll learn to enjoy shorts and sandals for 6-9 months a year.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Dude! Stay put! Or move to Chicago! And do you have a job lined up in our "film scene"? We have one but it is not as big or vibrant as it was 10 years ago.

I went to college in the upper midwest and somewhere in the attic is a trunk full of flannels and wool sweaters, never even opened it after moving here.

I wear hoodies here, it is my winter coat! We have something like 300 days of year of sunshine! And heat, lots of heat. Not as humid as Iowa but extra hot and extra long (May-September). My kids generally wear sandals when they trick or treat and I worry that they will be too hot in their costumes and not too cool. Never EVER had a kid have to wear a coat with their costume on Halloween. I consider it lucky if I'm not running the AC.

Seasons are basically hot and not quite as hot. No autumn at all, no changing leaves (maybe once every 5-10 years we'll get some color), spring is discernable and summer is ever-present.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM

19 posts, read 38,431 times
Thanks for the comments everybody. I say that I dislike heat, but I can still tolerate it. Iowa summers are very hot and humid, and last summer I worked in a blazing hot steel foundry during a record-breaking heat wave. If I can survive that I can surely survive Texas...

As for the critters question - I was more concerned with the danger factor than the creep factor. Scorpions aren't gonna kill me then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Dude! Stay put! Or move to Chicago! And do you have a job lined up in our "film scene"? We have one but it is not as big or vibrant as it was 10 years ago.
Really? According to what I've seen Austin is arguably the best place for film right now.

http://www.mafilm.org/2013/03/06/top...viemaker-2013/

I've thought about Chicago, but it's too expensive, and the crime rates scare me. Ditto for LA and NY. I don't have an industry job lined up, but Austin seems like a good place to get a foot-hold, and the best compromise for my needs.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I'm originally from Minnesota. I wore a windbreaker to work three times this winter. The locals wore ankle length down coats. If you like cool fall air, go on vacation. Austin doesn't have that crispness that you experience with fall in Iowa/Minnesota. The weather reporters will have orgasms about four times a year predicting massive accumulations of up to 1" of snow. Usually it doesn't happen. But when it does, do not leave your house. The drivers go beserk.
LOLOLOL!! I'm laughing so hard that tears are running down my face......

I can't imagine anybody from the midwest (especially the upper/more northern parts) tolerating Austin's heat, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: