Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times

Advertisements

City of Austin might offer employees paid parental leave | www.mystatesman.com

Amazing that the council would even consider this, given the economic climate and the tax-happy environment we're living in here. Let's face it, benefits are given to attract employees to jobs. The city doesn't need any help in attracting people to work there, and given the number of people moving to Austin....is this necessary?

I called every council member today, and I urge you to do the same.

Austin City Council Members | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I don't see what's the gripe, honestly. I am not a city employee and my job offers me 4 weeks paid time off, plus an additional paid time off based on pto.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
I dunno, off all the things that may or may not be universal, I really kind of have to agree with paid family leave. And benefits DO attract better employees, so your pool of potential employees grows and you can get better quality individuals.

Anyway, don't you live outside of the city of Austin (and I am not being snarky, I really don't remember)? What is the impact on you, if you do?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I dunno, off all the things that may or may not be universal, I really kind of have to agree with paid family leave. And benefits DO attract better employees, so your pool of potential employees grows and you can get better quality individuals.

Anyway, don't you live outside of the city of Austin (and I am not being snarky, I really don't remember)? What is the impact on you, if you do?
I'm a taxpayer in Northwest Hills. The impact on me is ever increasing property taxes and less city services because we can't afford them.

Do you live in the city of Austin?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Considering that city/state/county salaries are "frozen" fairly often, and routinely pay below private sector jobs, the benefit package is really all that attracts folks to gov't jobs (for the most part). I don't see 30 days of paid leave, after clearing out all vacation and sick time, as a big issue. Heck, many private companies pay for more time than that.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Considering that city/state/county salaries are "frozen" fairly often, and routinely pay below private sector jobs, the benefit package is really all that attracts folks to gov't jobs (for the most part). I don't see 30 days of paid leave, after clearing out all vacation and sick time, as a big issue. Heck, many private companies pay for more time than that.
I had no idea there were so many job openings with the COA because of low pay....? (There are 87 on the city's job opening page). Job security is what attracts people to government jobs, because no one ever gets fired, unlike private industry. It's a big issue when the city is arguing over closing schools, cutting back on services, passing bonds, and raising taxes.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
I don't see this as a problem, and I pay Austin city taxes. I got something similar at one point (not in Texas,) so it seems fair to me. Time with a new baby is important.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
My problem is that what should be an HR and compensation issue has become - like all things Austin - political. If the city HR manager comes at budget time and says they are having a tough time attracting talent because of X, Y or Z missing in the benefits package, then fine. But that isn't what is happening. It is, once again, something that the true believers that dominate council want - in the absence of any defined need.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
My problem is that what should be an HR and compensation issue has become - like all things Austin - political. If the city HR manager comes at budget time and says they are having a tough time attracting talent because of X, Y or Z missing in the benefits package, then fine. But that isn't what is happening. It is, once again, something that the true believers that dominate council want - in the absence of any defined need.
Yes, this.

I love babies, I love spending time with babies. If you agree, you should find a job that offers this benefit. Why should the taxpayers of Austin fund this for jobs that currently don't have it....and it doesn't seem to be a problem in attracting employees?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I don't see this as a problem, and I pay Austin city taxes. I got something similar at one point (not in Texas,) so it seems fair to me. Time with a new baby is important.
Is 30 days enough? Feel free to mail in a check contribution to the city of Austin to cover even more time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: