Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,218,641 times

Advertisements

Normally, I ignore these type of posts and chalk them up as many people are not nearly as strategic as others in their decision making processes when considering moving to a new place. But, in this case, I have to question your judgment and decision-making skills based on the fact that 1) you visited, had the opportunity to tour these places while here, and apparently did not (or perhaps closed your eyes) and then 2) signed a lease on a place sight unseen. Each of those on their own seem ill-informed; together they are unwise and plain silly.

COL calculators are helpful. You must at least know $150,000- $180,000 Austin metro homes are not going to be the same as those similarly priced in South Dakota, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob07 View Post
we're just worried we aren't going to be able to afford a nice neighborhood next year when we're looking to buy
If someone were to force me to make a statement on an accessible price range for homes based on what YOU say are your priorities are (or the things you don't want) -- I assume shady people means different socio-economic backgrounds (???) -- I would absolutely say that, somewhat close-in, with all that you hold dear is categorically not going to happen for under 200K and it's not a big secret. Not rocket science. That information is available after simply researching this site for 3-4 hours total -- you don't even have to visit Austin.

You could have looked here, PRIOR to signing your lease, like most parents do before choosing an address. https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffender/

And then you could have googled the area for general information. BEFORE you moved in.

In the interest of interwebs decorum, I'm choosing restraint and not addressing the parks comment in contrast the rest of what you're complaining about here.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulistic View Post
Have you driven through Sendero Springs, Behrens, Walsh, Brushy North and all the way down Great Oaks to Cat Hollow and Horizon Highlands or west to Avery? Some of the houses may not be in the $200k price range in these neighborhoods but it is beautiful drive and spotted with really nice parks and pools.

Brushy Creek trail is beautiful and the splash pads at Champion park and Brushy Creek park are free. Free means you will see a lot of families and kids from near and far. I have seen some people who will smoke near kids (ugh!!) but not "shady" people. You may enjoy the Quarry splash pad which is $1 per person in Wilco park east of 35 on 1431.
No he hasn't, probably.

Not directed at your post, but God forbid if you have to fratenize with people who may not look like you or make the same amount of money as you do! God forbid if people don't do things exactly like you do, like park their cars in their driveway. That makes them "shady", undesirable, and "dirty". UGH </vomit>

Old 07-01-2013, 12:37 PM

217 posts, read 328,098 times
There have been two officer involving shooting deaths within the last week in Round Rock. Not a good sign.

Woman identified in Round Rock officer-involved shooting | www.statesman.com

Two dead after Round Rock shooting | www.statesman.com

Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonaut View Post
There have been two officer involving shooting deaths within the last week in Round Rock. Not a good sign.

Dude, seriously? Come on, now! </incredulous>

Cmon, what kind of nonsense is this? It just keeps getting more ludicrous. Both of those shootings were due to people thinking it was smart to pull a gun on a cop. Duh, that could have happened anywhere, with the same result.

Everyone in Round Rock, be afraid. VERY AFRAID.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonaut View Post

So tell us how often this happens in Round Rock?

Are you trying to say two terrible incidents are a trend?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yknow, Mark, I'm trying not to bite and hold my tongue, but it's hard with this one. I think a lot of the original post is unreasonable, offbase, insulting and ranty.
Yes, it was unreasonable. And that is exactly why just giving an answer to the question would keep the thread from doing what the Op intended and it eventually steered to. A single thread created by someone with no previous posts touting Steiner Ranch and berating Round Rock with comments from two other posters with very few posts who also like to berate Round Rock doesn't seem legitimate. If we could only see the source IP address of each poster to do some matching.....

Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM

251 posts, read 398,439 times
Quote:
I understand. I just wanted to mention that suburban poverty as a whole is still low and it is still a good option (albeit not for everyone) as a place to live.

I can't say that I regret my investment at all either. It's been good for my family.
140% increase over a ten year period is something newcomers might want to be aware of. It's a trend that is unlikely to reverse.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM

217 posts, read 328,098 times
so if two people agree on something, they have to be the same person - and a witch hunt ensues? Is that how this chat group works?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Yes, it was unreasonable. And that is exactly why just giving an answer to the question would keep the thread from doing what the Op intended and it eventually steered to. A single thread created by someone with no previous posts touting Steiner Ranch and berating Round Rock with comments from two other posters with very few posts who also like to berate Round Rock doesn't seem legitimate. If we could only see the source IP address of each poster to do some matching.....
Yeah, I know....sorry, couldn't help it

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
140% increase over a ten year period is something newcomers might want to be aware of. It's a trend that is unlikely to reverse.
Don't want to start this again, but going from say 5% to 8% is not a big deal. Those are pretty good numbers right there. So, the suburbs have gotten more poor people. Why should that be something to be made aware of, if you're a newcomer? Is it that the burbs will be largely poor and Austin largely affluent? Don't really think so. What would be of note to me as a newcomer is a) crime rate, b) schools, c) amenities, and d) proximity to shopping. Most suburban areas are still low in crime and have decent schools, despite what this OP states. Also, many suburban cities are still comprised of mostly middle classed people.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,575 times
Quote:
Yknow, Mark, I'm trying not to bite and hold my tongue, but it's hard with this one. I think a lot of the original post is unreasonable, offbase, insulting and ranty. To give prospective buyers/tenants that sort of erroneous impression is crazy and anything but helpful.

Just because the OP's experience in one particular neighborhood didn't meet his lofty expectations doesn't mean that Round Rock East is filled with "dirty people" "trashy" whatever. Those descriptions are unnecessary and insulting. As a non-trashy, good wage earning, clean resident of RRE/Northern Pflugerville, I find the assertions to be steamy BS.

And what the f--- is a person's car parked in their fraggin driveway such a big deal? Give me a damn break. Good riddance.
I have to agree...as a East Round Rocker myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin