Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM

163 posts, read 408,719 times

Advertisements

Hmm... I know that there's a homestead exemption that allows a homeowner to do some electrical work in their own home, but they draw the line somewhere and for me personally, it would be when you need to tie the system into the 240V panel. You absolutely cannot mess with the meter unless you're licensed and have a permit, and it's unwise to do so if you like having an insurance policy. Your best bet might be to find a licensed electrician that will let you do all the grunt work, inspect it, and then handle the last foot where it gets expensive if you make a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 AM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm pretty sure that the work you do under a "Home Owner's Permit" still has to pass all the same inspections and approvals by the permit office. So unless you reallly know what you are doing, this could be a "hard row to hoe".
Of course the work has to meet code, that is the whole point in pulling the permit. The permit is the structure that the authority having jurisdiction has put in place to insure an inspection for compliance to the code. This structure also provides an avenue for remediation should it not meet these local a national code requirements.

Keep in mind there are two codes you have to follow:
1) NFPA-70 (NEC)
NEC 2011 (NFPA 70): National Fire Protection Association: 9780877659143: Amazon.com: Books

2) City of Austin Local Ordinance:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=159607

Oh and don't go get an apprentice license and think that you can do electrical work. If you read the TDLR rules it pretty clearly states that and electrical apprentice has to be supervised by an actual electrician. Yes, TDLR also say you have to have a license to do electrical work in Texas, but that does not apply to your own property and work you do for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
... You absolutely cannot mess with the meter unless you're licensed and have a permit....
Actually you cant do this even if you are licensed and have a permit. The new rules prohibit anyone but Austin Energy from pulling the meter, and I think the fine is $500. This also applies to PEC too.

So should you hire an electrician? Absolutely, especially if you don't have clue. However if you feel like you can do it, then go for it but hire one anyway to check your work, after you are done and don't let it bother you if you have to redo a few things. If you burn your house down or hurt someone, your insurance may not pay up, if the work you performed is not up to code.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM

206 posts, read 298,967 times
Sign up for the apprentice electrician license, just a simple fee. Quick summary of what is needed for PEC.

You will probably have to use AutoCAD or some CAD program to create the electrical line diagram and the array layout/location.

Since PEC doesn't offer rebates, and you will be paying full price since you are doing it yourself, do whatever you want just make sure it's up to code. National Electrical Code, and whatever PEC adopted. PEC is not Austin Energy.

PEC System Interconnection

Quote:
f you’ve purchased power-generation technology and are ready to put it to work, please contact us at least 60 days before interconnection and send in your Interconnection Agreement. Be sure to review our updated Interconnection Policy before completing the agreement.
http://www.pec.coop/Libraries/PDFs/I...ment.sflb.ashx

Quote:
4. Interconnection. Prior to interconnection Member shall (1) have fulfilled all requisites for the provision of electric utility service contained in the Tariff and Business Rules; (2) provide an interconnection plan and other information as described herein and as otherwise may be required; (3) comply with conditions for line extension; (4) provide satisfactory liability insurance; (5) sign and deliver this Agreement; (6) complete construction; (7) comply with laws; (8) have an inspection of disconnect features; (9) give notice of intent to energize; and (10) eliminate any conditions preventing interconnection. Member warrants to Cooperative that Member's power generating installation is constructed and will be maintained in a safe and reliable condition and will comply with the latest applicable codes.
5. Process. Member shall submit application and design plans in a form as requested by the Cooperative to the Cooperative for its review 60 days prior to planned interconnection. Member shall then notify the Cooperative for inspection of the disconnect features of the Member’s equipment a minimum of 30 days prior to energizing. After review and approval of the disconnect features of the Member’s equipment, Cooperative will then sign the Interconnect Agreement, and notify Member that the Member may activate the system.
http://www.pec.coop/Libraries/PDFs/I...licy.sflb.ashx

Quote:
Obtaining Interconnection
The following are conditions precedent to any obligation of the Cooperative to
interconnect or provide any form of electric utility service. Any person owning or
operating a qualifying power generating installation (hereafter “Member”) and
desiring to interconnect with the Cooperative’s system shall:
1. Comply with Policy
Apply for interconnection, provide an easement satisfactory to the
Cooperative, and otherwise comply with the policy of the Cooperative.
3. Provide Information
At least 60 days in advance of interconnection, Member shall submit a
plan showing the electrical design of the generating installation including
equipment for interconnection with the Cooperative’s system. Member
shall also provide such additional information as may be required by the
Cooperative. In the event Member’s plan involves the use of nonstandard
equipment or design techniques, the Cooperative may require
such plan to be approved by a registered professional engineer. Any
review or acceptance of such plan by the Cooperative does not
guarantee the adequacy of Member’s equipment to perform its intended
function. The Cooperative disclaims any expertise or special knowledge
relating to the design or performance of generating installations and
does not warrant the efficiency, cost effectiveness, safety, durability, or
reliability of generating installations.
6. Sign Contract
Sign and deliver to the Cooperative an Agreement for Interconnection
and Parallel Operation of Cogeneration or Small Power Production
Installation: 20 kW or Less.
7. Complete Construction
Construct the power generating installation and install a disconnect
switch and other protective equipment as may be required by the
Cooperative to protect its personnel, facilities, and operations.
8. Comply with Laws
Comply with applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, ordinances, and
regulations applicable to power generating installations.
9. Notify Cooperative
Notify the Cooperative in writing at least thirty (30) days in advance of
energizing the small power generating installation and permit the
Cooperative to inspect and test protective equipment.
C. Parallel Operation
2. Self Protected Generating Installation
The Member will furnish, install, operate, and maintain in good order and
repair all equipment necessary for the safe operation of the power
generating installation in parallel with the Cooperative’s electric
distribution system. The equipment will have the capability to both
establish and maintain synchronism with the Cooperative’s system and
to automatically disconnect and isolate the generating installation from
the Cooperative’s system due to either a malfunction of the power
generating installation or loss of power on the Cooperative’s system.
The Member’s power generating installation will also be designed,
installed, and maintained to be self-protected from normal and abnormal
conditions in the Cooperative’s electric distribution system. The
conditions for which the power generating installation shall be selfprotected
shall include, but not be limited to, overvoltage, undervoltage,
overcurrent, frequency deviation, and faults. The self protection will be
compatible with the Cooperative’s system protection arrangements and
operating policies.
Specialized protective functions may be required by the Cooperative
when, in the sole judgment of the Cooperative, the particular generating
installation characteristics and/or distribution system characteristics so
warrant.
3. Quality of Service
4. Safety Disconnect
5. Access
8. Metering
One standard service meter will be installed, maintained and operated by
the Cooperative. A connection will be provided for the meter in a
location that is acceptable to both the Cooperative and the Member. The
Cooperative may, at its own expense, supply, install, and maintain load
research metering for the purpose of monitoring and evaluating the
Member’s generating installation. The meter(s) will, by comparison with
accurate standards, be tested and calibrated as often as necessary. The
Member or the Cooperative may reasonably request such tests, and
shall be given notice of not less than five (5) working days when such
tests are to be made. Both the Member and the Cooperative will have
the right to be present at such tests. If a meter is found to be inaccurate,
it shall be restored to an accurate condition or replaced. If the tests
disclose that no unacceptable inaccuracies exist in the meter(s), then the
party requesting the tests shall bear the expense of the tests. A report of
the results of any tests shall be furnished promptly by the party making
such tests to the other party. Any meter(s) registering a deviation of not
more than two percent (2%) from normal shall be deemed accurate. The
readings of any meter(s) which have been inaccurate shall be corrected
according to the percentage of inaccuracy as determined by the tests for
a period of no more than ninety (90) days prior to the tests. If any meter
fails to register for any period, the facility output during such period shall
be estimated in the best manner possible as agreed upon by the
Cooperative and the Member.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,035 times
Bumping this, as Google thinks it's the most relevant thread to my question.

I'm in AE's service area in CoA, and I've assembled a DIY system for ~$1W, which I'm estimating could cost me ~$4500 after the ETC (Energy Tax Credit). This is for a 7.5kW system mind you, vs. ~$9k final out-of-pocket for a contractor-installed 5.5kW system! The only thing I'm going a little cheap on is the panels - new 290W B-grades for $.35/W local, and the differences are merely minor and cosmetic...

This assumes no AE rebate for DIY, vs. including the rebate for contractor's system in all #'s above.

CoA lists their homestead permit as suitable for any electrical work "not involving the main electrical feed", and since the PV system tie-in point is in the main CB panel (via branch CB), I'm well down-stream of the meter... so basically, any residential PV system <10kW qualifies under this logic.

Sounds like I'd need only the homestead permit and an approved DGPA (Distributed Generation Planning Application), which I've already filled out with no surprises.

I'm getting a new roof later this month courtesy of USAA, so considering I can also include my deductible towards the 30% energy tax credit, there's even another eight Benji's saying I should do it.

Anyone go through this or also considering this? Very curious on your thoughts if so! Please no "what I'd think/guess would happen is..." crap unless you've actually done some digging on this, or have 1st hand experience!

Thanks in advanced!!

Old 11-01-2023, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 309 times
Longshot I know since this thread is ancient - Leander311 did you ever successfully execute this plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin