Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:06 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times

Advertisements

Why are you even considering these areas? Cost of living is your driving motive for leaving California? Have you even bothered to visit or have you simply read articles that say Austin is the new promised land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,202 times
As a California native living in Austin... Please visit first. During the summer so you won't be surprised by the heat and humidity. I should be accustomed to heat having grown up in Palm Desert... But find the humidity too dang difficult ( for 5 mos a yr) ( and living in Santa Barbara 25 yrs gets one spoiled)

Having said that Austin is a great city. Great people.food, funky " keep it weird" culture, music scene is bountiful, music festivals like South by Southwest,Lots of film ( Alamo Drafthouse you are served food and brew). Whole foods, UT culture, Surprisingly green with apt of lakes and rivers.... Great Economy/Jobs ( much less salary) and affordable housing. A layed back feel for a large city
Fortunately the Hill Country is close by ( like the hills of Ojai)

Having said that I am (like many Ca expats) very very homesick.. No decent beaches, no mountains and outside of ATX,Dallas and Houston a very conservative place. Austin is a hip and liberal city often said to be the 3 rd coast. But it is an island in Tx... Like its own separate country!

A bit of advice- if u move here take your Ca plates off as soon as possible...

I just wish ATX was on the Pacific Coast

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Austin will be a good fit. Unless you were heavily dependent on the beaches (like you surfed daily or rode a beach cruiser through Laguna).

I don't think you'll need to visit. I'd avoid San Antonio.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
San Antonio is a great city with great suburbs. I absolutely love the tex mex vibe of the city. Your money will go far there. Personally, if I was single I'd move to either San Antone, Houston or better yet for me anyway, New York. Austin is great as well though I'm tired of some of the hype.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 10,720 times
Yep your dollar will go further in San Antonio.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
San Antonio is a great city with great suburbs. I absolutely love the tex mex vibe of the city. Your money will go far there. Personally, if I was single I'd move to either San Antone, Houston or better yet for me anyway, New York. Austin is great as well though I'm tired of some of the hype.
I must agree. SA is more of a real big city than Austin. It's also closer to the beach (ok, not technically an ocean- it's the Gulf).

Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Austin will be a good fit. Unless you were heavily dependent on the beaches (like you surfed daily or rode a beach cruiser through Laguna).

I don't think you'll need to visit. I'd avoid San Antonio.
Why would you avoid San Antonio

Old 07-20-2013, 02:10 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I must agree. SA is more of a real big city than Austin. It's also closer to the beach (ok, not technically an ocean- it's the Gulf).
SA is bigger and has pro sports and attractions like Six Flags and Seaworld. So yes, in that way. But in most other ways, I think Houston and Dallas are better for the big-city experience with big-city amenities in Texas. And if one wants near the beach, the only choice of those is Houston.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
SA is bigger and has pro sports and attractions like Six Flags and Seaworld. So yes, in that way. But in most other ways, I think Houston and Dallas are better for the big-city experience with big-city amenities in Texas. And if one wants near the beach, the only choice of those is Houston.
Honestly, I think that SA, Dallas, and Houston are in the same big city league. What's the difference?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Yes! Move to Austin. San Antonio is at capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin