Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:19 AM

129 posts, read 227,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
wrong. lots of health food in portland....& I don't see many Oregon Republicans in DC.

Watch out....Some of us will go early 70s or even early 60s if we feel like it.
You missed it, I was having fun with this poster's comment..like the Birkenstocks reference it just sounded so cliche...ZZzzzzzz...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Many (Most?) who post here have lived or traveled thru SoCal extensively. Many of us also have visited or lived in Houston or Atlanta or New Orleans or Orlando or NC or Virginia. Austin's (& SA's) humidity is much lower than these places...especially in the afternoon (when it's hottest). We're hot (& a little humid)....those places are "Africa" hot. (just because socal is dry doesn't mean central texas is "humid"...we're just more humid than socal).

Regarding the "LOLs" & the "this is laughable" comments. Condescending posts that are also kind of inaccurate (that come out of nowhere)..... reminds me of the guy who used to hop into the hot tub & then fart.
LOL! No, you're not a little humid you are very humid and you combine that with the heat it's can get tiresome (although it's not Houston) and let's not get started on the bugs, flying roaches that should be wearing their own license plates. Why the heck do you downplay the heat/humid combo aspect? Look around this forum, it's a global opinion that this climate is something to contend with in Central Texas. No biggie, it's just a sticky point (excuse pun) with me. Other than that, I loved my experience in TX.

Oh yes, regarding the "guy in the hot tub" with the flatulence, sorry to hear about your disorder Maybe you had too much Tex-Mex?? LOL!! try a little less white cheese.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
What I find laughable is that there are people who really think that Texas is the only State in the Union with residents who have never left it to visit anywhere else. I'm sure I could find some Californians that have never left California.
I know Texans who have never been to another city in Texas

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I know some New Yorkers who have never left Manhattan or Queens to go visit other towns in New York.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I know some New Yorkers who have never left Manhattan or Queens to go visit other towns in New York.
and are proud of the fact!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
You missed it, I was having fun with this poster's comment..like the Birkenstocks reference it just sounded so cliche...ZZzzzzzz...
Haha! You're so progressive that it's blowing my mind! I own a vacation home in Cannon Beach, so I know all about Portland and the state of Oregon. So, I obviously love the area and the people. I think you're skinny jeans and bowler hat are on too tight! I can keep up the lame outdated cliches for you.

By the way Shilterbahn is located in New Braunfels, not SA. Your list of what makes Austin so much better then SA is straight out of a tour guide. I would think an ultra cool progressive Austinite could come up with a better list.

There is a clear reason why people from SA use the slogan "Keep San Antonio Lame." I'm sure a smart person like you can figure it.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
- Raziel's not an austinite.

- & doesn't know what humidity is.

- & is heading back to SD (says his signature).

One less hipster in the hot tub.

OP, both cities are good places to visit & both are nice places to call home.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 AM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebw1 View Post
Hi there,
I am a 43 yr old single (divorced) woman with a 20 yr old daughter that is away at school. It is just too darn expensive here in So California and I want to get out. I am considering Austin and San Antonio, but am not really sure which would be better. I would like to be able to date a bit and have a social life, but not into going to bars all the time (did that when I was younger). I would love to be near good restaurants, walking/hiking trails, art galleries, etc. Ideally my rent would be less than $1000 per month for a 1 bedroom. (currently living in a tiny studio for $900) I would love to be in a small house if possible or at least yard space for my pup.

If you have lived in So CA or NoVA:
People from CA- I grew up in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach and currently live in Belmont Shore area of Long Beach.

VA people- I lived in Northern VA (Arlington) for a couple of years and loved it but it is also too expensive to consider going back. I lived off Lee Hwy close to the East Falls Church Metro and loved Alex. and the Shirlington areas.

Figured if I share what I am familiar with it may be helpful in providing ideas/differences in San Antonio and Austin.
Thanks for any help!!!
Move to San Antonio; most definitely.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM

60 posts, read 79,787 times
Quote:
-

OP, both cities are good places to visit & both are nice places to call home.
Thanks Hound!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Haha! You're so progressive that it's blowing my mind! I own a vacation home in Cannon Beach, so I know all about Portland and the state of Oregon. So, I obviously love the area and the people. I think you're skinny jeans and bowler hat are on too tight! I can keep up the lame outdated cliches for you.

By the way Shilterbahn is located in New Braunfels, not SA. Your list of what makes Austin so much better then SA is straight out of a tour guide. I would think an ultra cool progressive Austinite could come up with a better list.

There is a clear reason why people from SA use the slogan "Keep San Antonio Lame." I'm sure a smart person like you can figure it.
It's amusing that you think I wear skinny jeans and a bowler hat yet at the same time It's also kind of sad, because you sound like a relic that can't come up with anything else but a predictable stereotype, at least you're consistent with the cliches.

It's also humorous that out of my brief list of why I think Austin rules over S.A. that you pick apart an error on the water park's geographical location of New Braunfels instead of S.A. (so close/same to me) and then dismiss the entire listing as a "tour guide" or that I need to come up with a "better list"? Listing a quick comparison is easy, not rocket science pal, it's an opinion nothing more, nothing less you're over-thinking it. Oh wait, that was your feeble attempt at being sarcastic.. should have known
By the way, it's Schlitterbahn not Shilterbahn there genius... no disrespect, but you're the one taking off the gloves.

Austin still rocks over S.A. "in my opinion" LOL!! and who cares if you own property in Oregon and know all about Portland. I also love Portland and have many friends there it's gorgeous..so what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin