Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 37,879 times

Advertisements

- I am white and my wife is Korean. We have never had any problems here. There are many mixed Asian/white couples and families in Austin, and I have not heard about bad experiences.

- Allergies can be an issue, obviously it highly depends; varies from person to person. For myself, I find that if I am getting enough sleep then for whatever reason (immune system I guess) I don't suffer from allergies. As other posters have implied, allergy medicines seem to be improving these days but you would know more about that than me. Luckily my wife does not (yet?) suffer from allergies; she moved here relatively recently.

- Highly agree with the sentiment posted by Mr. Hound - 1) live in a good-school area relatively near your job. 2) 1/2 acre is probably too much (and is a lot to maintain as well) but you can find good lots over 6000 ft2 for sure.

- There is definitely less graffiti in Austin than in LA itself. In general, 311 will clean up most graffiti quickly. However, you should know that property crime levels aren't exactly low, though vary widely by neighborhood and even street. My bike was stolen a few months ago despite being U-locked.

- There are very good venues to do Crossfit and powerlifting as well as weightlifting. For powerlifting, Hyde Park Gym is a great place. Even most of the YMCAs around here have caught onto the trend and increased their number of deadlift bars/plates, squat racks, trap bars, etc. There are several Crossfit gyms that appear good as well, though I am not into Crossfit so cannot really go into detail there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Being in your position as a pharmacist, you can live just about anywhere..... small, big, north, south. I would consider looking at other options than just jumpin on the "Let's move to Autin" bandwagon based on what you've researched. There are penty of cities out there not as growing and not as hectic that are good places to raise a family. Its heading towards being a huge city.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Being in your position as a pharmacist, you can live just about anywhere..... small, big, north, south. I would consider looking at other options than just jumpin on the "Let's move to Autin" bandwagon based on what you've researched. There are penty of cities out there not as growing and not as hectic that are good places to raise a family. Its heading towards being a huge city.
Obviously, based on national trends, not all states - and therefore, not all cities - are equally desirable.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
No kidding..... which is why I said to maybe look elsewhere. Yet another magazine article

Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
No kidding..... which is why I said to maybe look elsewhere. Yet another magazine article
For a city and area you disliked so much, you sure do seem to focus on it a lot.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:13 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Pretty obvious you didn't read it before opining. Texas was one of the places that was viewed favorably.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
Don't Move Here.

The articles are listing us as the place to move to and it is hurting us. We are all being manipulated by the greedy.

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Pretty obvious you didn't read it before opining. Texas was one of the places that was viewed favorably.
I read it. I've seen the articles everyone posts, favorable and no. My point is, its "one" of the places, and a lot of the reason why Austin is getting bombed by peopple moving there sight unseen is articles just like that, which may or may not be any more than one guys opinion. I was giving my opinion. I'm all for the guy checking out Dallas and Houston too.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:41 PM

36 posts, read 60,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb8636 View Post
- I am white and my wife is Korean. We have never had any problems here. There are many mixed Asian/white couples and families in Austin, and I have not heard about bad experiences.

- Allergies can be an issue, obviously it highly depends; varies from person to person. For myself, I find that if I am getting enough sleep then for whatever reason (immune system I guess) I don't suffer from allergies. As other posters have implied, allergy medicines seem to be improving these days but you would know more about that than me. Luckily my wife does not (yet?) suffer from allergies; she moved here relatively recently.

- Highly agree with the sentiment posted by Mr. Hound - 1) live in a good-school area relatively near your job. 2) 1/2 acre is probably too much (and is a lot to maintain as well) but you can find good lots over 6000 ft2 for sure.

- There is definitely less graffiti in Austin than in LA itself. In general, 311 will clean up most graffiti quickly. However, you should know that property crime levels aren't exactly low, though vary widely by neighborhood and even street. My bike was stolen a few months ago despite being U-locked.

- There are very good venues to do Crossfit and powerlifting as well as weightlifting. For powerlifting, Hyde Park Gym is a great place. Even most of the YMCAs around here have caught onto the trend and increased their number of deadlift bars/plates, squat racks, trap bars, etc. There are several Crossfit gyms that appear good as well, though I am not into Crossfit so cannot really go into detail there.

Thank you very much. That was a very informative post! I appreciate that you would take the time.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 11,418 times
Moved to Austin from the east coast two years ago. Love my multicultural community that Westwood High School provides. Totally understand what you mean about California. Recently spent a few weeks there on vacation. It was not the Cali I remember from the 80's. Is now overcrowded, overpriced and a lot dirtier than I remember. Kids could not wait to come home and they are well traveled kids - Miami, NY, NJ, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, London. They couldn't figure out why I loved Cali so much as a kid.

One of the top high schools in texas with several Korean clubs including Kpop dance, Korean drums, etc. Also the HQ of Mu Sool Won is right down the street from the school. Korean "Hana" market is a 15 min drive just east of loop 1. Great area but very competitive and challenging school system.

One thing in Texas that you may not want is a large piece of land. The property taxes are high and if you plan to have grass or plants you could be looking at $400 - $600 a month during the summer for watering. Summer can be really hot. If you are financial able and are accustomed to lower square footage you may want to consider a small home here and a getaway place somewhere cooler that you can escape to in August. NM or CO come to mind. You can rent out the vacation property for the rest of the year.

Dallas is also a consideration. Affordable housing, good schools, jobs, etc. Would not consider Houston- the humidity would be a killer for someone coming from S. Cali. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin