Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 02:26 AM

115 posts, read 160,671 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We live in Utah and we are planning to move to Austin at the end of 2014.

We are four, two younger kids in second grade and my wife and I.

We are looking to rent first, our income is around $400,000 per year..

We are professionals working from home, so no commuting needed.

what is a great place to look for?

I will be calling some real estate agents but I would like some locals opinions. Originally we were thinking Dallas, but we are attracted to some of the rolling hills of Austin and the people.

We prefer a gated community with a lot of activities.

Home: 4-5 bedrooms, if possible with a pool.
Rent, flexible but it can go up to $4,000 per month.
School District, a very good one.

We are planing to rent for a year to see what areas we like, but we would prefer to rent in a nice area where we may buy.

Reasons to move to Austin:
No a harsh winter
Less income tax.
growing economy.
Friendly people

Summers here in Utah can get over 100 for up to 3 months, and winters can last as long as 5 months, we have snow right now to April or even May. We like Utah, but the winters are long, and Taxes seems on the rise.

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 05:44 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Pretty sure having multiple accounts is a TOS violation.

That said, you'll find more of what you're looking for in Dallas and even Houston. Very few gated communities in Austin.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
You won't have any issues with your budget, but Ez is right, many more gated community options in the other two cities than here. They aren't popular here.

I also find it curious that you called out 3 months of 100 degree weather in Utah. Having lived in CO for 13 years and spent an abundance of time in Utah, if extreme heat and length heat is a concern for you, you should steer clear of TX. Summers here, compared to what you are used to (dry heat included) are brutal. Utah summers are a walk in the park in contrast.

And you did point out no state income tax here so I'm hoping you also know that property taxes are very high and, for the most part, cancel that out.

Last edited by Idlewile; 12-22-2013 at 06:21 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 06:29 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
And you did point out no state income tax here so I'm hoping you also know that property taxes are very high and, for the most part, cancel that out.
That varies so widely by individual circumstances to be almost meaningless - especially with high income individuals such as this family. Utah charges a flat 5% income tax, on all income. For this family, that would be $20K/yr. Even if one were in a $850K house here - depending on location - their income vs. property taxes alone would be a wash. And that is before one gets to Utah real estate and personal property taxes that will move that break even point higher.

When we moved back from Virginia, our swing was $25K/yr. positive. Lower property tax rate on a more valuable (not nicer - just more expensive) house, plus property tax on our cars, plus income tax. Here, only higher rate in a lower assessed value. Plus to us.

Also, there are plenty of gated communities in the Austin area, if that is what you desire. I just looked. There is a house in the Hills of Lakeway for $3800/mo right now that will meet all your criteria. If you want rolling hills, Dallas or Houston aren't for you.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 PM

thanks for the link scm53.

This is what I have found out

Utah Texas
Real Estate taxes
(700,000 home) $5,600 (.8%) between $12,000-$20,000 depending on the area

Income tax $20,000 (5%) 0
(400,000)
Sales Taxes About the same about the same but DOES NOT tax non prepared food, so Texas is better here

Gas Tax 42.9 cents 38.4 cents per gallon

So I see it as a positive for us in Texas

Also, our income is projected to increase in 2014.

About summers and winters, my point was that we have 8 months with strong swings, I used to live in the west coast of Florida where summers are long and more humid than austin. We look at Houston but humidity is higher than Austin. We love the communities north west of Dallas like Grapevine and Southlake, but I am not sure about weather and landscape.

I like people in Texas, we have many friends mostly in Dallas and Houston, I also like people in Utah, so we will be missing many friends and relatives.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:24 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
There is no neighborhood in Austin that you are priced out of.

I can guarantee that the 100 degree weather in Utah is nothing like the summers here. Utah is very dry and cools off in the evenings and mornings. Here - the lows can be in the 80's or 90's even and its frequently a 100 by 10AM right through to 10PM or later. Nor do the hot temps start as early in the year or last as long.

It's unrelenting once it comes on and there is no break.

Winters can get cold for short snaps only though - usually there's lots of plenty of nice weather in the winters.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:42 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Hello,

I think you shouldn't limit your opinions to just gated communities. There are gated communities in the area, but I don't believe they are as popular as in other metros. People in Austin are very outdoorsy and social, so I believe there is less of a suburban 'siege' mentality or paranoia about crime. The only criteria I would give my realtor is price range and schools. Nearly every school district (except Del Valle ISD in SE Travis County) has some excellent-rated schools.

Drive around the areas of homes in your price range and think whether the area feels right for you. Then, rank your top areas, then dig deeper. Many areas of West Austin and Southwest Austin in AISD and Eanes ISD would seem to fit what you have described.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Thanks ImOnFiya, I will do, I am going to be in Austin in 4 weeks for a few days, thanks again

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin