Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,060,853 times

Advertisements

The city of Austin cannot control what goes on so far out from it, out of its jurisdiction, as in the case of many of these masterplanned communities mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 AM

102 posts, read 156,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
The city of Austin cannot control what goes on so far out from it, out of its jurisdiction, as in the case of many of these masterplanned communities mentioned.
Exactly, it's for the tax roles of the cities and ETJ's. Don't forget the small landowners who get in bed with developers and lawyers, and fight the cities to increase the zoned density so they can sell their land for more money. All being done behind the back of unsuspecting homebuyers who were sold "Hill Country views"

BTW, what percentage of the homes actually have views? Not the <400K ones. Maybe 15% of the homes? The rest have views of shrubs and other people houses, but people paid extra for them anyways. As long as you can call it the "hill country", your ego can rest easy.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how many years worth of supply we have in the hill country?

There are people scouring this forum thinking of moving here, and they deserve an honest answer.

I think it's about 80 years worth that will be accompanied by a slow decline in the quality of life for it's residents.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:06 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
I think you are trying to make some conspiracy theory, but not quite sure what about....?

Just cause I am bored on the last day of the year...

Quote:
increased time in traffic to get downtown, but the prices will go up anyways? Doesn't compute.
I am in SW Austin. Prices go up. Time to DT still increases. Same for RR, Bastrop, etc. The price goes up due to inflation and the fact that people are moving here faster than away. If everywhere traffic was getting worse went down in price, the whole area would be depreciating.
Quote:
They would rather wait a year to make 100K off a homebuyer, rather than 2 months to make 25K like they would in town?
Well, probably, if that were the case. But exactly where 'in town' are you going to build all these homes?

Quote:
Why couldn't people just live in Austin, and visit the hill country when they wanted to? Why did people have to ruin it out of sheer greed and ego, and the phantom menace of poor minorities they are trying to escape from.
a) Not currently enough supply for everyone moving here;
b) prices are higher, especially on a sf basis.
c) taxes are higher
d) many of those people moving out there are i) retired, ii) single income family (i.e. only one commuter), or iii) work out there

Oh, this is just silly, nvm .

Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Quote:
I think it's about 80 years worth that will be accompanied by a slow decline in the quality of life for it's residents.
What is this decline in quality of life bases on? Solely on traffic? My folks moved out west of Johnson city and love it. What is going to cause their QOL decline? The few people that move out around them?

My in-laws retired to north of Wimberely. What is going to cause their QOL decline?

Co-worker telecommutes/works part time in SW austin, lives south of Dripping. Is their modest increase in traffic going to cause some catastrophic QOL decline?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:12 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,283,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Oh, this is just silly, nvm .
As evidenced by the fact that half the posts are from the OP ...

Happy New Year, TW!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
The solution is, if you moved here within the last 50 years then move back to where you came from.

If you did move here, you are part of the problem.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM

221 posts, read 205,018 times
I would not get my pants in to much of a twist over this, in 40 to 80 years very few if any will still be around to post silly stuff anyway

I would be most concerned with water supply, but being an old fort I will not be around to see that either. Happy new year, enjoy the moment.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:26 PM

People are being charged more for something because they are told it's in limited supply when it isn't. I think builders and realtors are taking advantage of transplants who don't know better. 30 years ago you couldn't give away land in SW Austin because it had no practical value. Now a perception has been marketed and capitalized upon by realtors.

I'm done. Happy new year.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,825 times
it will be like Detroit in 5 years obviously...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin